G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: How firm is the sports coupe?
5 Not a Backbreaker but firm, Very firm
7.14%
25.00%
39.29%
28.57%
1 Smooth riding not a CADI but still smooth
0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Journey Premium vs Sports: Firm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by inyquest
I have a 5 speed now and it KILLLLLLLing me sitting in everyday traffic for over an hour
Fair enough. If highway driving means stop-n-go gridlock, and residential driving means 30 mph traffic... then yes, I'd get a slushbox too.

At least get some aftermarket sways on that Coupe, for when there's no one in front of you at that on-ramp. It won't change the stiffness of the ride one bit, but will dramatically reduce body-roll.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You guysssss
I doubt I would be driving it hard enough to even notice or justify paying the extra loot to get them.

I'm soooo not a MOD types of person

lol... body-roll
Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 PM
FriedLumpia

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The OEM sport suspension and sport-seats are very noticeably more stiff than the non-sport. However, in no way would I call it an uncomfortable ride. Compared to other sporty cars, the suspension is more "rounded" on the bumps than "sharp", which is exactly how a sport sedan with aspirations of being a luxury car should be, IMO.

Everything is relative. If you've ever been in a M3, or a Subaru STI, then you'll think your G's sport suspension is quite comfortable. Then again, compared to both of those, you might also think your G is gutless. Like I said, everything is relative.

As for your reluctance to go to the dealership... meh. Grow a pair and drive them. That's what dealerships are there for, to market and sell cars. Come on man, you can do it. Get the right attitude, and test driving new cars can be a whole lot of fun.
This ^^^^

My test drive "journey" was a 350Z / G35S 6MT sedan (2nd gen) / 370Z / G35S 6MT Coupe / G37 Journey Auto Coupe / G37S 6MT Coupe / Subaru WRX STi. Rochester is spot on with the comparison, the Sti was a rock and the G37S Coupe was firm, yet forgiving over sharp impacts. "Very well damped" as they say. A mile down the road in the STi I was ready to cut the test drive short, but I did want to play with the crazy midrange power that turbo engine has so I dealt with it .

Having said that, the G37 Journey felt too insulated from the road feel. Not a bad thing, it was still very luxury car like and would be appropriate for anyone not looking to have that extra connection to the road. The S package gives the car that Z feel but without the harshness. It probably gives up capabilities to the Z as far as the outer limits go (track time) but is just right for me for a daily driver that can still attack on-ramps. Having test driven two I can say I wouldn't hesitate to take a G37S on a road trip.

And don't be afraid to test drive. It's their job to show cars. I drove half those cars with no real intention of buying, just curious. I learned a whole lot about what I actually wanted, like where I originally started out (shopping a 350Z) and where I am now.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

FriedLumpia gets it. The G37S isn't really a sports car, and it isn't really a luxury car either. Front engine, RWD, LSD, headers, NA, 6MT... it's actually somewhat old school, like some kind of Japanese Musclecar with heated seats and NAV.

I'll repeat this... get aftermarket sways on the car. You don't have to be a weekend Auto-X'r to appreciate what they can do for the G37S, assuming you have good 3-season tires to match.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-10-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FriedLumpia
This ^^^^

My test drive "journey" was a 350Z / G35S 6MT sedan (2nd gen) / 370Z / G35S 6MT Coupe / G37 Journey Auto Coupe / G37S 6MT Coupe / Subaru WRX STi. Rochester is spot on with the comparison, the Sti was a rock and the G37S Coupe was firm, yet forgiving over sharp impacts. "Very well damped" as they say. A mile down the road in the STi I was ready to cut the test drive short, but I did want to play with the crazy midrange power that turbo engine has so I dealt with it .

Having said that, the G37 Journey felt too insulated from the road feel. Not a bad thing, it was still very luxury car like and would be appropriate for anyone not looking to have that extra connection to the road. The S package gives the car that Z feel but without the harshness. It probably gives up capabilities to the Z as far as the outer limits go (track time) but is just right for me for a daily driver that can still attack on-ramps. Having test driven two I can say I wouldn't hesitate to take a G37S on a road trip.

And don't be afraid to test drive. It's their job to show cars. I drove half those cars with no real intention of buying, just curious. I learned a whole lot about what I actually wanted, like where I originally started out (shopping a 350Z) and where I am now.

"the G37S Coupe was firm, yet forgiving over sharp impacts. "Very well damped""
Well said. I can live with that.

"And don't be afraid to test drive."
not a matter of being afraid. It's more of a time thing and some I don't have a lot of specially during Daywaker hours.
Unless a dealer is going to open up so I can drive 2 car that I'm not going to buy (2013) I don't think test driving both will happen.
The truth of the matter when the car broker do find the car I am seeking I more then likely won't even test drive that till After it's sent to my car guy to check out.

I'm looking for a luxury sports car and Not a sport luxury car.
From my reading from my post it sounds like the S will give me both.

Thanks for all your input everybody.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:14 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

FriedLumpia gets it. The G37S isn't really a sports car, and it isn't really a luxury car either. Front engine, RWD, LSD, headers, NA, 6MT... it's actually somewhat old school, like some kind of Japanese Musclecar with heated seats and NAV.

I'll repeat this... get aftermarket sways on the car. You don't have to be a weekend Auto-X'r to appreciate what they can do for the G37S, assuming you have good 3-season tires to match.

"I'll repeat this... get aftermarket sways on the car."
Thanks but that's soooo Not going to happen.

If it's not on the car when I get more then likely it will never been on there.
I'm just Not that type of car guy.

Tint and Clear bra, nitrogen and I'm done.
The most I've ever put into a car in after market goods was $90 for speakers for a 260Z
Like I said I'm so not that guy

But thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
I have a 2010 G37S 7AT.

Albeit, it is totally suspension modified now.

When it was stock, many 6/7 hour drives to Phoenix were pure bliss.

The S actually is more comfortable than the journey, as it is more "solid"
The following users liked this post:
inyquest (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 AM
inyquest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
I have a 2010 G37S 7AT.

Albeit, it is totally suspension modified now.

When it was stock, many 6/7 hour drives to Phoenix were pure bliss.

The S actually is more comfortable than the journey, as it is more "solid"

WOW, now there you go.
THANK you

How do you close a thread?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by inyquest
How do you close a thread?
You don't. Usually you just stop posting, and let it die. Then in two or three years some calender-challenged noob will bump it. Or better yet, in a few months, you'll bump it with pics of your new car. That would be neat.

But if you really wanted to close it, PM a moderator.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-11-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

You don't. Usually you just stop posting, and let it die. Then in two or three years some calender-challenged noob will bump it. Or better yet, in a few months, you'll bump it with pics of your new car. That would be neat.

Pics of my new car would Be neat
Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts

So true!!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 AM
inyquest
Registered Member

No worries,
I'll just focus on finding my car
Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm joining in on the discussion late, so forgive me if some of this has already been covered. I've owned two G coupes, both with no suspension mods - one without the sport package and one with the sport package (my current vehicle). In my opinion, in terms of the ride, the difference is barely noticeable. Where the real difference lies is in the sport seats. The sports seats are firmer and have adjustable side bolsters on the seat. Some larger guys can find the side bolsters on the seat and seatback to be a little constricting. I just did a three-hour drive, non-stop and found the sport seats to be very comfy. As others have stated, the G is not a sports car, but rather a sports touring coupe. The ride is sport/luxury. A person coming from a WRX or EVO will find the ride of a G coupe to be luxurious/plush in comparison.

Last edited by MoonliteMadness; 02-13-2014 at 10:15 AM.
inyquest (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll say this much, I can describe the ride as firm, yet not harsh. Its very well damped with superb rebound control, compression could be better. By this I mean the car never felt floaty but sudden undulations i.e. mid corner bumps could make the back end feel like it was stepping out. I always felt like the spring rates out back should have been higher.

I loved the addjustibility of the seats but always found them too hard for my tastes and I could never be 100% comfortable.

I want to clarify something about the seats - if you've ever sat in a M3 or S4 the seats are very firm as well but it feels like they were made with high density foam so that it feels like form fits around the body. The seats in the G have that initial firmness but not much 'give' after that. I've driven over 14hrs in each car mentioned about when I travel from NYC to SC every yr so I have some idea what a long trip in each is like.
inyquest (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 03:00 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

Thanks everyone

Sounds like G37S

Quick Reply: Journey Premium vs Sports: Firm?