Sponsored By:

08 G37 paddle shifters are a joke

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:45 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by larryg
fun fact of the day.. Automatic version will always be fastest.. Cough* bugatti, gtr, ferrari, lambos.. But manual is always the fun to drive!
does no one know the difference between an automatic gearbox and a sequential gearbox?!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SantaClawz
I'll have to look into that, if it's possible, that would be great.
As far as I know its true. But requires a tune, so it gets expensive, and without other mods a tune seems to be a waste.

Someday, Id like to get an exhaust (already have an R2C) and maybe an aftermarket intake manifold, then pay up for the EcuTek tune which will fix the 7AT as well.

UpRev tunes can fix the 7AT issues but Ive read EcuTek is more everyday-driveable vs the UpRev 7AT tweaks.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
does no one know the difference between an automatic gearbox and a sequential gearbox?!
Yeah i dont know how that slipped past the other posters to page 2 before someone noted it. There is a GIANT difference between an automatic with paddle shifters and DSG/SMG with paddle shifters. "fun fact of the day", sorry but no and assuming from this thread i can shift my MT faster then these guys can shift their autos with the paddles. However noone will ever outshift a DSG paddle shift with an MT especially not in cars like the bugati and ferarris.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
spinna001

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xtremeroller
Some of us were not lucky enough to come across a 6mt.
Gotta have patience.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:05 PM
n80
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The paddle shifters and 'manually' shifting with the shift lever is more like a suggestion than a command. It is still a slush box. I haven't followed the evolution of the G lately but noticed that in the new sedans (Q50?) there is no option for an MT. Only in the Q60 coupe can you get the 6MT.

I don't think the 6MT sedans or coupes ever sold that well. Most people just don't want a manual and those on the fence look at those flappy paddles and think they're going to be like double clutch transmissions like in the high end cars. They aren't. But I think that people thinking that they are is what is fueling the demise of the MT.

I scoured the car classifieds and internet for about a year and finally found an 09 G37s 6MT coupe with low miles (16k !!) and bought it yesterday. Traded in my wife's G35x and got her this coupe. The G35x was a good car and I also thought when I bought it that we would enjoy the ability to select gears. We did not and in fact it seemed to do a better job in "S" mode than me trying to tell it what to do. I like the car in every way except the 5AT which always seemed confused in sporty driving.

(True sequential gearboxes are a whole other thing. Think motorcycle.)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by n80
The paddle shifters and 'manually' shifting with the shift lever is more like a suggestion than a command. It is still a slush box. I haven't followed the evolution of the G lately but noticed that in the new sedans (Q50?) there is no option for an MT. Only in the Q60 coupe can you get the 6MT.

I don't think the 6MT sedans or coupes ever sold that well. Most people just don't want a manual and those on the fence look at those flappy paddles and think they're going to be like double clutch transmissions like in the high end cars. They aren't. But I think that people thinking that they are is what is fueling the demise of the MT.

I scoured the car classifieds and internet for about a year and finally found an 09 G37s 6MT coupe with low miles (16k !!) and bought it yesterday. Traded in my wife's G35x and got her this coupe. The G35x was a good car and I also thought when I bought it that we would enjoy the ability to select gears. We did not and in fact it seemed to do a better job in "S" mode than me trying to tell it what to do. I like the car in every way except the 5AT which always seemed confused in sporty driving.

(True sequential gearboxes are a whole other thing. Think motorcycle.)
I don't believe that they didn't sell very well, I just think that they just didn't make many of them because most people want an automatic. 3 series manuals are pretty rare now too.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryG
Fun fact of the day.. Automatic version will always be fastest.. Cough* Bugatti, GTR, Ferrari, Lambos.. but manual is always the fun to drive!
I would agree for upshifting in acceleration but for down shifting and correct gearing to corner and such down shifting via DM is best ...other wise the computer takes too long to 'decide' where to be
Old 03-23-2014, 12:16 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
+1 for the grounding kit and tuning. It does help out a lot
Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I installed a grounding kit yesterday. Slight improvement when in "auto" but I haven't noted any improvement when "manually" shifting the AT. It's looking more and more like a tune for me. Had a conversation with John Visconti about an etune and I may go that route.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Have you guys done the ITB12-027d service flash for the 7AT? I noticed an immediate improvement in the upshifts in manual mode - they were much quicker when on the throttle. This was of course in comparison to the original shift programming that came with my 09.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:54 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SantaClawz
Is there any way to make these suckers shift faster? There is an enormous delay between pushing the paddles and actual gear change.
Might be because you're pushing the paddles and not pulling them j/k. Anyways I always thought that the AT was very responsive in the 5AT, I have very limited experience with the 7AT but and this is a big but (no pun intended)
I recently looked into getting a Q50 as a DD and the upshifts were painfully delayed - and it could be that because I've been driving DCT's for the last 2+ yrs that I'm a bit jaded but it came across than being slower then even what I remembered from my 08 5AT.

Believe me when I say this as well DCT's have there share of issues regarding driveability - the best transmission I've driven yet is the ZF 8sp - I've driven it in the A4, Panamera and the BMW lineup and its better in day to day traffic than any DCT that I've driven.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Check youtube, there are tons of informative videos on there about the technology.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Ph34r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can adjust line pressures of the transmission with a tune to make the shifts more firm. Shoot a message to Martin over at RS-Enthalpy.com and he can explain it to you.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
After i got a tune the shifts became much more responsive. when driving in manual i would shift with my foot hard on the gas and usually noticed the rpm's would continue to climb another 500 rpms before the tranny actually shifted. always got super cautious because of this near the redline and usually shifted after i broke 6k just to be safe, which with reaction time and the lag would usually put me close to 7k at the actual shifts.

immediately after i got my tune i noticed if i was gunning it and shifted, it was super fast. the rpms would barely go another 100-200 before the tranny shifted.

the rpm example is the best way i could quantify the decrease in lag, but it was definitely really really slow to shift gears prior and the tune cleared it up!

I'm also installing the grounding kit a little later this week. I dont anticipate any changes since I already got tuned but crisper audio is always nice, even though i think it is fine now. Oh well, for 35$ and an afternoon project of putting something together and installing it will be fun
Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan141
Should gotten a MT......
None were available, I bought it the 1st week it was out.
I figured once it was tuned & modded they would work better.
The 5 a/t is just weird it can hold high power levels, just the shifting is odd.
I'll blame the engineers that put ds mode in, it's a completely different set of shift points.

Quick Reply: 08 G37 paddle shifters are a joke