Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it true..

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:12 AM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it true..

If you do not use Nissan Matic-S fluid for your transmission fluid, you automatically void your warranty?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:23 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
I don't know for sure and it probably depends on your dealer but I'm of the understanding as long as you use the same weight they can do no such thing. Even if it were the case the only thing it could void is transmission related parts and they would still have to prove the oil caused whatever problem you might incur.

Last edited by AroundTheG37; 11-22-2014 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LarryG (11-22-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 09:35 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
But why risk it? The risk/reward doesn't add up. Even if you get it for free you stand to loose quite a bit for a couple bucks.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I don't think that can be true. It would be like them voiding the warranty on your power train because you used Mobil 1 instead of the recommended (add any name here)

You know, transmissions are a very costly part of the car. I'd have the dealer do ANYTHING related to it, and let them use whatever the hell it is they want to use. Just my .02
Old 11-24-2014, 01:14 PM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BS, as long as whatever fluid you use meets the OEM specs your fine. Dealers in general for all car makes do everything & anything to get out of warranty work.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:17 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
i remember reading that the old Matic-J fluid for the G35 slushbox was mandatory, and that any independent shop familiar with Nissan would not use aftermarket fluids. i'm not sure if the Matic-S has the same stipulation, but that anecdote from the Matic-J fluid stuck in my head because it seemed unusual to me. that Nissan fluid must have had a novel formulation for which the slushboxes were very sensitive to.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Pretty sure its up to the dealer. I have used other the Nissan oil that meet the requirements all the time and no problem.. Maybe ask another dealer..
Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Cr0tchf4i

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I recently had my manual tranny fluid replaced- I asked if i could use something aftermarket and they said absolutely not. They'll look for any reason to void a warranty.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 AM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Cr0tchf4i
I recently had my manual tranny fluid replaced- I asked if i could use something aftermarket and they said absolutely not. They'll look for any reason to void a warranty.
Ehh, that's some serious BS right there. Whoever told you that didn't know their $%1t. I had my 6 speed manual replaced under warranty at 45K miles. They asked if I ever changed the gear oil, when I said yes and that I had done it myself at 30K, they only wanted to know that the brand/weight/spec fluid I had used was consistent with what was in the owners manual. The biggest thing they seemed to be concerned with was whether or not I used GL-4 instead of GL-5 oil. Once I told them what I used (it was a Redline product), they were satisfied and didn't even bother to check for receipts.

As far as Matic-S for the automatics, I wouldn't dare risk using anything else. As was mentioned previously, it is just not worth the hassles. It CLEARLY states in the owners manual not to use anything else or you risk voiding warranty. I mean, it's not like they're not straight up warning you, direct from the factory, in writing!!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:01 AM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Ehh, that's some serious BS right there. Whoever told you that didn't know their $%1t. I had my 6 speed manual replaced under warranty at 45K miles. They asked if I ever changed the gear oil, when I said yes and that I had done it myself at 30K, they only wanted to know that the brand/weight/spec fluid I had used was consistent with what was in the owners manual. The biggest thing they seemed to be concerned with was whether or not I used GL-4 instead of GL-5 oil. Once I told them what I used (it was a Redline product), they were satisfied and didn't even bother to check for receipts.

As far as Matic-S for the automatics, I wouldn't dare risk using anything else. As was mentioned previously, it is just not worth the hassles. It CLEARLY states in the owners manual not to use anything else or you risk voiding warranty. I mean, it's not like they're not straight up warning you, direct from the factory, in writing!!
The manual just says 'Recommended' and not 'Required'.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/conte...-G37-Coupe.pdf

Page 9-2.

A tech told me that you are able to use different transmission fluid as long as all the spec matches.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:44 AM
vqsmile

Originally Posted by LarryG
The manual just says 'Recommended' and not 'Required'.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/conte...-G37-Coupe.pdf

Page 9-2.

A tech told me that you are able to use different transmission fluid as long as all the spec matches.
Sorry Larry, but perhaps you've misread the manual. See the note underneath for the definition of asterisk number three:

*3 : Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability , and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty.

(Note: Matic S is backwards compatible and has replaced Matic J as the correct fluid. You cannot buy Matic J any more.)
LarryG (11-26-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:20 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ yeah that sounds identical to the spec from the G35 using Matic-J. so it sounds like nothing has changed and the AT guys must stick to the OE fluid, now called Matic-S. this is not the same case with 6MT guys as mentioned above. i'm using Redline and love it, but if i was driving a G37 7AT i would certainly stick to the Matic-S fluid. clearly the Matic fluids have a propriety formulation that was developed specifically for the Nissan slushboxes.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
How'd you even change it and not have the dealer do it. The units are sealed and the shop would need a special Nissan tool. Heck if the spent the money on the tool why not have the Nissan fluid?
Old 11-25-2014, 01:16 PM
vqsmile

^^ Unlike the later 7AT, the 5AT in the '08 coupe still had a simple fill spout.
spinn (11-26-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 01:22 PM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you can afford an Infiniti, you should be able to afford the proper fluid. $7 for the knockoff vs $14 for the good stuff.

Quick Reply: Is it true..