Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

OEM or Aftermarket Motor+Transmission Mounts?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Rod->Z1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
This "luxury" car has way too many interior squeaks and rattles already. The manual shifter jiggles around like Shakira just idling. Solid aluminum is definitely a no go for a daily driver.

I already have suspension noises and harshness just from low profile stiffer tires, minor suspension upgrades, and a moderate coilover drop. I'll probably end up going with the urethane ones, but if you do ever come up with a less harsh but more durable alternative I can guarantee you'll sell at least one set. Most of the G crowd are more into modding for aesthetics than performance but some of the the Z guys would definitely buy them. As far as R&D, the physical engineering is done and all that would need to be experimented with is different materials, no?

If you develop them, I'll be happy to test as many prototypes as necessary and give you feedback.
I agree with what you said. If the market is there its worth looking into.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm surprised Infiniti doesn't use active mounts...
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd really consider polyurethane mounts that are similar to OEM but more durable if my OEM parts ever needed replacing.

As is, I am sure a new set of mounts would help a lot. I feel like there is a lot of slop/jerkiness when engine breaking, I imagine this is the tranny and engine twisting. (Please correct me if I am wrong).
Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
I'm surprised Infiniti doesn't use active mounts...
Infiniti has a lot of confusion about what they want the G37 to be. It's a grand touring coupe but makes a lot of compromises on the luxury end as well as the sports car end. Trying to find a compromise betweent he two must not be easy.

I had active mounts on my 96 Maxima. Only the GLE had them. They worked quite well until they wore out. I replaced them with hard urethane ones instead of going back with OEM. That was a huge mistake. It took all of the drivetrain slop out (it was so bad shifts felt like the trans-axle was slipping on gear changes) but it made the NVH almost unliveable.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy11
Hey everyone!
So I found out I have a ripped motor mount (explains the sluggishness and weird vibrations recently) anyways, I was wondering if any of you went aftermarket as opposed to the OEM ones?
Dealer has them for $600 for all 3 mounts (2 motor, one transmission mount - figured i would replace that as well as preventive maintenance)
I did find OEM mounts online for about $450 total for all 3.
Now looking at the aftermarket side, Z1 sells polyurethane motor mounts @ $200 for both and a poly trans mount for $200 as well. total $400. Im not too concerned with the slight price difference between the two, however i do not want to keep replacing these mounts, Im only at 65k.
Does anyone have any experience using poly mounts compared to the OEM ones?? I do not want too much vibration!! (please do not suggest solid aluminum mounts) I am slightly modified with an intake and exhaust not sure if that influenced anyones decision to go OEM or aftermarket. I do daily drive my car and I do a lot of highway driving (over 1,200 miles a month). Also if you have poly motor mounts and an OEM trans mount (vice versa) I would like to hear from you as well! Any input would be greatly appreciated as I plan on buying them ASAP! Thank You for your help!
How would a bad motor mount account for sluggishness?

I would go with the stock. I'm sure they are good for 100k miles. Aftermarket are too hard. Which will cause vibration and god know what else.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Hallelujah!

I think I found exactly what I've been looking for. A UK company called Vibra-Technics makes aftermarket mounts that use rubber bushings that are better than OEM ones but not hard as a rock like urethane or solid metal ones. A little more expensive, but not unreasonable.

370z - Vibra-Technics Compliance Technology
Old 04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

On another note, I don't know why or what's going on, but the Drop Engineering urethane mounts are dirt cheap right now. $102.50 for the urethane engine mounts and $57.50 for the transmission mount.

2009+ Nissan 370Z Engine Mounts, by Drop Engineering
2009+ Nissan 370Z Transmission Mount, by Drop Engineering
Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I put urethane mounts (and leaf spring bushings) on a jeep CJ a few years ago.

It might have made the ride rougher but it was so hard to start with I couldn't really tell...
Old 12-24-2015, 12:05 AM
R3M1NGTON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Hallelujah!

I think I found exactly what I've been looking for. A UK company called Vibra-Technics makes aftermarket mounts that use rubber bushings that are better than OEM ones but not hard as a rock like urethane or solid metal ones. A little more expensive, but not unreasonable.

370z - Vibra-Technics Compliance Technology
Did you end up getting these? How do you like them?
Old 03-11-2016, 11:29 AM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a good thread on a good topic that im interested about right now too. I bought my 2008 g37 just under 2 years ago as a summer pleasure car. Its had noticeable shifter shake and vibrations since i brought it home. Over the last year i have replaced the rear diff mount with urethane and just 2 weeks ago the center carrier bearing with OEM.

Im trying to get rid of the remaining vibrations and since the tranny is physically moving when i let off the throttle after accelerating im assuming some of my remaining vibrations are due to weak engine/tranny mounts. My first instinct was to look into urethane, but im concerned about the "engineering" of the vehicle and parts like the carrier bearing wearing out too fast if things like motor mounts are not OEM spec. Since its not my daily driver i probably could deal with increased harshness of urethane mounts, but not if they will destroy other parts from thier lack of give.

Will the "shake" go away with urethane? Im not concerned about vibrations as much as i am with the loose feeling of the entire drive line right now. At 87k miles many of these parts are starting to wear out and i just want to get her back to normal.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM
rsattler26

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R3M1NGTON
Did you end up getting these? How do you like them?
I'm looking into these (at least the trans mount), but want to be 100% sure they will fit my G37 S sedan as bolt on before I order.

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm also concerned about only installing a trans mount w/o changing engine mounts. I would think these two components should have the same flexibility built in - so they move in tandem when there's flex. If the engine moves more than the trans, I can see that putting stress on the connection points.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Can anybody confirm the poly motor mounts would work from z1 on my x sedan? Looks similar, I know the trans is different. Wonder what the options are for the x owners?

Any help would be great appreciated
Old 06-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
From my experience the gains you get with solid poly bushings is it vibrates more feedback to the car for the extra rigidity. You can use aftermarket rubber mounts but I'd spend a little more on a brand with good history because you dont want it have to replace them again sooner because you saved a few bucks.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:56 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I have the Vibra-Technics trans mount, it's listed for the 370Z but fits fine. It, so far, has made the largest NVH difference in my car. I won't be installing poly engine mounts.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
Can anybody confirm the poly motor mounts would work from z1 on my x sedan? Looks similar, I know the trans is different. Wonder what the options are for the x owners?

Any help would be great appreciated
I called Z1 and asked them if they’d work on my 2011 X Sedan. They confirmed that they would work. They DO NOT make a transmission mount for AWD though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM or Aftermarket Motor+Transmission Mounts?