G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Long Term effects of G37 Q60 name change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree it is not logical to change the name of a car that otherwise hasn't changed since the previous year model, which is why I didn't think they would do it until the re-design. smh
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM
TheGspot37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socialconflicts
that kinda sucks.. im almost debating selling my coupe for something a little less flashy and better gas mileage. dont get me wrong i love the car and handles great and has a brand spanking new clutch/tranny replaced under warranty.. but the lexus is250 has caught my eye.. and did before too just decided to stay with infiniti again (upgraded from an 05 G sedan)
My GF had an IS250 and driving conservatively she got around 24 mpg city, not really worth getting rid of the G for a 4 mpg difference (I get around 20 and get on it often). Not to mention the difference in power ZzZZz
Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree that whatever they call it, I will base my next car search on countless hours of research and test drives and will pick the best car for my needs. I however, am not a normal customer, nor are most people that visit any car forum. Lets face it, most people are uninformed, fickle and spontaneously buy whatever. That's why car salesman can get away with crazy lies and they know most of their customers won't call them on it. We have salespeople on this site that have admitted to saying just about anything to make a sale. Someone could be in a Nissan dealership and say they really wanted to check out a G37 first. The reply would likely be "Infiniti dropped the G. They don't make it anymore; these Maximas are just like them and with their great price, Infiniti could no longer compete." Caching, and that person will never see a G commercial and never know they got duped.

I used to be a marketing guy and can tell you that renaming all your vehicles is about the stupidest thing a car manufacturer can do. People develop brand and model loyalty. If you're going to put Q in front of everything, then Q means absolutely nothing. Even Apple has figured it out. Notice both Apple TV and the new Apple Watch, rather than have "i" everything, even though they have iWatch trade named in almost all languages. Yet they are not stupid enough to rename iPhones and iPads. If Infiniti had to change, it would be better to just use 50, 60 etc, as it would be simple. But for such a small manufacturer that had memorable models like the G to just give that all away is an incredibly stupid business decision.

So while I agree that I and most knowledgeable people will buy the car that best fits the bill, and it doesn't matter what they call the new vehicle. I'll either buy or not buy based upon it's merit, even though I really don't care for the new names. But this will both cost Infiniti sales, and reduce the resale on our G models. They basically eliminated all of their model identity they've been marketing since their inception. It's like they never paid for a single TV commercial before for any of their models, other than the QX.

One of the largest diet fads of the late 70's and early 80's was the Ayds Diet Plan. Then the disease AIDS came out where people got skinny and died. The very successful company went bankrupt in no time. I drove past an ISIS bookstore in Denver last week. I'm guessing the beheadings haven't helped their business.

So does a name change the car? Hell no. Does it make a difference? You bet it does.
The following users liked this post:
Mike@Vossen (09-20-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
When most of the auto publications are boggled by the Q nomenclature it doesn't bode well for the average consumer. IMO it was a big step in the wrong direction, but that's just my two pennies
The following users liked this post:
sprix (09-17-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 AM
GS07

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I see why the did it but I don't agree with bringing the coupe along to the Q naming scheme.

The Q series with the old Q45 used to stand for the flagship model sedan for infiniti and the Q45 was one hell of a car in its day. At that time people associated Q with infiniti and with a luxury sedan. They never had a QXX coupe during that model series.

I get bringing back the Q naming for the new sedan being the brands flagship sport luxury model but I don't think it fits with the coupe.... JMO.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM
NetNinja

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think a couple of things may come because of the name change.

The G35 and G37 reflected the engine displacement. There are only so many improvements in Litter displacement unless you start to turbo your cars.

Renaming it to a Q series may raise the luxury level in the minds of others who have not followed nor considered the brand before.

Also it may indicate a future raise in price if they decide to put more Horsepower into the car.

Ferrari is selling more cars than they can make right now. It's a good position to be in but if you can't fulfill the orders people are going to go elsewhere.

What this means is the high end market is heating up and there is more discretionary money floating out there. Johnny wants an Infiniti for his 18th birthday.
I see all these kids here in Alpharetta and Kennesaw running around in 370Z's and G37's.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:15 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm a big fan of Infiniti- going back to my '94 G20 that I got in 98. I understand why they think they had to move to the new naming structure, but I'm not sure it's a positive thing. Having said that, I don't even know all of the Q and QX models and couldn't identify them correctly. That doesn't bode well for Infiniti.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:18 PM
11GshadowX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for that "thanks"... I'm viewing the site on my phone and clicked on it accidentally.