G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2 questions about our beloved G37...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:59 AM
servicepack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#2 sounds like a throw out bearing. it's a part on manual transmissions.

Since this is a very sticky clutch vehicle it is possible some of you may have upset it. This is a common thing to happen with new stick drivers

here's an article
http://www.nichols.nu/tip130.htm
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
G35Tuning

Originally Posted by servicepack
#2 sounds like a throw out bearing. it's a part on manual transmissions.

Since this is a very sticky clutch vehicle it is possible some of you may have upset it. This is a common thing to happen with new stick drivers

here's an article
http://www.nichols.nu/tip130.htm
I know what your describing and that wasn't what majority of us were referring too...The throw out bearing noise is usually high pitched and make majority of its noise as you let out the clutch and it fully engages...Anyways it seems like its no big deal since a few here are experiencing it, some probably have it and dont realize it...I just happened to realize because A. My G35 never made that sound and it was 6MT. B. I was parked in the garage so the sound was pronounced.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
coladin

Either a lot of people here have never had a manual transmission vehicle in their lives or they are very paranoid of this car falling to pieces lol.

I love the gear whine...have you never heard a porshce or ferrari in 1st gear? A Z06? There is, to my ears, nothing better than the engine sound in conjunction with gear whine!

The reason for the whine is mainly due to the size of the gear cog in 1st, it is very small, think of a bik in the easy gears, the spindle is small, as you go to higher gears they get bigger.

The second issue has been dealt with many times and is completely normal, and completely reasonable and falls in line with every manual tranny I have had for 2 decades.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Motor25

Originally Posted by Infinite G37S
The whining you are hearing is called "Gear Whine", every car does it, you should have heard my Subaru, sounded like there were cats in my transmission in 1st and 2nd.

The second thing you are hearing is the main shaft front bearing, when the clutch is depressed the transmission is still and the throwout bearing is spinning, with the clutch out you are now spinning the transmission and its the bearings and clutch disk you are hearing spin, its all very normal and seems to be a little louder in the G's.

Relax, everything will be fine!
QFT

mike
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My tranny whines a bit at around 2500-3000 rpm in any gear.....
Old 05-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by coladin
Either a lot of people here have never had a manual transmission vehicle in their lives or they are very paranoid of this car falling to pieces lol.

I love the gear whine...have you never heard a porshce or ferrari in 1st gear? A Z06? There is, to my ears, nothing better than the engine sound in conjunction with gear whine!

The reason for the whine is mainly due to the size of the gear cog in 1st, it is very small, think of a bik in the easy gears, the spindle is small, as you go to higher gears they get bigger.

The second issue has been dealt with many times and is completely normal, and completely reasonable and falls in line with every manual tranny I have had for 2 decades.
Preach the gospel my brother! I couldn't agree more.