Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fml

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
You pay them to handle your claim, that if you are filing a claim for them to fix. You don't do that when it's not your fault. This is the way it works. If you file a claim it goes on your record and could affect your premiums. Had this explained to me (in much better detail) from State Farm.

Your fault = You call yours (or in case of no fault or uninsured)
Their fault = They (and their insurance) fix.

Not true......................It does not effect you record any differently nor your premiums. I have been through this many times with my 3 kids my wife and myself. The only time my rates went up when when there was a claim against my insurance company.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
You pay them to handle your claim, that if you are filing a claim for them to fix. You don't do that when it's not your fault. This is the way it works. If you file a claim it goes on your record and could affect your premiums. Had this explained to me (in much better detail) from State Farm.

Your fault = You call yours (or in case of no fault or uninsured)
Their fault = They (and their insurance) fix.
You must have misunderstood what State Farm told you, or your agent that didn't want to do any work. I'm thinking it was the latter...

I've had State Farm for about 30 years and have had to use them a couple of times when it was someone else fault. A good agent will help you...AND, it never goes against you if it was someone else fault...EVEN if you have to go through your insurance.

Last edited by tejasg37x; 04-16-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM
djtrump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. One of the good things about being a member of the forum is having so many people that can relate to these types of issues. I've been in contact with both insurance companies so far. My insurance company will be going after his insurance company, they are sending an adjuster out tomorrow to look at the car. I called his insurance company and they told me to rent the car and save the receipt, although they cannot guarantee they will cover it until the claim is filed with them. The rental company gave me a brand new Mazda6 (definitely no G lol). I called the police station and the report will be ready by Friday. I am keeping on top of everyone and I plan on being aggressive about the whole process, I do not plan on losing money due to someone else's stupidity.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You're in NJ? It should be easy. Your insurance company should handle everything and do the fastest thing to get the car fixed, make sure you're are compensated. The other insurance company should cover everything, although your insurance co. should fight for your rights. I pay extra for car rental, so if my car is out of commission I can rent car based on insurance co. guidelines. (I have some unfortunate experience to back these statements up and I live in the great garden state also.)

Good luck with the process.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
btran104

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn sorry to hear man...that is my number one fear when parking on the street
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 AM
hustlerj

One advice. Don't forget to ask your insurance for the dimished value check!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
You must have misunderstood what State Farm told you, or your agent that didn't want to do any work. I'm thinking it was the latter...

I've had State Farm for about 30 years and have had to use them a couple of times when it was someone else fault. A good agent will help you...AND, it never goes against you if it was someone else fault...EVEN if you have to go through your insurance.
Well I have been using State Farm for almost 40 years, cars, boats, motorcycles, apartment, home and personal arcticle's insurance. I have been told many times (different agents, different states) that you should be working with the "at fault" person when you are not filing a claim against your policy ..... to each his own.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was rear ended in my Maxima while waiting at a red light. The at fault driver had "Estrella" insurance. When I attempted to file a claim with them I was told to call back after 12, thats when the english speaking representative comes in (The joys of living in Miami). I immediately called my own insurance company(Esurance) and they handled everything. I had to pay my deductible(1000 dollars) when i went to pick the car up from the body shop but after they recovered the money from his insurance company my deductible was refunded. No claim was filed against me so my rates were not affected in any way. Now when i "failed to yield the right of way while making a left turn" a few years later, My rates hit the ceiling. Just my experience. Best of luck to you OP. As long as he is properly insured everything should be fine.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 AM
reVx

Insurance companies usually cover up to 25$/day rentals. So you'll be stuck with a economy class, probably like a Hyundai Elantra or something of the sort.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM
djtrump

The adjuster came out yesterday. I gave him a call today and at the moment he's assuming that it's repairable, haven't gotten all the numbers in yet. I don't really agree with his estimate (8k to 9k to fix). He has to replace three of my wheels which I know alone cost $850 each. I spoke to Rico over at Rico's Auto Body in Hamilton, NJ about the car. I've taken my Maxima there before and I trust their work. Allstate is going to try to get the car towed over there today so I can get a "real" estimate of how much it is going to cost to fix. Might change the adjuster's mind once he hears the real cost. If they choose to go the repair route then so be it, my job will be to make sure quality parts are used and I know Rico's will do a good job.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 PM
deragoku

My brother is similar to the Corvette damange the exact same point, but less than damage from the PIC, the insurance company to Jewelry Brooches give him on his car totaled.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
veyr sucky indeed sorry for ur loss
Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Years ago, i bounced off a guard rail several times in my camaro (funny how a little rain with goodyear gsa tires will cause complete loss of traction). Anyways, the estimates started at about $7500, insurance said to go ahead and repair. By the time everything was said and done, they had paid out over $14K in repairs. There was lots of hidden damage that was not visible during the initial inspection. When I had the final meeting with the insurance adjuster, he said they should of totaled the car out rather than repairing.

I think this is where a good body shop comes in. One with lots of experience and able to identify what hidden damage is likely to exist.

Good luck
Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM
JDUB916

Sorry to hear about that, it totally sucks and I feel your pain. You may also be able to call your own insurance and they will get you a rental, but in the end, your insurance will collect the funds from his insurance. I just recently went through all of that with a bad accident. Good Luck
Old 04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
ParkStr8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I had a similar one last month (see my posts) and my repairs were over 11k. And my damage was not nearly as severe as yours.

Make sure to find a good shop - period. Mine took a month to get back - but is now just as good as new. Mostly.

Quick Reply: Fml