Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Terrible Sound on Deep Left Turns

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Terrible Sound on Deep Left Turns

It's a serious grinding sound that occurs on deep left turns. It's so evident this afternoon that I pulled into our driveway and my dad came running out thinking I was dragging something metal under my car...

I have an appt scheduled with the dealer for Thursday but man, this is embarrassing. Rattles form the dashboard, pooping sounds from the windshield when going over bumps or uneven roads, body creaking and now this?

Any ideas?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
FukinG37S
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have those symptoms as well. The windshield ticking and poping was so bad, I had to take it to the dealer. Come to find out the car was slightly wrecked. Oh thanks, Nalley Infiniti, for selling me a car with undisclosed information that its been in a wreck. They cleared a lot of it up, but needed to fix the rest based on the wreck. I wasn't paying. The body creaking is infamous. Always, especially in the morning, It creaks.

Now this grinding sound you speak of. I wish you could give more details on what you think is going on, how fast your speeds are, etc.

You should never turn the steering wheel all the way one way to turn the car, turn it almost to the point where it ends, then go back a little so your not turning the steering wheel till it ends, then holding it there. Many problems come from this, especially on older vehicles. I try to baby my turning, my brakes, and acceleration. but i do shift down, and get it on, a bit, Atleast once per drive (my drives are usually over 30 miles each, so)

Grinding, while turning left. I can only think that the axle is not lubricated. or you've busted the boot and its dryed out. I'm sure whatever it is, I hope its under warrenty, or please expect a hefty bill.

Please update this thread with any information AND ALL from the dealer on this issue incase anyone else goes through this as well.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 PM
DaCePtak0n

Thanks for the ****in insights lol...

THe sound is emanated when I'm making a left turn forward. To get onto one side of my driveway when coming from the opposite direction, you have to turn it all the way to the left. The sound is excruciating. I wish I could upload the sound clip? I can be going 5 mph or even less and it's there.

I have an appt with the dealer to drop off the car and have her reviewed. My car only has 16K miles on it so it better be under warranty. No shot im paying for anything here. Additionally, I've brought her in for the creaking 3 times now, and no long-term solution.

Needless to say I'm fed up and to say baby the car? Never turn it all the way left? Never heard of that one before. How would a K or U-turn at a traffic light work then?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by FukinG37S
You should never turn the steering wheel all the way one way to turn the car, turn it almost to the point where it ends, then go back a little so your not turning the steering wheel till it ends, then holding it there.
Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
Never turn it all the way left? Never heard of that one before. How would a K or U-turn at a traffic light work then?
He's referring to the undue strain that is put upon the power steering pump when you turn the steering wheel to the maximum, (stopped at all the way left turn or right turn). You should back off the steering wheel from that position by a couple inches when you hit it but still need to turn as sharply as possible. You should also know that upon releasing the wheel as described, your car will still be turning the wheels the maximum amount as the mechanical limits are reached first, hold it at the max and the power steering pump is over working / building up too much pressure. You can burn up A hydraulic pump prematurely if you do it like you've been doing all the time.
You can hear the noise it makes and then it goes away when you release it a little.
I hope I've made it easy to understand for you.
Is this your first car with power steering?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM
pcwd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind of noise would your steering pump make when you have it near the maximum left or right turns?

I just noticed my steering wheel makes a plastic rubbing sound sort of like a pigeon sound when I'm at a stop and have my steering wheel at or near its left or right max turn.

DaCePtak0n - please keep us updated on what your dealer found.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM
DaCePtak0n

This is actually my 4th car with power steering (3 Mercedes & Toyota). I'll keep you all posted but my bro-in-law was standing near the car when I was pulling into a parking spot and yup, the same noise. He was it sounded horrible and I pretty much knew that as I can hear it from inside the house.

It's a serious grinding sound and I hope to have this and all other sounds diagnosed, alleviated and eradicated after this service.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the others said, you should never max out the steering wheel in either direction. If you turn it all the way, just let a bit of pressure off so you're not keeping the wheel turned as far as it will go.

Assuming that you already know this, then your problem is probably one of two things: First, a bad CV joint. There's an inner and outer CV joint on each front axle. When a CV is faulty, it can make a noise similar to the one you described. Secondly, you could have a faulty power steering rack or tie rod end (attached to the rack). Either way, it should be easy for the dealership techs to find and diagnose the problem.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 AM
pcwd

Mine is more of a moaning sound and it is cold outside here around -15C or 5F.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 AM
DaCePtak0n

MSCA, that's a better diagnosis and I appreciate that. I should be a lot more wiser walking into the service department with that terminology...Thanks
Old 12-10-2010, 06:43 AM
DaCePtak0n

An early and possibly premature diagnosis from the service advisor is that it's a bent braking shield that disperses heat for the brakes and it's a simple fix. He wasn't 100% sure but said that he won't rule out the idea of the sound coming from something more serious...

Keep you guys posted...
Old 12-17-2010, 07:53 AM
DaCePtak0n

So the car is back in the shop again. Dropped it last night to deal with the increasingly louder and frustrating windshield poppping/now cracking noise. I really hope for them to identify the issue and solve it.

Oh and while it's there, I'm having them address the body roll/creaking issue again (4th time). The dealership manager of Ray Catena Infiniti has agreed to sit down with me and get this car out of my life yet should I jump back into another Infiniti (M37s)?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM
DaCePtak0n

Just picked up the car and it rides beautifully, just like day one. Amazing service.,..
Old 12-18-2010, 08:11 PM
pcwd

Do you know what they did to fix your loud and frustrating windshield poppping/now cracking noise?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM
DaCePtak0n

"Road tested and verified popping/cracking noise generated from front windshield cowl finisher. Removed frt cowl and applied silicon."

"Road tested and confirmed creaking noise generated from dirty sunroof seal. cleaned and applied 3M lube to seal."

"Grease to contact areas to dampen noise. Reinstalled and retested. Found no more noise heard on test."
Old 12-24-2010, 09:29 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

It's a serious grinding sound that occurs on deep left turns. It's so evident this afternoon that I pulled into our driveway and my dad came running out thinking I was dragging something metal under my car...

I have an appt scheduled with the dealer for Thursday but man, this is embarrassing. Rattles form the dashboard, pooping sounds from the windshield when going over bumps or uneven roads, body creaking and now this?

Any ideas?
THe sound is emanated when I'm making a left turn forward. To get onto one side of my driveway when coming from the opposite direction, you have to turn it all the way to the left. The sound is excruciating.
I'll keep you all posted but my bro-in-law was standing near the car when I was pulling into a parking spot and yup, the same noise. He was it sounded horrible and I pretty much knew that as I can hear it from inside the house.

It's a serious grinding sound
An early and possibly premature diagnosis from the service advisor is that it's a bent braking shield that disperses heat for the brakes and it's a simple fix. He wasn't 100% sure but said that he won't rule out the idea of the sound coming from something more serious...
Keep you guys posted...
I'm surprised you never told us what was causing the excruciating sound (not the windshield noises that this thread evolved into)
Was the power steering pump going bad perhaps?

Quick Reply: Terrible Sound on Deep Left Turns