Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

S vs. non S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
kingdavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S vs. non S?

So Still havent pulled the trigger on my own 37. I definitely Want one but now the issue is that I'm caught between buying a S and a standard. For me the only differences that matter are the suspension, LSD, and the brakes So I've got some questions for you guys.

-How satisfied are S owners with your brakes kits? I know that's kinda a niche question to ask but trust me it matters. I spend as mucvh time on the circuit track as I can and good brakes are a must. 90% I'm going to drop in a new set of brakes anyway but there's always a discounted resale value of the 37s brake kit (for you guys! )

-LSD: Whooo-eee Seems like there's a thousand different opinions on LSD's, about double that for aftermarket models and about a quarter of those are informed. So I'll keep my questions general
-How responsive is the LSD under acceleration through turns? specifically mid-third of the turn (if that makes no sense don't worry about it)
-In the rain/snow?
-how well does it handle off camber?
- For you guys with modded suspension, have you had any issues with the LSD insofar as responsiveness putting power down in both straight line and the corners?

-Suspension: Yeah It's getting swapped out, My question is about resale haha. I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested in an S suspension for Cheap? From what I understand the suspension itself is middle of the road for casual drivers. Pretty good, not the highest end.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
toyzforme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have to say I love my S. The brakes are awesome. I talked to another guy who has taken his on the track and he said he didn't notice any brake fade until the last session on the track and that was only because instead of 20 mins they stayed for 30 min. He didn't have anything done to his car so that gives you some input. On the other hand I have steel braid lines and I have changed out my brake fluid with ATE blue high temp. I am waiting until I finish our 24hr of lemons race at Carolina Motorsports Park before I put the infiniti on for a track day. I will probably change out the pads just for good measure.

As for the suspension all I did was change out the springs for some Eibach springs and it makes a world of difference. It probably doesn't hurt that I changed the upper control arms on the front and added -2 degree of camber as well :-). I even added -1 in the rear. It handles corners like a low profile go-kart.

As for the LSD I heard you just have to make sure you keep up with the fluid changes and it should do you just fine. I don't know how it will react on the track but so far it is very predictable on how the car handles when punching it out of a turn.

Another thing your going to have to look into is oil coolers. Once the oil gets to a certain temp the computer kicks in and goes into I guess what you would call a limp mode. To combat that I have a 25 row cooler for the oil and then I added another one next to it for the tranny. If you build the car right you shouldn't have any problems.

Me personnally I like the S better but that is my .2 cents
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I will say the LSD on the G and the Z work fantastic. Very predictable and works great in all apsects of turns, especially at the apex as you are getting on it. In my opinion, and take it for what it is, they are one of the better LSD's you will find on a stock car. As for everything else I don't track my cars so I won't comment.

Don't forget the seats on the S. I love the sports seats but some hate them.

All that being said if you are going to track the car, most likely you will be changing out most of what makes an S an S model. You may find it's not worth the extra money to you and should just get a 37.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Trunks333

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car is not worth having if it does not have the sport package.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Get the S
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Test drive an S and non-S.

The non-s brakes feel really touchy to me. I love the S brakes besides the squeal they make in reverse.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I would get the S but upgrade the pads and rotors for sure, no complaints about the LSD here but serious trackers will argue differently (just wait till Mike chimes in lol)

On a serious note though, if you plan to track her a lot, I'd get a base model and get everything else track quality
Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunks333
Car is not worth having if it does not have the sport package.
Wrong, wrong, wrong!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Trunks333

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

BBK, 19" Rims, LSD, Better front seats, better side skirts, better front bumper.

Right, Right , Right.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunks333
BBK, 19" Rims, LSD, Better front seats, better side skirts, better front bumper.

Right, Right , Right.
Dude, I'm not saying the S doesn't offer some great options but to say the non-S G isn't worth buying ....is frankly a huge stretch.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if at all possible get the Sport model or sport package, rims paddle shifter or manul,BRAKES are worth 1500, High output engine belt,

If you have a choice get the S
Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a non-S and I wish I had gotten the sport for sure. I always buy the sport model, but the extra money was stretching it since the S was always optioned up when I was looking at them. But considering I drive this car to work and back almost exclusively, it's a great daily driver. I hated the S seats, the Journey seats are much more comfortable IMO. The only other redeeming quality of the non-S is the fact that my tires are $600 for the set and can be rotated. I also added the flappy paddle shifters, exhaust and intake.

But it cannot be denied that the S looks better, and the package itself is worth the money so long as you aren't screwed into getting options you didn't want in the first place.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM
allameriboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the S sedan. I optioned for the non S convertible. Why? I Mainly wanted to custom my own ride. I never used the paddle shifters (although I could still outfit)....and after owning both even tho the vert is just a different beast...I don't miss anything the "S" model gave me. Order what makes sense for you. Customize what you want. End of story.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by allameriboy
I had the S sedan. I optioned for the non S convertible. Why? I Mainly wanted to custom my own ride. I never used the paddle shifters (although I could still outfit)....and after owning both even tho the vert is just a different beast...I don't miss anything the "S" model gave me. Order what makes sense for you. Customize what you want. End of story.
true^ i track my car so S for me, if you like a show car to look at or whatever i guess the non S but the brakes alone are worth it
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
A lot of you didn't even read what the OP wrote.

If you are mostly running track the springs don't matter as you will probably going with coilovers, the seats don't matter as you will probably be going with racing seats with a 5 point harness, LSD doesn't matter as you will probably run something other than a stock LSD. The sport brakes don't matter as you would probably want to go with upgraded brakes. The sport brakes are heavy compared with most after market brake systems. I could go on but you quickly start seeing why a sport would be a waste of money in this situation. The Sport doesn't come with an aero package unless you add it on, but if you are tracking a car you don't want to put an aero package on that INCREASES drag. I could go on but a Sport does not make since in this situation. If he had said which is better a Sport or a non sport then it would have been a no brainer.

Come on guys read what was posted before you start responding.

Last edited by Tazicon; 02-13-2012 at 05:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ionharry37 (02-03-2019)

Quick Reply: S vs. non S?