G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MY G IS FALLING APART!!!! Seatbelt came apart while driving!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
dzine07

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY G IS FALLING APART!!!! Seatbelt came apart while driving!!!

OK heres the scoop.

I was driving home last night from a friends house. I reached this massive intersection and was checking over my left shoulder for incoming traffic as I was about to turn right. Seeing there was no coming traffic i turned my body right pressed the gas pedal and thats when i noticed it..... MY SEATBELT ASSEMBLY WAS ON MY LAP.

Thats correct, the whole assembly that holds the seatbelt in place was on my lap. It must have come loose and unscrewed itself from the B pillar. After this happend, I pulled over at a gas station and checked it out. no luck. the assemble is too complicated and some of the part were all over my seat and floor. i put everything in my glove box and told myself i would deal with it in the morning.

SO.... Today is morning.

I called my dealer (its saturday so no service managers are there to help) and spoke with my salesman. I told him my story and he suggested i drive the car to the nearest infiniti dealer (which is 2 hours away) and drop the car off!!! I explained to him that I wasn't going to drive my G37S with summer tires through sleet and snow with no seatbelt for two hours so that i could drop my car off and have no way to get back or much less pick it up when they are done. He said he would speak to his service manager monday and find a solution. Till this gets fixed I have no G.............

I suggested to him that there is a Nissan dealership i can drive to and possibly drop it off. He said he'd call me monday.

I'm EXTREMELY PISSED. I dont know whats gonna happen but I want my G fixed and i dont feel like i should go out of my way to fix this problem. To make matters worse, the seatbelt assembly is scratching my interior panels when i drive the car.

What to do? Can i get a new G if i feel unsafe?

pics coming in a few minutes!
Attached Thumbnails MY G IS FALLING APART!!!! Seatbelt came apart while driving!!!-1.jpg   MY G IS FALLING APART!!!! Seatbelt came apart while driving!!!-2.jpg   MY G IS FALLING APART!!!! Seatbelt came apart while driving!!!-3.jpg  

Last edited by dzine07; 12-01-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM
iko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't there a law against driving without a seatbelt? Your salesman is suggesting you break laws? I'd call Infiniti roadside assistance and have it towed to the closest dealership, immediately.

Sh*t happens with new cars. (sadly) You won't get a new G, but you'll definitely get this one repaired. Unfortunately, if you live so far from a dealership it may be a hassle to deal with this problem. Perhaps the Nissan dealership is a better alternative. I'd still have the thing towed and not risk driving without a seat belt.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:30 PM
dzine07

yes, there is a law thats ban's you from driving without one. according to the law. my car is undrivable. acnt they send some techs to the nissan dealer by me and have them take care of it there? its physically impossible for me to drive the G the the infiniti dealer. im not going to put myself at risk.

I called the roadside assitance and they said all they can do it tow it for me. no rental car, nothing. whatever happens i want this car looking like new again. its all scratched up and the way its looking -they're gonna have to take all those panels apart to get in there and tighten the belt clips. this is a warranty issue. if the car is undrivable they need to figure out a way. I'm just gonna sit back and watch.

i want my G back damit!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:27 PM
G-Pimp

I don't think that you will get a new G- that really stinks that your seatbelt actually fell apart. Maybe you should take this up with corporate especially since it is a brand new car.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:45 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely don't settle unless you're happy with the result. Complain to your dealer to have then give you a free rental while your car gets picked up by their tow truck. My dealer offered free rental when I asked for my car to be checked out.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:00 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

That is a huge safety issue and I'm thinkin' "recall". Did you send these photos to your dealer? They should be all over the problem and you should be given a safe car to drive immediately. What the hell's wrong with them??
Old 12-01-2007, 04:46 PM
iko

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
That is a huge safety issue and I'm thinkin' "recall". Did you send these photos to your dealer? They should be all over the problem and you should be given a safe car to drive immediately. What the hell's wrong with them??
If there are other reports of the seatbelts coming apart then without question it's a recall. Otherwise, it's a one-time problem which will be repaired.

My dealership provides free loaner cars even if you're getting an oil change. Isn't this standard practice?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:59 PM
dzine07

apparently this isn't isolated. i just spoke to a guy in service a few minutes ago and he hinted that there have been PDF's on how to approach the issue. meaning this was either expected or done before.

recall? maybe. if it happens to one car. its a recall worthy procedure. not to mention the lawsuits they would loose if someone actually got hurt in an accident and the seatbelt came off.

my car isnt even a month old.

Yes, i did speak with the dealer and sent them the pictures. still no response.

should i demand a rental from them? or does this rental come from my insurance/roadside assistance?

and no, i dont plan on settling until all those scratches are covered up and delt with proffesionally in addition to the buckle beiing put back propoerly. im also suggesting they look at the passenger one as well.

this sucks.

what would talking with corporate do?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Motor25

dayum, that sucks

let us know what happens
Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 PM
sanscu

Wow, at least the rest of us know what a seatbelt in your lap looks like. Thanks for pics.

On a more serious note, you are very right not to want to drive without a seatbelt. Even though, I do it all the time I am just being an idiot when I do it.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:35 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lawyer time! Sue infiniti up the A$$
Old 12-01-2007, 07:03 PM
jadams

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call Infiniti roadside assistance. They should come and pick up the car and transport it for you. Infiniti also will provide a loaner car. I would think that they would also replace the scratched panels.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 PM
orhanz33

that's a little scary. if it fell off with hardly tension, how will they hold up in a collision?

do you happen to know the build date of your G37?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Something sounds fishy here!!!!!!!!! Very strange!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoa that's crazy. Keep us informed on your progress! If this is really an issue that might escalate into a recall, I'm sure all of us would like to know.

Quick Reply: MY G IS FALLING APART!!!! Seatbelt came apart while driving!!!