Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AT G37s.....Is it worth upgrading?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Used2BaHEMI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT G37s.....Is it worth upgrading?

I've always had MT but when I bout my wife her new car the sales guy sold me on an 08 37s as a daily driver. After driving it for a couple weeks now I've noticed I had previously underestimated their potential. Is this car worth upgrading the engine even though it's an Auto?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 PM
DM-37

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In my opinion, MT > AT alllllll day looooong. That's coming from a 7AT G37S owner. Keep the 6MT, you'll regret getting rid of it if you do.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
That's kind of a big question and the answer is largely dependent on a lot of things, namely, your definition of "worth it".

Assuming from your screen name that you are used to working on domestic NA v8+ powered cars, you should realize right now that bolt ons do not have nearly the same effect on this powerplant as they do on domestics. Cam changes are nearly nonexistent, so that really leaves you with bolt on breather mods. All the breather mods will net you a gain of <40hp, if that. It will also be expensive, even if you DIY the mods yourself. That leaves forced induction as your only real option to have significant horsepower increases. Obviously that gets expensive.

So from a bang for buck standpoint, vs larger displacement motors, no, it is not worth it.

However, if modding is its own pleasure, the way it is for many of us, then modding your car can increase its aesthetic appeal and make a good car better.

If you need more details into the particular nuts and bolts of modding, I've either done or researched most of the performance mods you can do to a 7at.
The following users liked this post:
Used2BaHEMI (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:20 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by DM-37
In my opinion, MT > AT alllllll day looooong. That's coming from a 7AT G37S owner. Keep the 6MT, you'll regret getting rid of it if you do.
If I'm not mistaken, I think he means he's used to owning *other* manual cars, not a 6mt g37 vs an auto.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Not sure if I understand the question. Do you now own the 7AT but since you prefer a manual you want to know if it's even worth putting some mods into the AT model? If you're keeping the car and you drive it often enough then yes, there's mods you can do to make it even better such as sway bars, exhaust, coilovers, etc. Most of the mods are more cosmetic in nature since the VQ motor is pretty maxed from the factory, without serious mods like Turbo or Supercharger the Hp per dollar is quite low.
If it's your wife driving it all the time then might want to save your cash for your manual transmission beast, I'm guessing it'll have a Hemi
Old 02-25-2014, 04:12 AM
DM-37

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
If I'm not mistaken, I think he means he's used to owning *other* manual cars, not a 6mt g37 vs an auto.
Whoops, my apologies. I interpreted the OP all wrong. Thanks man.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:44 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 238 Likes on 199 Posts
I tend to think if you enjoy driving a manual trans, then stick with the manual. If you require the convenience/broad acceptance of an auto (i.e. traffic, the wife may need to drive the car, broader appeal for resale, etc.), then stick with an auto. I definitely see that on the resale market, there are alot more very well maintained manual trannie cars, which I believe is linked to the fact that primarily enthusiasts select this option. It's definitely becoming more rare to find one offered, so if you enjoy it, take advantage while you can.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Used2BaHEMI

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
To verify, yes I am coming from a MT SRT8 and have almost always owned a MT. I had to trade my Challenger due to the fact that I needed a second car for my wife and only had the Dodge and a R6. I've never owned an AT "sports" car before and I guess my real question was, are the bolt on's out there worth the money on the AT? I'm already working on the cosmetic side and was just wondering about the performance side.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Used2BaHEMI
To verify, yes I am coming from a MT SRT8 and have almost always owned a MT. I had to trade my Challenger due to the fact that I needed a second car for my wife and only had the Dodge and a R6. I've never owned an AT "sports" car before and I guess my real question was, are the bolt on's out there worth the money on the AT? I'm already working on the cosmetic side and was just wondering about the performance side.
Depends on your expectations.

From what I've read on this forum, real additional performance is pretty hard to come by unless you go to forced induction of some sort.

Fancy intakes and exhausts don't seem to add much more than looks, regardless of the tranny type...
The following users liked this post:
Used2BaHEMI (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
rodrich

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually just picked up a 2011 G37S 7AT and I love it. I had a 2008 G37s Manual. I'm in DC, so its kind of tuff sometimes when i'm in traffic. If I get the urge, I'll just use my paddle shifters for a little thrill. But, all in all, I love the automatic G37S.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
I liked my 5at when it was stock, but now with breather mods and a tune... damn it's even more fun now! plus the exhaust note is hmmm sexyyy
Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Used2BaHEMI

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
I liked my 5at when it was stock, but now with breather mods and a tune... damn it's even more fun now! plus the exhaust note is hmmm sexyyy
Yea intake and exhaust with tune I think is all I'm going to do as well. I'm gonna just make it perty!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:19 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I think you'll enjoy the 7AT. I wouldn'y own a manual anything 4 wheeled where I live due to the horrible traffic. I've Almost finished up my performance mods for this car and I can honestly say that I am pleased.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:16 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I sold my G37 6MT for a BMW 550i a few months ago..I really miss driving stick Traffic was a pain but it was such a fun car to drive.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:28 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by BluestickG
I sold my G37 6MT for a BMW 550i a few months ago..I really miss driving stick Traffic was a pain but it was such a fun car to drive.

If you can say that with OC traffic you really are a stick fan!

Quick Reply: AT G37s.....Is it worth upgrading?