Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

OEM or Aftermarket Motor+Transmission Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Andy11

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question OEM or Aftermarket Motor+Transmission Mounts?

Hey everyone!
So I found out I have a ripped motor mount (explains the sluggishness and weird vibrations recently) anyways, I was wondering if any of you went aftermarket as opposed to the OEM ones?
Dealer has them for $600 for all 3 mounts (2 motor, one transmission mount - figured i would replace that as well as preventive maintenance)
I did find OEM mounts online for about $450 total for all 3.
Now looking at the aftermarket side, Z1 sells polyurethane motor mounts @ $200 for both and a poly trans mount for $200 as well. total $400. Im not too concerned with the slight price difference between the two, however i do not want to keep replacing these mounts, Im only at 65k.
Does anyone have any experience using poly mounts compared to the OEM ones?? I do not want too much vibration!! (please do not suggest solid aluminum mounts) I am slightly modified with an intake and exhaust not sure if that influenced anyones decision to go OEM or aftermarket. I do daily drive my car and I do a lot of highway driving (over 1,200 miles a month). Also if you have poly motor mounts and an OEM trans mount (vice versa) I would like to hear from you as well! Any input would be greatly appreciated as I plan on buying them ASAP! Thank You for your help!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not have aftermarket motor or transmission mounts in my G37. But I have thoughts to share on the subject since you asked for any input.

The polyurethane ones sold by Z1 or by Drop Engineering will very likely outlast your car. You won't ever have to replace them. I have some custom poly motor mounts in my Maxima. They are extremely solid and will improve weight transfer during acceleration and shifting immensely. They will not wear out or break. However, this comes at the price of increased vibration to a noticeable degree. I presume the same will apply equally to the G37. I can't say how much is too much for you. One of the reasons I haven't installed them in Black Betty yet is because just like you I'd like more feedback from users on how harsh it caused the car to vibrate at idle and under throttle.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Andy11

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Disclaimer: I do not have aftermarket motor or transmission mounts in my G37. But I have thoughts to share on the subject since you asked for any input.

The polyurethane ones sold by Z1 or by Drop Engineering will very likely outlast your car. You won't ever have to replace them. I have some custom poly motor mounts in my Maxima. They are extremely solid and will improve weight transfer during acceleration and shifting immensely. They will not wear out or break. However, this comes at the price of increased vibration to a noticeable degree. I presume the same will apply equally to the G37. I can't say how much is too much for you. One of the reasons I haven't installed them in Black Betty yet is because just like you I'd like more feedback from users on how harsh it caused the car to vibrate at idle and under throttle.
Im with you on the added benefit of driving enhancement it seems like they help the car feel more solid. I took a ride in my friends srt-4 and he has solid motor mounts and it is unbearable!! The entire car shakes and rumbles at idle and at any rpm. He races the car so i know they do help the car get off the line better and it does feel more planted. But my teeth were literally chattering as I was sitting in the car at idle and i swear that half his bolts in the interior panels had fallen off due to the vibrations. I would like anyone to comment and give feedback as to the vibration side of these mounts. When I replaced mounts on my old Acura TL, I went with OEM because they were significantly less expensive and everyone on the forums was complaining about the vibrations being too rough at idle even with the "comfort" bushings.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM
dgey1

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I had a 72 Chevelle SS and I had changed ALL OEM rubber mounts to poly, body, suspension, motor and tranny. The car transformed into a handling beast. the ride did suffer but was acceptable. Poly is harder than OEM but much softer than metal mounts. This is a tuff one since you need to live with it.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Andy11

Originally Posted by dgey1
I had a 72 Chevelle SS and I had changed ALL OEM rubber mounts to poly, body, suspension, motor and tranny. The car transformed into a handling beast. the ride did suffer but was acceptable. Poly is harder than OEM but much softer than metal mounts. This is a tuff one since you need to live with it.
Yes, exactly. If i were racing my car or barely drove it, I would buy the poly mounts in a heartbeat. I'm really on the fence about these mounts!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 PM
GW330
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would go OEM to keep that sport/luxury comfort, 600 bucks aint much after the car gave you 65 thousand pleasant miles. The life of motor mounts depend a lot on how hard you drive your car around so keep that in mind.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Andy11

bump! anyone running any Z1 mounts?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 AM
VRG37S

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
I'm looking into doing a urethane trans mount right now. Motor mounts are too much of a PITA to change out if they don't need it. A tranny mount is easy to swap out to see if its something ill like. Will keep this thread updated if I bite the bullet and do the swap.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Andy11

bump! anyone on aftermarket mounts??
Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy11
Im with you on the added benefit of driving enhancement it seems like they help the car feel more solid. I took a ride in my friends srt-4 and he has solid motor mounts and it is unbearable!! The entire car shakes and rumbles at idle and at any rpm. He races the car so i know they do help the car get off the line better and it does feel more planted. But my teeth were literally chattering as I was sitting in the car at idle and i swear that half his bolts in the interior panels had fallen off due to the vibrations. I would like anyone to comment and give feedback as to the vibration side of these mounts. When I replaced mounts on my old Acura TL, I went with OEM because they were significantly less expensive and everyone on the forums was complaining about the vibrations being too rough at idle even with the "comfort" bushings.
A four-banger will almost always vibrate more than a six...
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM
shivers

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the Z1 transmission mount sitting in my garage waiting to go in. I'll give everyone an update after I install it during my next oil change, which is coming up shortly.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Rod->Z1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
These mounts do work very well.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Rod->Z1
These mounts do work very well.
I've often wondered is it feasible to produce motor/transmission mounts that are harder and more durable than the OEM rubber but more comfortable and less harsh than the current urethane ones? A material with properties that give the best of both worlds. Is this impossible or has it just not been figured out yet because there's not a market for it?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Rod->Z1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I've often wondered is it feasible to produce motor/transmission mounts that are harder and more durable than the OEM rubber but more comfortable and less harsh than the current urethane ones? A material with properties that give the best of both worlds. Is this impossible or has it just not been figured out yet because there's not a market for it?
Well there are the solid aluminum when it comes to track use. The urethane is more durable then OEM and will last like you said earlier, but if you are not for the stuffer feel then then drive-ability may be lost. A urethane that is a OEM ride but performs under fast shifts and aggressive driving would be nice. The market plays a part.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Rod->Z1
Well there are the solid aluminum when it comes to track use. The urethane is more durable then OEM and will last like you said earlier, but if you are not for the stuffer feel then then drive-ability may be lost. A urethane that is a OEM ride but performs under fast shifts and aggressive driving would be nice. The market plays a part.
This "luxury" car has way too many interior squeaks and rattles already. The manual shifter jiggles around like Shakira just idling. Solid aluminum is definitely a no go for a daily driver.

I already have suspension noises and harshness just from low profile stiffer tires, minor suspension upgrades, and a moderate coilover drop. I'll probably end up going with the urethane ones, but if you do ever come up with a less harsh but more durable alternative I can guarantee you'll sell at least one set. Most of the G crowd are more into modding for aesthetics than performance but some of the the Z guys would definitely buy them. As far as R&D, the physical engineering is done and all that would need to be experimented with is different materials, no?

If you develop them, I'll be happy to test as many prototypes as necessary and give you feedback.

Quick Reply: OEM or Aftermarket Motor+Transmission Mounts?