Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fml

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try to claim a total loss for the car but from the looks of it. It doesn't look totaled to me. Make sure you go through the other person's insurance company at the same time call your insurance company and have it on file so that if the other insurance company try's to screw you. You have your insurance company to help you out on getting your money.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
djtrump

Thanks, I hope so too. I contacted his insurance but unfortunately because I don't have his full name I can't do anything yet. I have to wait to obtain the police report Friday or contact the officer that was on scene, but he is off until Wednesday night.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
D_Rek

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. sorry to see that man.
Hope everythings gets cleared asap.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
People .... if you are in an accident, to protect yourself do the following:

Don't allow them to leave, if they say "I don't want to involve insurance" say too bad and if you leave I will call the police and report a hit & run.
Take a picture of the other person's license plate first thing, asap.
Get their license, registration and insurance info.
If they are not sharing, again call the police.
Go over to the wind shield and write down the VIN.
Take pictures, pictures, pictures (we all have camera phones now).
If police come, get the officers location, name and shield # (be nice to the cop).
If you are hit by a 18 wheeler or other truck that has a cab and trailer, get the info for the cab, not the trailer.
Always keep a small pad and working pen in your car(s)
Remain calm (I know that's easier said than done)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
frty9rsfn

ohh man!! this was horrible!!! sorry this had to happen to you... hopefully this gets taken care of as soon as possible... good luck to you on this process...
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
DAMN sorry man, Like said above , Make HIS INS do everything, rental, and repairs.. Hope it works out, Must be the month for G hits. 4th one I've seen( Including mine).
Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by "X"
yeah as long as he has insurance you should be good
Not true. Depends on his coverage.

The guy that totalled my '10 G admitted fault, but only had $10k in property damage. I don't have **** insurance, so my ins paid for my car immediately and went after him for the balance.

It took 3 weeks for his insurance to even accept that they would cover him at all. They were going ovr his contract looking for any omission or discrepancy that would allow them to deny coverage. That was 10-10, they still haven't paid my medical and it will take a lawsuit for me to recoupe the $750 I paid out of pocket for my rental (above the $1,250 my insurance covered).

Don't expect to get back any money you put out for a rental.

PS: That's fk'd up! Sorry that you have to deal with someone elses stupidity.

Seriously, bring back the sabre-tooth.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by Vasher
Not true. Depends on his coverage.

The guy that totalled my '10 G admitted fault, but only had $10k in property damage. I don't have **** insurance, so my ins paid for my car immediately and went after him for the balance.

It took 3 weeks for his insurance to even accept that they would cover him at all. They were going ovr his contract looking for any omission or discrepancy that would allow them to deny coverage. That was 10-10, they still haven't paid my medical and it will take a lawsuit for me to recoupe the $750 I paid out of pocket for my rental (above the $1,250 my insurance covered).

Don't expect to get back any money you put out for a rental.

PS: That's fk'd up! Sorry that you have to deal with someone elses stupidity.

Seriously, bring back the sabre-tooth.
Your situation definitely sucked...several states allow as low as $5,000 for minimum coverage on property damage...that is ridiculous. There needs to be a nationwide standard on coverage.

In Texas where we have the highest minimum of all states and it's $30,000 ...and even that might not be enough if you destroy somebody's car. $30,000 is about average for a car these days.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM
msmching

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As someone like me who worked at a body shop, I'll say, it's faster to go through your own insurance.
Because you get to fix ur car right away... Don't have the hassle to keep calling other company trying to fight for the estimates and stuff...etc.
Your insurance will have to pay for the damage and of course, they will want to get their money back and because of that, it will speed up the process.

Rental, rent it and get reimburse from your company, (some will be okay for you to do that) then ur insurance will get the money from them. (hence speed up the process because your insurance want their money back.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
owslystnly

Oh man, total bummer. Same thing happened to a friend of mine recently, albeit to his newly leased civic and not a G.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW. Sorry Bro! Second accident reported on the forums today. SMH.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM
xsonnixx

same thing happened to me! drunk driver hit my parked g35. he hit it pretty hard, frame bent in and everything and it was still not totaled. after the fix everything seemed fine but i couldn't get the feeling that something is still wrong with it so i traded it in for a g37 lol.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by msmching
As someone like me who worked at a body shop, I'll say, it's faster to go through your own insurance.
Because you get to fix ur car right away... Don't have the hassle to keep calling other company trying to fight for the estimates and stuff...etc.
Your insurance will have to pay for the damage and of course, they will want to get their money back and because of that, it will speed up the process.

Rental, rent it and get reimburse from your company, (some will be okay for you to do that) then ur insurance will get the money from them. (hence speed up the process because your insurance want their money back.

This^^^^^^^ I don't know why people think it is better not to deal with your own inssurance company. Its what you pay them to do, they will have an easier time fighting the other company. I have tried this both ways and found this is the only way to go. I will never let someone pay my body shop repairs in cask, and I will never deal with their inssuarnce. My inssurance company always does now and things move much faster since I figured this out.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Lucster

Honestly i'd give a quick call to my attorney for all the advice i'd need try and see if one will give you free advice, sorry for your loss i would of been close to putting my mossberg to his face rather than slapping him in the head meh.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
This^^^^^^^ I don't know why people think it is better not to deal with your own inssurance company. Its what you pay them to do, they will have an easier time fighting the other company. I have tried this both ways and found this is the only way to go. I will never let someone pay my body shop repairs in cask, and I will never deal with their inssuarnce. My inssurance company always does now and things move much faster since I figured this out.
You pay them to handle your claim, that if you are filing a claim for them to fix. You don't do that when it's not your fault. This is the way it works. If you file a claim it goes on your record and could affect your premiums. Had this explained to me (in much better detail) from State Farm.

Your fault = You call yours (or in case of no fault or uninsured)
Their fault = They (and their insurance) fix.

Quick Reply: Fml