Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Disappointed After 1 Year of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:36 PM
notlkk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Disappointed After 1 Year of Ownership

I've been driving my '08 G37s for over a year now and I must say I'm greatly disappointed in its overall quality, specially when I compare it to my RX330.

My RX330 is about 3 years old and it never has any rattles, interior or mechanical issues. It just feels smooth. On the other side, my G37s has the following issues that absolutely drive me nuts:

1. A Pillar creak
2. Windshield popping noise when temprature changes (specially when it's cold)
3. Trunk noises (specially when driving up the drive way and I still can't figure out what is causing the noise)
4. Muffler rattles when the car starts up in the first 2 minutes
5. Wipers chatter. Again, the wipers on my RX330 still work like new and I've never replaced them.
6. Noisy gearbox and transmission
7. Driver-side leather seat bubble. Again, my RX330 doesn't have this problem. Cheap material?

Overall, my G37s just doesn't have the quality for a $40K+ car and I'm pretty sure I will never purchase another Infiniti again.

I'd like to see how you feel about your G37.

Last edited by notlkk; 12-02-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
I have the same year vehicle,

1. A Pillar creak= I dont have that
2. Windshield popping noise when temprature changes (specially when it's cold)=I dont have that
3. Trunk noises (specially when driving up the drive way and I still can't figure out what is causing the noise)=what I did with this is armor all my weather stripping the same with the sunroof, it helped
4. Muffler rattles when the car starts up in the first 2 minutes= recall, go to the dealer
5. Noisy gearbox and transmission= I have the same, I also had this problem with my 06 350Z
The following users liked this post:
Джон (06-16-2019)
Old 12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
OMG37

Originally Posted by notlkk

Overall, my G37s just doesn't have the quality for a $40K+ car and I'm pretty sure I will never purchase another Infinity again.

I'm not sure about your Infinity, but my 2008 Infiniti G37 has been absolutely flawless with regards to any mechanical or noise issues. And I was rear ended the 2nd day after owning the vehicle.

Sorry, I find it a little annoying that people can't spell the manufacturer correctly, especially when they own the freakin' car.
Джон (06-16-2019)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM
notlkk

Thanks for the correction. Yeah, it's Infiniti. Come to think of it, maybe they should change the name to Infinity so they'll have better quality.
Джон (06-16-2019)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Gyoza

I understand your point. I have owned a couple of Toyotas and Lexus and can attest to their long term quality, HOWEVER (and this is how I rationalize it), you have to give something up to get the performance.

Now if Lexus offered a 330+hp GT/Sports coupe, I would be the first in line, but lets face it, outside of the somewhat dated IS-F there isnt much excitement coming out of Toyota/Lexus these days.
Джон (06-16-2019)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
How do you like to get "check engine light" after 300 miles getting new G37.. that has happened to me. I think like all cars, some will have issues while others won't.
Minor things bugs me but hey what I can do. I just live with it and drive with it.
So far still a great car. It only takes small stuff like that can discourage ppl from buying cars in the future.

If it's still under warranty, try to get your stuff fixed.

First 3k issues

1)Engine light - Gas cap replaced
2)Driver side window wiper leaves void (replaced)
3)Power mirror switch needs to be replaced (somehow it was pushed in and won't sit correctly) Need to go back and have it replaced.
Джон (06-16-2019)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
jnifong

Originally Posted by Gyoza
I understand your point. I have owned a couple of Toyotas and Lexus and can attest to their long term quality, HOWEVER (and this is how I rationalize it), you have to give something up to get the performance.

Now if Lexus offered a 330+hp GT/Sports coupe, I would be the first in line, but lets face it, outside of the somewhat dated IS-F there isnt much excitement coming out of Toyota/Lexus these days.
Other than having the accelerator get stuck and plow you down the high way out of control. That's not exciting? Too soon?

I, personally, haven't experienced any of these issues with the exception of the muffler and transmission chatter. The transmission must be a nissan thing, like the 06 350z mentioned earlier, my 03 350z did it also.
Джон (06-16-2019)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had mine a year and a half. Nothing to complain about that matters. I never have the stereo low enough to notice any creaks or rattles. I hear them once in awhile coming out of an underground garage when I have no sat signal.....but nothing major to me. Only "problems" I have had such as dead battery have been my fault when I left the lights on even though the car was beeping at me like crazy. Charged it up and it was good.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my mileage is too high. that's the only flaw i see in my car
Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by notlkk
I've been driving my '08 G37s for over a year now and I must say I'm greatly disappointed in its overall quality, specially when I compare it to my RX330.

My RX330 is about 3 years old and it never has any rattles, interior or mechanical issues. It just feels smooth. On the other side, my G37s has the following issues that absolutely drive me nuts:

1. A Pillar creak
The suspension of the G is much stiffer than that of the RX330. As such, there are much higher forces acting on the chassis of the car.
2. Windshield popping noise when temprature changes (specially when it's cold)
See above
3. Trunk noises (specially when driving up the drive way and I still can't figure out what is causing the noise)
Again, see above
4. Muffler rattles when the car starts up in the first 2 minutes
There is a TSB for this. Go to your dealer and have it addressed when you get your next service done. It is free.
5. Wipers chatter. Again, the wipers on my RX330 still work like new and I've never replaced them.
Um... wiper blades are typically replaced annually. They'll cost you less than 30 bucks.
6. Noisy gearbox and transmission
It IS a sport coupe. If the G is loud to you, I sincerely hope you never get in a dedicated sports car.
7. Driver-side leather seat bubble. Again, my RX330 doesn't have this problem. Cheap material?
Again, TSB. Free repair.

Overall, my G37s just doesn't have the quality for a $40K+ car and I'm pretty sure I will never purchase another Infiniti again.

Let me ask you this. Do you drive your RX330 the way you drive your G?

You did take a rather major step going from a spruced up minivan to a luxury sport coupe.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Namir
Registered Member

My wipers make noise when they get to the apex of their sweep pattern. They are quiet until the very peak of the rotation where they start to come back down.
Is this the same noise you had?

My car did this the first time I used my wipers, I only have 1400 miles.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have had my '08 G for a little over 2 years now with over 48K on the clock. I have none of the issues you complain of. I had the infamous muffler rattle on cold starts, but I had it replaced with no hassles. I have since replaced it with aftermarket exhaust. It still takes about 2 minutes for the car to warm up completely - just like every other car I've ever owned. None of the other issues you have.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
notlkk

Mike, you completely missed my point. I was using my RX330 to compare in quality and it has nothing to do with how I drive these cars.

Are you saying becaue it's a performance car it should have less quality? I don't buy that at all.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM
notlkk

The wiper chatter I was talking about happens when I drive over 40 MPH on freeway. I will try to get the blades replaced by the dealer.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
im sure you do'nt drive your RX330 the way you probably drive your Infiniti.

Quick Reply: Disappointed After 1 Year of Ownership