G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Locked out protection - spare key, key on fob, leave fob inside? no-fob key?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
bartlett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locked out protection - spare key, key on fob, leave fob inside? no-fob key?

I just had a bad experience where I locked a key in a rental car. Got me thinking: what do I do for this G37?

I have 2 fobs. What is the scenario you guys use for locking your keys inside the car, or losing keys somewhere and not having any?

I figure first - I can get a physical key made and hide it under the car. That would get me in the door right? Would that start the car?

Can a fob be left in the car, or would that make it impossible to stay locked since you could just use the door handle button?

In the event that a fob was in a car and locked, will it just open up since you can't lock a car with the fob inside?

I don't want to end up the idiot who can't move their "fancy sports car" since I don't have my keys with me, or they're locked in the car. But with the way the fobs and starter works, I am not sure how I'd do anything even if they could slimjim the lock, how would I start it?

Is there a best-practices for the "infiniti owner who loses/locks their fob" scenario?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
You literally cannot lock your key in the car. If you leave it in the trunk and close the trunk, it will beep and refuse to latch. If you leave your keyfob in the car and try to lock it with the button, it will beep and refuse.

If you lose your keys...there's really no way to combat that. Don't lose your keys.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoFightNguyen:
Byron Sexton (02-12-2014), dbeachy1 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 12:29 PM
bartlett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will have to test that out, about leaving the keyfob in the car.

Is there a hide-a-key scenario? Or since the fob controls it all, you could only open the doors with the metal key, but not start the car?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:24 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
There is no need for a hide-a-key scenario. My keys have fell out of my pocket multiple times and when you try to lock the door it'll just beep at you. Try it with the windows down. If you do happen to lose your key you have your second master at home, have someone bring it to you.

If you leave a key fob in the car..it would not lock..a key without the fob will not start the car.

The only scenario I could think of is if you manually lock the the doors, not sure how that would work since I've never manually locked the doors.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
It is probably more likely you will run your FOB through the washer machine than lock it in the car, since there is really no reason to take it out of your pocket. Use it as you would any other key and enjoy the car.

Side Note: The car will allow you to manually unlock the doors while it is running, leave WITH the key, and lock the doors using the door handle button. If you are completely oblivious while doing this, it means you will have left your car running indefinitely. It will beep at you during this process, but wont turn off. It's a nice feature to run in somewhere and leave the car warm and locked, but if you get caught up, or did it on accident, your car will run until your tank is empty.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Separate the FOB from the key on your second master. Hide the key somewhere under the car. Wrap the FOB in multiple layers of tinfoil and hide it in the car somewhere.

Edit: Not that I think this is really needed, or even a good idea, but if you are dead set on it that's how to do it.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Dont hide your second fob IN the car... that doesn't sound good at all!!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Actually, my brother used to own a 08 FX and he somehow managed to lock the keys in the car while it was running. To this day we've never figured out how or what went wrong. Called road side assistance and they said 'You can't lock the keys in the car' - it eventually opened on its own. So I wouldn't say can't just its damn near impossible. Don't do it with your kid in the car to 'prove' it won't happen.

On a complete unrelated note someone I knew once at the data center threw the power switch to prove that you couldn't shut it down because the UPS was inline and should take over - yeah he was fired before the light came back on.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
LMFAO blackfunk, was he fired for messing up the data center up-time or was he like a tech that managed the UPS and apparently didn't do a good job xD. Both is bad news for a data center... LOL

also did the fob run out of battery or something? shouldn't you still be able to operate the door unlock from the handle? unless the fob was somehow in the back seat out of distance. maybe for some odd reason it decided to lose power for a few mins and some magical way got power again and realized the fob was in the car xD.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 PM
sumair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
On a complete unrelated note someone I knew once at the data center threw the power switch to prove that you couldn't shut it down because the UPS was inline and should take over - yeah he was fired before the light came back on.

i knew a person who tried to prove the same thing when i first started working at a data center luckily he did it in the lab area with the same results lol
Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Might be possible for the mechanisms to fail if the fob battery is getting weak.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

He was actually one of the newer techs and luckily it was during maintence. Didn't really matter much though, he was just too dumb to keep around, LOL.

With the keys I just think it was a hick-up with the system because the car was running and he got out and used the button on the door to lock it when he was trying to reopen the door thinking it was locked but infact that button press is what actually locked it. I had a spare so he called me to bring it to him, I told him call Roadside assistance (he didn't even know it came with the car) - but before either myself or roadside could get there it opened up and let him in again. And it was weird because the keys were in the center console and not buried in luggage etc.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:00 AM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
i actually tried the key fob in the car while it was running and indeed it does let you lock it... Guess they didn't think someone would leave with the car on lol.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:44 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealer told me once a guy got his fob locked in the car because hiswife had the other fob in her purse when they got out of the car and he lockedit via the door switch.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:01 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by inspector94
i actually tried the key fob in the car while it was running and indeed it does let you lock it... Guess they didn't think someone would leave with the car on lol.
I've done this in the past but I'd always assumed it was because someone was in the passenger seat at the time. Like the seat sensor was tied to the central locking system.

Overall though its one of the better wireless key systems out there. I've used others where I'm like why'd they even bother.

Quick Reply: Locked out protection - spare key, key on fob, leave fob inside? no-fob key?