G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I had a whole section over in the M area about a paint issues on my new 2012 M. I had to engage Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Frankly I wasn't too impressed but at the end of the day I got the hood repainted and correctly. The gal from ICA (Infiniti Consumer Affairs) took several days to contact me. When she did she had already talked to the dealership and had their story and she was already strongly leaning with them (essentially that's her job, to look out for Infiniti, not joe blow). I told her my story and she did listen and said it was different from theirs, she wouldn't tell me in what way. So things did progress to a satisfactory outcome but I'm not really sure how much of a roll ICA played. Over my 39 years of buying car's, etc ... I have learned to engage the Sales mgr as well as Service mgr. In my case I even engaged the GM. The sales people do not like it when they think the service department is doing something that will potentially loose them future business. Repeat business is a big part of car sales. You need to convey your brand loyalty but you certainly won't be buying from them and just might have to switch to Lexus.

Be relentless and let them know you are going to be relentless but don't be a ahole (not saying you are) as that attitude will eventually make them think, "oh geesh, this guy isn't worth the hassle". Good luck ... I would say to get ICA involved just for historical documentation to show that you did everything you could.
The following users liked this post:
Black Betty (03-17-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Good luck Jeremy, that's some serious labor involved for that $10 part
Hope they step up and make it right.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Thanks. Perhaps part of the issue is that I purchased from a different dealership and have only dealt with Sewell very recently and not very often. I started dealing with them because they are more convenient to where my wife works (this is her G I'm dealing with, not mine). So I guess they probably don't really care about me much at all because I'm a new customer to them who hasn't bought any cars at their place and I don't give them business buying overpriced oil changes and periodic PM services that I do myself. Why should they give a damn about me as a customer? The obvious reason is because these aren't the last cars I'll buy and that whole loyalty thing is a two way street. So I guess I'll be driving to Southwest or West Houston or back to Clear Lake when it comes time to drop coin on my next cars.

It is kind of amazing that I can get better service at the local supermarket, auto parts store, or department store if I have a product issue. I can take something back and generally get no grief with getting it replaced or fixed or the issue made right, with products they didn't even produce even when the failure is not their fault. Warranty or not. Receipt or not. As long as it's reasonable, they accommodate whatever it takes to keep me satisfied as a customer. Obviously a $3K repair on a car is not the same as returning a $40 webcam to Target, but a car is the second largest consumer purchase most people ever make so it's kind of a big deal to make it a good experience since people buy cars ever few years and tend to go where their business is appreciated.

It's been a learning experience. Thanks for nothing Sewell Infiniti of Houston and Infiniti Consumer Affairs!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Just an FYI, this thread is the third Google search result for the search "Infiniti Consumer Affairs experience". Behind a Yelp rating with 2 of 5 stars and a negative 2010 thread on nicoclub.

Let's see if I can get in on the first page when simply searching "Infiniti Consumer Affairs".
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
No, the codes are low oil pressure and random intermittent misfire. It's the rear timing gaskets. They know it's an issue, and it's not a wear part. They just have no responsibility to pay for repair out of warranty. It's their prerogative not to. But IMO it's the right thing to do. They obviously disagree and the final decision is theirs.

Jeremy,

OK, so you have the codes, what is the result of the "physical" oil pressure test?

The codes along with measured low oil pressure, confirm its the gasket.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Jeremy,

OK, so you have the codes, what is the result of the "physical" oil pressure test?

The codes along with measured low oil pressure, confirm its the gasket.
Yes, I had them perform the oil pressure test. The pressure is low, I believe he said 14 PSI but I'd have to check to confirm that. I'm fairly certain that we've got the problem diagnosed. The hurdle is getting it fixed at their expense and not mine. Which doesn't seem likely a this point.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Don't waste anytime at the dealers . Keep pressing consumer affairs . I have had every tsb done for my battery drain issue and it's still there . My car is out of warranty as well . I have even unplugged the wire from my ecu that controls my alternator so it starts charging right away . I have the M guys to thank for that . I kept sending letter after letter . I also kept complaining with the BBB as well . Infiniti has finally agreed to have talks with me with the BBB being the mediator . If the BBC agrees with my situation than infiniti will try to fix the problem . If not I am screwed . It's a start ..
Black Betty (03-17-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 05:22 PM
beers64

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm brand loyal becasue I have purchased 2 Infinitis back to back and 4 Nissans before that. I was seriously planning on a third one within the next year or two before this. I'll seriously reconsider. I don't usually take it elsewhere except my own garage. If their idea of being a good customer is paying $450 for a brake job I can do myself for $175 in parts and an hour of DIY work that I enjoy doing, then we have a different idea of what brand loyalty is. The idea that their service work is better than mine is ludicrous. It's money to them. It's my baby to me. Instead of getting them to warranty my crappy clutch that went out, I paid out of my own pocket and upgraded to aftermarket saving them parts and labor. I should have made them do the warranty repair, then immediately take their parts out done the aftermarket swap. At least I'd have gotten my money's worth.
I agree something should be done if not at least a partial goodwill which can usually be done. The problem is most of these issues are broken up into different sections. You definitely are brand loyal, but the way it gets looked at at this point as far as brand loyalty is service wise not sales wise. They break them up into different categories. If you currently had an issue that couldn't be resolved with a new car and wanted a buy back they may be more inclined to help as your sales record(purchasing of infiniti/nissan) shows your brand loyal. But because you don't have a customer pay record as far as service goes they wont consider you brand loyal in that aspect. It does also matter that you haven't been going to the same dealer, that will always have an impact. Sorry to hear about your issues man and i hope a positive resolution comes about, but just from experience those are the specific things they look at in a service goodwill situation.
Black Betty (03-17-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Thanks for that explanation. Honestly it's about what I expected but I still don't think it's the right thing to do on their part. I've spent over $200K on Nissan products but goodwill is only extended if I throw money away on $153/hour unnecessary service. Thanks Nissan/Infiniti!

On another note regarding the actual issue with the engine, if it only has 14 psi of pressure, I wonder why the the oil pressure light had never come on? How low does it have to be?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:39 PM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by beers64
I agree something should be done if not at least a partial goodwill which can usually be done. The problem is most of these issues are broken up into different sections. You definitely are brand loyal, but the way it gets looked at at this point as far as brand loyalty is service wise not sales wise. They break them up into different categories. If you currently had an issue that couldn't be resolved with a new car and wanted a buy back they may be more inclined to help as your sales record(purchasing of infiniti/nissan) shows your brand loyal. But because you don't have a customer pay record as far as service goes they wont consider you brand loyal in that aspect. It does also matter that you haven't been going to the same dealer, that will always have an impact. Sorry to hear about your issues man and i hope a positive resolution comes about, but just from experience those are the specific things they look at in a service goodwill situation.
That's why I talk to Sales if I have a unresolved service issue. Just about every dealership sales pitch touts their wonderful service depart as part of your purchase decision. I inform them that based on the service department failing to meet those expectations the sales department will take the hit as I will take my business elsewhere. I also share with them I'm not shy about sharing my story, they are aware of the power of the internet. I used this method like clockwork with a Toyota dealership. Service was jerking me around, went to the sales mgr, talked to him. Next thing I knew we were all in a conference room and the Service Mgr was kissing my a$$.
Black Betty (03-17-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:01 PM
beers64

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
That's why I talk to Sales if I have a unresolved service issue. Just about every dealership sales pitch touts their wonderful service depart as part of your purchase decision. I inform them that based on the service department failing to meet those expectations the sales department will take the hit as I will take my business elsewhere. I also share with them I'm not shy about sharing my story, they are aware of the power of the internet. I used this method like clockwork with a Toyota dealership. Service was jerking me around, went to the sales mgr, talked to him. Next thing I knew we were all in a conference room and the Service Mgr was kissing my a$$.
Yeah that's always a viable option and I've seen it work as well. It does work a lot better though if you have purchased your cars from that specific dealer. If your purchased them elsewhere then went to a dealer more convenient for you and tried that that may not work out so well.

BB - just from experience on other manufacturers you'd be surprised on low the pressure actually has to be to turn that damn light on!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 PM
JerseyG37s

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm brand loyal becasue I have purchased 2 Infinitis back to back and 4 Nissans before that. I was seriously planning on a third one within the next year or two before this. I'll seriously reconsider. I don't usually take it elsewhere except my own garage. If their idea of being a good customer is paying $450 for a brake job I can do myself for $175 in parts and an hour of DIY work that I enjoy doing, then we have a different idea of what brand loyalty is. The idea that their service work is better than mine is ludicrous. It's money to them. It's my baby to me. Instead of getting them to warranty my crappy clutch that went out, I paid out of my own pocket and upgraded to aftermarket saving them parts and labor. I should have made them do the warranty repair, then immediately take their parts out done the aftermarket swap. At least I'd have gotten my money's worth.
i get the brake job.... although if they are charging you 450 than you should do your own brake job i completely agree... and idk about you but my infiniti dealer sends me out 9.95 oil change coupons all the time.... anyway besides the point i get that its your baby but **** happens bro good luck with it my advice would be to go in and have a conversation with the service manager and if they don't want to take care of anything for you than head to houston infiniti and have them help you out...
Old 03-14-2014, 10:43 PM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by beers64
Yeah that's always a viable option and I've seen it work as well. It does work a lot better though if you have purchased your cars from that specific dealer. If your purchased them elsewhere then went to a dealer more convenient for you and tried that that may not work out so well.

BB - just from experience on other manufacturers you'd be surprised on low the pressure actually has to be to turn that damn light on!
I agree ... was shifting things to a more general conversation. I think we all know BB is F'd (just kidding).
Old 03-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'm fairly certain I'm F'd as well. Just wanted to ask to see if there was a glimmer of hope that maybe I'd maybe get a nice dinner first or at least get a reach around. Infiniti Consumer Affairs and Sewell Infiniti are tag teaming me raw dog with no lube. Prison style. Thanks guys, it feels great!

And this thread is shooting up the results on a Google search. Feel free to search it and click. I hope the $3K they saved by screwing me and denying my repair was worth it.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 AM
2008G-Man

Well BB is a great asset to this site, lets stand behind him and vow not buy any parts, etc from Sewell online or in person. If we get enough people to commit to that he can at least get the satsifaction of printing this thread out to show them they probably lost well over $3k of accessory/parts sales. After all, we are the premiere G37 web site!
Black Betty (03-17-2014)

Quick Reply: Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience