Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Car is driving like $hit

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 PM
coladin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lightspeed
Why lose sleep over $60 when it's so easy to siphon it out and fill up your mom's car with it. I could siphon my tank in a few minutes, in less time than it takes to read this thread.

I'm probably telling you what you already know, but to do this, simply put a hose in your tank, suck on the other end to create a vacuum and stop when you see the gasoline flowing through the hose, then put the free end into a series of gas cans, buckets, etc.

Reverse the procedure and put the gas into your sister's, girlfriend's or mom's economy car. Then fill the rest of your tank up with premium and you're good to go..
Old 05-14-2008, 12:24 AM
shmad

on the british tv show 5th gear they put in 4 different octane boosters in cars and measured the combustion increase...they all DECREASED power by 2%. so octane boosters would not help, in fact it'll probably make it worse.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2jbcCr2ll3c&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2jbcCr2ll3c&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i put in premium gas because ive noticed that i get more mpg out of premium than i do 87. ive noticed this on my previous maxima and on this car. at the end of the month, i spend exactly the same amount on gas whether i run premium or regular unleaded. when running regular unleaded ur timing WILL be retarded and u will lose horsepower, but that isnt my main concern. running premium will save ur knock sensor, which is at least a 300$ part to replace (at least it was on my 96 maxima). id rather run premium, get more mpg, spend the same amount on gas a month, and not have to spend $300 on replacing a knock sensor down the road. but thats just me....

Last edited by shmad; 05-14-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 AM
coladin

shmad, we definitely should put in the recommended octane, which is premium. At the same time, an !oops! as putting 87 by accident once will do no harm whatsoever.

Great find on the octane boost stuff. Never seen that but am not surprised at the ooutcome.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:57 AM
shmad

^^yea, i know that. i was just referring to putting in 87 on every visit to the gas station, like some others were saying in this thread
Old 05-14-2008, 11:33 AM
bocatrip

Yes, your car should lose some performance and power but it should not run all that badly. The car will automatically retard the timing due to the lower octane which in turn will decrease power. I too would suggest at the 1/2 mark fill it with premium. The 50/50 blend should pretty much bring you back to normal.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 PM
RedlineSi

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Yes, your car should lose some performance and power but it should not run all that badly. The car will automatically retard the timing due to the lower octane which in turn will decrease power. I too would suggest at the 1/2 mark fill it with premium. The 50/50 blend should pretty much bring you back to normal.

Correct!

Anyone who says they can't notice anything is a retard. The timing will be automatically retarded, so yes, there will be a decrease in performance.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
G35Tuning

Originally Posted by RedlineSi
Correct!

Anyone who says they can't notice anything is a retard. The timing will be automatically retarded, so yes, there will be a decrease in performance.
Thank you...
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RedlineSi
Correct!

I beg to differ, I notice no difference what-so-ever. I know my car inside and out, I can tell when I drive when my tires are low and which one's are, I assure you I've noticed no changes by filling up with 87 vs. 93, I also have been driving much more casually so I'm not looking for that high end gain with Premium gas. Like it was mentioned before, you might have got a mix of gas, there could be moisture in your tank, numerous other reasons not specifically due to the 87o gas. We can debate this til the bitter end but all I can say is life's too short to worry about a friggin tank of gas, seriously.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:14 PM
chungdae

One tank will not hurt it.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Achilles

Guys he's noticing a difference. All of the G's are not the same. They vary by different vendors, failures and compound issues. Yes they are all Infiniti vehicles but everyone isn't suffering from the muffler rattle, are they? Of course not. Most on this forum know their cars inside and out. They know what to expect from it and they know the little quarks that is sometimes specific to their vehicle.

Obviously, it's not going to kill the car. Temporary reduced performance, maybe so in his case. However, none of us are there to drive it and check for ourselves. Permanent damage, probably not.

G35Tuning, take what you will from the varying opinions in this forum. We can't drive your specific car that has this isolated issue. Personally, it sounds like you should be alright. If not, it's under warranty, it's all good. If the shi$$y performance continues after a few fill-ups of the premium octane, to the dealership it should go!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
G35Tuning

Originally Posted by Achilles
Guys he's noticing a difference. All of the G's are not the same. They vary by different vendors, failures and compound issues. Yes they are all Infiniti vehicles but everyone isn't suffering from the muffler rattle, are they? Of course not. Most on this forum know their cars inside and out. They know what to expect from it and they know the little quarks that is sometimes specific to their vehicle.

Obviously, it's not going to kill the car. Temporary reduced performance, maybe so in his case. However, none of us are there to drive it and check for ourselves. Permanent damage, probably not.

G35Tuning, take what you will from the varying opinions in this forum. We can't drive your specific car that has this isolated issue. Personally, it sounds like you should be alright. If not, it's under warranty, it's all good. If the shi$$y performance continues after a few fill-ups of the premium octane, to the dealership it should go!

Sounds good...Thanks to everyone who chimed in...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 PM
chain492

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Tuning
Doesn't it even read on the inside of the door...PREMIUM FUEL ONLY...Hello, can you read ENGLISH...

So any suggestions guys? Drive her cautiously and let the fuel run out? Or get this gas pulled asap?
pull gas ??
Old 05-14-2008, 07:44 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Its all in your head if you hadn't noticed from the receipt you would have never thought twice about it.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Cuda760

Thumbs up Your answer is ETHOS FR

Originally Posted by G35Tuning
Long story short.

Decided to get gas in NJ because its $0.15 cents per gallon cheaper then here in PA...NJ is full service only..Told the gas attendant to "FILL IT UP, PREMIUM 93". I paid with a credit card. After I drove off I realize that the gas was pretty cheap $60 for a filled tank...Looked at the receipt to see that instead of the $3.91 per gallon that I pulled in for, I got $3.71 per gallon which as I'm sure your already guessing is friggin REGULAR 87! Now the car sounds like $hit at startup...And runs like crap up the RPM's...

Do I need to just wait this tank out? Do I need to get the gas removed from the tank? Anything I need to be worried about here. Damn moron even poked his head in at the end and asked how many cylinders my car had...Damn azzhat...

Ethos FR is a new product...EPA approved mineral based liquid that you clean out your tank and oil with. In addition it gives you better performance, better gas mileage, and makes your car better for the environment. It isn't that expensive. To make a long story short, it will clean out your car of all that gunk; in addition to loosening up the chemicals. 1 ounce for every ten gallons. In two to three tanks, your car will be running the same again according to the research and studies. You'll also find that this product allows you to use 87 and it will loosen it up like a 91 or a 93. Try it out! I can't think of anything else bro! Google it...or click onto this link

http://www.ethosfr.com/

Cuda760

Last edited by Cuda760; 05-14-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
G35Tuning

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Its all in your head if you hadn't noticed from the receipt you would have never thought twice about it.
Diamond - I have no problem with peoples opinions...Obviously I made this thread with the intention of getting help from others...You've stated numberous times now how you feel its impossible that I felt any type of detonation or retarded timing....I'm not sure why you continue to throw random thoughts in on it...I said it once and I'll say it again...This was NOT in my head...I dont care what experiences you've personally had...The car was CHOKING when running through the gears at hard acceleration....

Again, no issues with you at all...But I really dont understand why you continue to tell me that I'm making things up or I wasn't feeling what I felt...I didn't run onto the forum as soon as the guy filled it up with 87...It was AFTER I parked the car and went to start it up again that she ran rough upon startup...So it clearly wasn't IN MY HEAD or I'd have put it IN MY HEAD as soon as I read the receipt while driving home that night...

This thread is dead...I appreciate the help from everyone (including yourself) because it gave me the answers I needed...Calmed me down a bit...Thanks to everyone...

Quick Reply: Car is driving like $hit