G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sunroof SHATTERED

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:28 PM
ShiningStaR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! sorry to hear. that really scary too, like others said luckily the sun roof was not open!

from what i have heard the glass on the G37 are very soft and little rock will leave chip marks on the glass, which i have already seen!

possibly a rock did hit it, or maybe you went over some bump and ur sunroof wasnt mounted it place well and it cracked? :/ really dont know what to say, but glad you guys are safe!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Gr8Xsc8

Thank you for the kind heart words! We are very lucky nothing else significant happened. Took the car into the dealer this morning and my car is done. I will probably pick it up tomorrow. Will post pictures of post-shattered. Lol... thanks again guys!

I will never know what really happened but I'm glad to put this behind me and move on. It's still a beautiful and fast car.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msb3079
this is what i was gonna say... i'd really put blame on infiniti... there is NO WAY it could have been from an object... anything in the road that hit... could not have hit hard enough at that angle..... sorry, but there is just no way.
if by some chance it DID.. say something dropped from the sky.... it would have either been with the broken glass... or rolled other the car (making more noise) and leaving at least scratches.
this is without a doubt, a defect of some sort.
Originally Posted by nogoodname007
^^ yea, there no way anything hit it, unless objects on that freeway doesnt obey the laws of common physics LOL

i'm guessing it was a tight fit or installed wrong or some other kind of defect and u hit a bump and it shattered
OK guys, you did read the thread right? The OP stated that they went under some overpasses and/or bridges. If an object falls off an overhead object then it falls down. If you drive under that object as a say rock is thrown off of it and it hit the sunroof then smash. This did not explode or anything like that. Maybe if you lived in AZ and had some subzero AC hitting it at the same time plus a small chip in it then I could see it shattering. It sucks but I bet someone through a rock or something off one of those bridges and it hit your car just right. I have seen kids do that on overpasses in my town. Up there spitting on cars and kicking off small pebbles. OP, I am sorry that this happened to you though. Just think it could have been worse like hitting the front windshield which I hear cost over $1000 dollars.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:37 AM
gsazabi

Goddamn that's some crazy stuff! I hope everything got resolved.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Volant007

the thing to take away from this post is that
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Alicia Keys looked great at that concert.
brilliant
Old 05-13-2008, 10:44 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard this happening a few times with different models. A person is driving and the window is cracked just a hair, not enough for you to see it but enough to change the pressure in the cabin. when they hit faster speeds the pressure builds up till it pops at the weakest link. i.e. the sun roof glass.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Arrowhead

how in earth does this happen?! WOW! From now on I will always close the shade.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 AM
LAG37

wtffffff
Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Bombay

Originally Posted by Gr8Xsc8
Thank you for the kind heart words! We are very lucky nothing else significant happened. Took the car into the dealer this morning and my car is done. I will probably pick it up tomorrow. Will post pictures of post-shattered. Lol... thanks again guys!

I will never know what really happened but I'm glad to put this behind me and move on. It's still a beautiful and fast car.
Gr8Xsc8, I'm curious to know if ya'll still went to the concert or not? Sorry about your car, but it could have been worst.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Mike6mt

Well I had my sunroof shatter in my Scion tC, got it fixed under warranty, and traded it in the next day.

Isn't it supposed to be safety glass?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Gr8Xsc8

Originally Posted by Bombay
Gr8Xsc8, I'm curious to know if ya'll still went to the concert or not? Sorry about your car, but it could have been worst.
Ugh.. we went but I could not enjoy the concert. It was packed as hell though.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 PM
jnettomkins

Exploded Sunroof

The sunroof on my 2010 G37 sedan exploded around 7:30 this morning. I was driving on a two lane road, no other cars around me anywhere. I heard a loud boom and glass went everywhere. It was about 68 degrees outside and raining so all of the windows were up. There is absolutely no way anything hit my sunroof because there was nothing around me.

Last edited by jnettomkins; 04-04-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 PM
gill1606
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
one time when we were driving in new delhi, there was alot of raining going on and alot of puddles on the road, we were passing underneath an overpass bridge and a huge dump of water fell on top of our front windshield, it looked like we just hit a lake front first. we realized the water was dumped onto the car from traffic splashing water from the overhead bridge...freak incidents i

or maybe its "frame flexing" that causes the glass to crack, temperature changes can cause materials to expand and contract, maybe going from excess cold to excess heat all of a sudden caused the glass to crack via the frame putting tension on it