Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 AM
DiasG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for advice man and for taking your time to explain
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM
SilverLeaf

So when are you going to post up the video? :-)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Devildog37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had my car towed to me and the front bumper did sustain some damage during the offload. I failed to take any video, but I took numerous after pictures, have a witness who can testify that they scraped the front bumper, I have my, and his testimony, that the driver both scraped the front end and stated that he did, and both my, and witness testimony, that I told him he should use some wood blocks or boards when offloading it, but he refused. As soon as the bumper touched the flatbed, I yelled to him to stop, which he did, and I advised him to use some boards again, but he stated that when he loaded the car he did not need any boards, and kept up in reverse causing further damage.

Also, I know it was him that caused the damage because when he backed the car off the ramp, he cut the wheel in such a way that the car did not come down straight, and it was at an angle. Because of this, the scrapes are at a 20-ish degree angle with the axis of the car.

I took a ton of pictures as well as the driver, and I can fully testify that he said no doubt that he caused at least most of the scratches. I'm going to give the tow company a call in the morning explaining to them the situation. The driver is the owner of the company too, so that could be an issue, but he did say he would be fully willing to work with me on paying off either the replacement or the repairs.

If anyone wants, I can send pictures of the damage that was caused, but I'm going to wait until morning when there's more light to take better quality pictures.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
RedlineAZ

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverLeaf
So when are you going to post up the video? :-)
When I settled with the towing company I promised I wouldn't post any pictures or videos anywhere, and that it would be done with. The video shows the tow company info on it so thats why I didn't post it. But they did pay $770 for the damages
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Here is some steps to take in case you are ever in this position:
1. MOST IMPORTANT STEP Record a video of the damage taking place, showing the complete bumper as its being scraped, and take detailed photos
2. Call the Tow company after it is dropped off, you are NOT obligated to inform the driver at the time of the incident.
3. Inform the tow company that you have a video of the damage occurring, and they need to send someone to inspect it at the location of YOUR choice, not theirs.
4. Immediately email them a recap of all conversations, so there is a paper trail in the event they try to deny fault.
5. If they try to blame any damages on you, inform them that you have the video of the damage as its OCCURRING during the tow, and ask them if they have any pictures or if they did any previous inspection of the vehicle prior to the tow, proving that there was any previous damage on the bumper. (They will not have any).
6. Get a written estimate for repairs by the shop of your choice, and submit that info to the tow company. If they try to low ball you and not pay the exact amount of the estimate, decline any offers that are short of the cost of the estimate to repair.
7. Inform the tow company that if they do not want to take responsibility for their actions, you will contact your lawyer, with the video and evidence you have obtained. You should also inform them that you will file a BBB complaint, and if the tow company was called by the police or your insurance, that you would be filing a complaint with them as well.
8. They will try to intimidate you and say that the video doesn't prove anything, but once you mention the above, their attitudes will completely change, and they will write you a check or pay the shop of your choice directly for the repairs.
9. Do not let them bully you into thinking you do not have a claim, or that they are not responsible for the damages. Be careful of what you sign at the time the car is dropped off, because the receipt will usually have something on it releasing them of any damages done to the vehicle.
10. If they still don't want to take fault, contact your insurance company and open a claim with them, submitting any evidence you have to them and they will cover your repairs and pursue action for reimbursement from the tow company. If you don't want a claim on your own insurance, ask them for their company insurance info and open the claim with them instead, or contact your lawyer and go that route.

If you have a video of the damage occurring, they have absolutely no choice but to cover the cost of the damages that occurred due to the negligence of their driver.
This is great info but keep in mind the laws vary from state to state. So all of the steps he followed may or may not apply in all cases.

Also, he stated once they realize you have a video, they will pay or compensate you for the damage. I wish this was the case, but they may fight you no matter what, and force you to take legal action. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but unfortunately it does in some situations.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Another thing to add to the first post. Be sure to tell the wrecker company when you call for a tow if your car is lowered. Ask them if this is a problem. This way the driver should have the proper blocks to load/unload it. Tell them up front that there will be hell to pay if your car is damaged in any way. Be sure to ask for a driver who is experienced towing lowered vehicles. When the driver arrives, ask him if he is experienced towing lowered vehicles. Ask him if he anticipates any issues with your car or if you should call someone else. Video, video, video!
I agree with Black Betty 100% - DON'T assume anything. Make sure the towing company, and the operator that shows up have experience with a lowered car. If you don't feel comfortable, don't take the chance of damaging your car. It will be ALOT less hassle to call another tow truck then to deal with fighting them in covering damage after the fact!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 PM
slims

Awesome post!! I'm usually not as thoughtful to pull out my phone and record events that could be extremely important/useful in the event of something that is video worthy. I will use this advice not just for towing, but any time service is being done to my car. Thanks for this RedlineAZ!!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 AM
ko3r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red, why were you getting your car towed? you parked in a non parking zone?

Censor there information on the video and upload it...IM SOOOOO CURIOUS! EHHH
Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always like to be present when my vehicle is getting towed. Always make sure they bring a flat bed. However if you are being towed because of where you park this obviously isnt an option.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM
MEDUSA

I posted something in this thread last week and it didn't post, idk why.

I thought this thread was going to have tips about HOW to tow your car, not how to make someone pay for damages sustained when getting your car towed....anyone???

I work on both the east and west coast and have been scared to have my car shipped. When you ship your car, you don't get to be there to observe the load up, you drop it off and when the truck arrives to take your car and 15 other people's cars, which could be at 2 in the morning, they just load up.

Check this out:

Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM
JDMike

nice work. i always had fears of tow trucks
Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
MsTgr
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the information! I always take detailed pics of my car before I drop it off anywhere to get work accomplished, but I have to agree with you about tow drivers. You hate to question someone on how they perform their job (we all hate "those" people), but when you have your baby being handled by someone other than you, you have to take matters into your own hands. This is awesome detailed information. Thanks RedlineAZ
Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
One point was not mentioned in this thread.
If you have the misfortune to break down on many toll roads you must use a designated tow company that has a contract such as the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. They will only tow you to the nearest exit and then you need another tow company.
I have belonged to AAA with a 200 mile tow option for many many years.
It is cheap insurance as they take care of the hassle of flats and tows.
Also get many AAA discounts when traveling.

Telcoman
Old 09-19-2013, 12:26 PM
hellomellobello

very informative, thank you for the information!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:02 PM
scott57

Thank you 'RedlineAZ'! This is the kind of information that can prove to be so valuable to any of us stuck in similar circumstances. Great job!

Quick Reply: Getting Towed? Heres some advice