Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Semi-new owner, Clutch issues

Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
^Only if whatever problem you have is related to the part you changed. Then again in this case why not just have the dealer swap it under warranty and upgrade the slave when its time for a new clutch. If your doing the clutch for sure I'd recommend just getting both done now.

The master on these cars is pretty strong from the factory from what people say but if your changing the clutch and CSC you may as well change that (its not much more expensive)
I had the CSC replaced on my 06 G35 by the dealer at 92k miles covered under warranty
Never had another clutch problem when I traded it in last August at 171792 miles still on the original clutch.

Telcoman
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM
SuperiorWitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more question guys. So, as I mentioned.. I just recently purchased the vehicle, and this part failed.. the Infiniti dealership I purchased from, offered to repair everything for 1500, and warranty the work(probably not the clutch though.. failed to ask this).

The aftermarket parts+ labor, would be close to 2000. But obviously, a more reliable setup. Should I go with the OEM setup, for 1500, and possibly endup going through this again in a few months- to a year.. or just go aftermarket, and do it on my own?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 PM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperiorWitt
One more question guys. So, as I mentioned.. I just recently purchased the vehicle, and this part failed.. the Infiniti dealership I purchased from, offered to repair everything for 1500, and warranty the work(probably not the clutch though.. failed to ask this).

The aftermarket parts+ labor, would be close to 2000. But obviously, a more reliable setup. Should I go with the OEM setup, for 1500, and possibly endup going through this again in a few months- to a year.. or just go aftermarket, and do it on my own?
If you want the OEM clutch feel and no chatter, go with the OEM setup BUT definitely get the HD slave kit and ask them to use that instead of the OEM slave which will go out again sometime.

I've heard great things about aftermarket clutch kits but the downside seems to be the clutch chatter. The chatter reducing clutch/clutch disk you linked earlier I've never seen before so it must be new?

If I were in your shoes, I would probably go OEM with the HD slave and save the $500 (especially since buying all new OEM clutch parts would normally be in the ~$3K ballpark for parts alone from what I recall when shopping around). But I heard the aftermarket flywheel and clutch setups are a bit more "fun" and "aggressive" and combined with the RJM pedal, is a real treat to drive.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 AM
dtran2714
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperiorWitt

If you are tight on money then go with OEM plus HD CSC. To me the $500 difference isn't that much but our finances might be different from mine. Mine has gone out twice already with 70k with OEM setups. 1st time at 30k and 2nd time @ 70k. One time under warranty. I'm getting a full South Bend Stage 1 kit with Billet flywheel, HD CSC, and new master cylinder this time. I don't want to go through this again.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm getting scared on my factory CSC with 41k. lol
Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Tommy Gunz PSIU
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I'm getting scared on my factory CSC with 41k. lol
You should be LOL. Start saving now hahaha. From my research it seems to usually happen around the 50-60K mark.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:34 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Gunz PSIU
I think Takman is about right. I can't fully recall if it was $500 or $700 for labor, and that was just for the clutch/flywheel and slave. I went to a local shop that my friend swears by, and they did a good job. Replacing the MC might cost a little bit more because its in a way unrelated to the changing of the clutch and CSC (those are in the trans, where the master is in the hood).

I cant help you too much with the silent disk, as I dont have it. I think i got the flywheel I did because although you cant resurface it, it is basically just a swappable disk when it does go bad, and the replacement disk was WAY cheaper than a new flywheel. Just to be clear (after I've done ALOT of research on it). What creates the chatter is the light flywheel. OEM our car has a dual mass flywheel that is big and heavy and basically absorbs the sound. Since the aftermarkets are lighter, they dont absorb as much sound. I'd be very interested as to how that silent disk clutch works out, but when i was researching, i dont recall seeing anythign about it.

The dual mass flywheel is 2 pieces which "float" on each other to keep the trans gears quiet. Not really the weight that makes them quiet.

The "Silent" Or "Quiet" disk work much like the stock dual mass flywheel and have a floating center hub which reduces the engine firing pulses into the trans gears, This is what rattles when going to a single mass flywheel.

The "quiet" disk works much the same way without all the extra weight of the OE dual mass flywheel.

I have the 14.5lb aluminum South Bend flywheel in our shop 370Z right now with the "Quiet" disk and it is barely audible most of the time, Fully warmed up you can hear it slightly at idle but nothing like without it.

South Bend "Quiet disk" option, South Bend Steel flywheel 19 or 24lb with Motul gear 300 trans fluid is by far the quietest aftermarket set-up.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
otbevo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info in this thread. Already bookmarked the ZSpeed website for future reference. Hopefully not needed for a while, but ready to fire when needed lol
Old 10-03-2013, 02:39 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
So why does the clutch go so early? Poor quality? I have an old civic with over 200k and have never had a problem out of the clutch, trans or any supporting parts. I found a 2008 with just under 35K on it that I am thinking of buying but I don't want to get a car that I am going to immediately have to dump 2 grand into on normal $h!+. If I am dropping that I want new wheels, sound system or exhaust for that money! Are you guys driving hard, new to manual or is this "normal-ish" wear and tear?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
The problem is not the clutch disk itself, but rather the poorly designed slave cylinder. It's been speculated that lack of maintenance (clutch fluid flush) might be one contributing factor. However, even new(er) cars have had CSC failures, so who knows. If you're worried buy an extended warranty.

I've been driving manuals for close to 20 years. Last car was a 4th gen z28 that I sold with ~85K miles with the original clutch - never changed the fluid in that one ever.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:16 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Ok...good to know. I have never had clutch issues either but I was curious cuz this seemed worrysome