G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Advice/opinion needed, would you trade it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM
thegad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Main question for you: will you track the vette?

When I sold my '08 G37 Coupe I test drove a bunch of different cars to see what I might buy next. A C6 vette was high on the list, but I decided I wouldn't hit the track enough to fully appreciate it. In day-to-day driving the vette just felt heavy and wide. I'm assuming you've test driven the vette fairly extensively thought, maybe you came away with a different impression?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I rather get a used 2008+ M3! Lol
Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I would never consider such a trade. I don't see why you would consider a 'vette an exotic vehicle. It's a very very well-known American muscle car. Muscle = exotic? The 'vette is definitely a mid-life-crisis car. They are horribly overpriced, unreliable, and are nothing more than a motor with a cage around it for you to sit in. It's not even an updated cage. They look exactly the same as they did 20 years ago.

I could understand going for one of those old Stingrays, if it were in addition to your garage, not a vehicle replacement. Trading your G for a daily driven 'vette seems insane to me.
Who said the vette was an exotic vehicle? The car is bar none the best sports cars you can buy for under 50k, period. Overpriced? LMAO. Go find another car that runs high 11's in the quarter under 50k.............not happening. Unreliable? Says who? Have you ever owned one? Granted, it may not have the best interior but people don't buy the car for that anyway so it's a moot point. Also, the vette as a daily driver is definitely conceivable.......large boot, on par to better gas mileage, and fast as hell.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:18 PM
LarryG

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Who said the vette was an exotic vehicle? The car is bar none the best sports cars you can buy for under 50k, period. Overpriced? LMAO. Go find another car that runs high 11's in the quarter under 50k.............not happening. Unreliable? Says who? Have you ever owned one? Granted, it may not have the best interior but people don't buy the car for that anyway so it's a moot point. Also, the vette as a daily driver is definitely conceivable.......large boot, on par to better gas mileage, and fast as hell.
Easy. Camaro SS with bolts on = 45k.
Ford Mustang Cobra 48k.

The only nice Corvette is the zr1.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LarryG
Easy. Camaro SS with bolts on = 45k.
Ford Mustang Cobra 48k.

The only nice Corvette is the zr1.
Don't be silly dude, we are talking stock. Next thing you'll tell me is to go buy a civic and turbo it. LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
LarryG

Don't be silly dude, we are talking stock. Next thing you'll tell me is to go buy a civic and turbo it. LOL
Lol, i was just trying to be funny haha. Those SS's do run like 12.6 stock..
Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LarryG
Lol, i was just trying to be funny haha. Those SS's do run like 12.6 stock..
True, but they also look like a sailboat with wheels.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Yeah can't really compare those 2 IMO, figure out your priorities and work from there.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It's easy to get bored with cars. Sure, people justify upgrades by saying we only live once, but there's a lot of ways to enjoy your life through spending money.

For me, the G gives me a high enough level of luxury and performance that upgrading for a car that's better with either of those would not really make me that much happier.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who said the vette was an exotic vehicle?
Originally Posted by proxy001
Handling is really good... I have nothing I do not like about the car, but I feel like driving something a little more exotic.

I am looking at a 2009 corvette c6 with 3500 miles...
While the OP didn't directly say the vette was an exotic, the above quote leads me to believe that the OP considers it an exotic, or at least more exotic than the G. The only car less exotic that I can think of would be a viper, which is why I find it odd that the OP would look for something exotic, and be considering the vette. If you think about it, it's just a beefed up, lightened up, pony car. Camaros get hand-me-down engines from them, and have for a long time.

Classic American muscle, definitely! Sports car, yea. Exotic, not so much.

When I think exotic, I think more along the lines of Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche', maybe the Ford GT even though it's a Ford, but not 'vette.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not an exotic on this side of the pond. But on the other side, a ZR1 is considered somewhat of an exotic.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:34 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Not an exotic on this side of the pond. But on the other side, a ZR1 is considered somewhat of an exotic.
I'm sorry bro, but no exotic would look like this from the inside

Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
I'm sorry bro, but no exotic would look like this from the inside

Boy those seats sure do look plushhhhhhh..
Old 11-08-2011, 06:46 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Still looking?? 04-05 Mustang SVT Cobra. I'm leaning there .
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
proxy001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi and thanks for the input.

After thinking about it for 4 weeks , I pulled the trigger yesterday.

I got 26000 for the trade it, not including tax saving towards the vette. I think it was a pretty good time to sell it, since the market is beeing flooded with 2008. And, believe it or not, but insurance is cheaper on the vette, and I wouldnt be surprised if I use less gas than on the G.

Let me give you a hint of why , to me , a corvette migth be somehow exotic. I am from europe, now living in the US.
BMW, mercedes, porsche... EVERYWHERE, boring.
Of course truly exotic is ferrari, lambo , aston. But out of my price range.

M3 and S5 , def very good cars, but boring
Cayman S, for those who drove it, the G is better IMHO.

As far as the corvette experience,

I drove a C6 base and it was so so
I drove a Z51 and it was better
I drove a grand sport and was even better I think, except the tires I guess.

The one I bought is different. It is a Z51 with wided body kit and wide tires. The car also has been lowered and the suspensions tuned, maybe.

The result: stiff but amazing grip and feels precise.

I would not have liked a base vette. but basically, what the previous owner did is transforming its appearance into a ZR1...

Again, they are 2 different cars, it is hard to compare.
I liked the silence of the G, I like the sound of the aftermarket exhaust on the corvette.

I am not a track guy...at least for now. Yesterday when I drove back from the dealership with the corvette and I saw the engine running at 1200 RPM at 60 mph... I was thinking the only way to fully appreciate this type of car/engine is a track.
I am kind of careful on the road and never go above 90-100 , I can hear the car asking for more So... maybe I ll take it to the track one day.
But to tell you the truth, those 345 rear tires are pricey... maybe I ll wait till they are done .

What did you end up getting after the G?

Quick Reply: Advice/opinion needed, would you trade it?