Sponsored By:

side impact beam

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 PM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
side impact beam

Hey guys, need some expert info here.

So, I got a small door ding awhile back on the driver's side, right where the crease is that runs horizontally across the door. Took it to this place for paintless dent repair, and as I understand the process, they take some metal rods and whatnot and try to pop the dent out from behind. Anyway, they got most of it out, but not all, and although it's hard to see, you can make it out when you look at how the light reflects off the spot.

Anyway, they explained that they couldn't get all of it out because right where the door crease is, behind it, is a metal bar going across. It makes sense that doors should have something like that to help with side collisions, but then i'm thinking: how did they get any of the dent out at all, unless it was right on the edge?

I tried to search for this, but couldn't find any pictures of what's behind the door sheet metal to confirm or deny their claims.

So, to the G gurus on this forum, is there any truth to this metal bar thing that runs beneath the crease of the door? Basically, i'm trying to decide if i should have this looked at by someone else, or if it's just something i'll have to live with short of like replacing the entire door....

Thanks muchly!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Like you said, it makes sense for something like that to be there. They probably worked around it and did the best they could. How severe was the dent? Sometimes its just not possible to get it all out.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM
2009G37

Oh it wasn't bad to be honest, like a very shallow dent, the size of a pinky finger tip originally. Now what's left is less than a quarter inch x quarter inch. Again, very shallow, and i can barely feel it with my hand, but the way it catches the light...maybe it's just me, but i notice it all the time. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal. Hell, i could get rear ended tomorrow or something. But you know, being a car guy, every small thing like this bothers me hahah.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't tell me you have a PG G. Same crap happened to me this weekend past, the yoyo didn't even leave a note - man was I pissed. Any ways I'm trying to find a place to guarantee their work for the dent removal - haven't found anyone yet but for $175 (average price) I expect a guarantee.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
2009G37

Sorry to hear about that man. It's amazing how much we can love our cars haha. I have Athens Blue, less than a year old

And the thing is, they can never guarantee it 100%. Not all body panels are accessible, for instance in my case where it's behind a side impact beam, apparently.... I don't really understand though. It's not like the beam is flush with the aluminum. If it was, the dent wouldn't have happened in the first place. So there must be a gap between the beam and the sheet metal!!!

But hey, when you go to get yours fixed, post up the results. I wanna know if the place you go to says the same thing about the side impact beam getting in the way! I feel like almost replacing the entire door....as irrational as that sounds from a financial POV.