G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

**check out what i did**

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice work, looks great..... unfortunately i still don't like your wheel choice...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
nice job!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oops! I used RTV clear silicone sealant. I bought a set of OEM to put back in one day when I sell it, and was going to have my current ones mod'ed some more.....sounds like that is not such as good idea anymore.

Originally Posted by Igor@180Custom
Good luck getting that headlight apart if you ever need to. lol
Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 PM
amarcusg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the headlights look amazing. well done !
Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Hiram Abiff

Bro, where in bergen u at? im in essex co,. we should meet up,..
Old 08-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nostalgia85
re to g37 Sam if you never had that kinda work. it will be hard thing to do
risky thing is u can break it when u open the cover(factory silica is damn tighten, so it dodsne't get fully losen with baking) n u need lil painting skill as well. comparing to other mod i have donee. exhaust and intake. it's 2x maybe lilmore harder.

and i go to home depot and looked for silicon with water proof and heat resistance and clear color
are you sure u didn't melt your housing by not putting a card board or wet towel when baking your headlights???
Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 AM
nostalgia85

not at all. as long as u dont' put that in microwave it should be fine but you still need to keep checking it every 30 seconds just in case.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 AM
ucla bruin

Last thing you should do is use silicone to seal up the headlight, you'll probably end up ruining it, I've seen several headlight company's make that mistake.
Good luck getting that headlight apart if you ever need to. lol

What's with all the negative comments in almost every DIY headlight thread. People are doing a great job. Just because they didn't get it done "professionally", it doesn't mean it's crap or they made a mistake, or it should've been done differently. Let's keep it positive or at least use a constructive tone when criticizing please.

FYI, he will have no problem taking the headlights apart in the future. You just have to have the right tools and resources. Silicone does not ruin your lights, it's very easy to undo, if you know how.

Originally Posted by HamstersG
Oops! I used RTV clear silicone sealant. I bought a set of OEM to put back in one day when I sell it, and was going to have my current ones mod'ed some more.....sounds like that is not such as good idea anymore.
Try the black silicone sealant, don't use the RTV one.

OP, awesome job, ingenious idea on using the grinded silicone to get rid of small amounts of moisture.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 AM
simplyInstincts

very nice
Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Good call on the metallic gray housing. Great job!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:40 AM
SOLISIMO

You should of thrown those rims in the oven and baked them at 900 degrees for 4hrss
Old 08-01-2009, 09:54 AM
nostalgia85

i wish i had more money to get better rims i got it for 1.1k with 90% tires left so i don't think it was a bad deal. cuz i still like it better than stock. had no choice maybe i will try to sell it on other cars forum. thanks for the positive comments...idc if it someone left a negative comment becuase i got ***** to do this and they don't
Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by nostalgia85
not at all. as long as u dont' put that in microwave it should be fine but you still need to keep checking it every 30 seconds just in case.
cool, i was just curious. good work though!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. I will try that one if I open them up again.

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
What's with all the negative comments in almost every DIY headlight thread. People are doing a great job. Just because they didn't get it done "professionally", it doesn't mean it's crap or they made a mistake, or it should've been done differently. Let's keep it positive or at least use a constructive tone when criticizing please.

FYI, he will have no problem taking the headlights apart in the future. You just have to have the right tools and resources. Silicone does not ruin your lights, it's very easy to undo, if you know how.

OP, awesome job, ingenious idea on using the grinded silicone to get rid of small amounts of moisture.

If I didn't give a crap about these guys, I wouldn't post what I posted. I've seen ton's of people make this mistake, including other companies that use silicone to seal the lights. Silicone does not melt in the temperature you use to open the headlight, so if you seal the headlight with silicone, you'll have a hard time opening the light, which will result in you having a hard time sealing it because all that silicone gets all over the place and doesn't exactly come off, giving you an uneven seal and then you have condensation problems. Trust me dude, I've been doing headlights for 4 years, and using silicone is a no no... I've seen a company that installed Angel Rings on a G37 somewhere in CA, and they used silicone to seal the guys headlight, which releases gases... gases from the silicone get in the headlight and put a coat of misty substance on the lens, making you think your lights are condenstated. Trust me dude, I've seen it all, and I personally had to repair lights that were sealed with silicon that had condensation issues. I'm speaking from experience, not out of my a$$... no way was I trying to put these guys down, let them do it themselves, just do it correctly so you won't end up having to replacing a $1000 set of headlight.

Best way to seal up your lights is to use a windshield seal called buytl, looks like this:

Last edited by ONEighty; 08-01-2009 at 09:35 PM.