MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   bimmer guy tracked G37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/175223-bimmer-guy-tracked-g37.html)

cvt 11-12-2007 03:43 AM

bimmer guy tracked G37

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=242363

pretty fair and honest review...:biggthumpup:

"I owned a G35 6-speed for 39 months. It was an excellent vehicle, but I always felt it lacked the refinement of a BMW. I didn't regret replacing it with a 335i. On the track, the G35 had some flaws (the front suspension would get unsettled on bumpy corners). The brakes also seemed to be overworked.

The G37 was nearly unflappable on the track. It did very well on all of the corners, and it never showed any of the faults/flaws I found with the previous model. Now, I think that excellent track-ready suspension is a bit too hard for street use. BMW has found a great compromise with suspension (as a result, the non-M models are usually a bit soft on the track).

I am a huge BMW fan, but I would choose the G37 Coupe over my 335i sedan (100% stock configuration) for an all-day track event. A stock BMW (even with sport package) has a lot of body roll when pushed really, really, hard. I think the 2008 G37 Coupe is much better dynamically than the 2008 G35 Sedan (I drove that last year on the track and was not very impressed). Of course, I'd choose a 335i Coupe over a G37 Coupe for a daily driver without any thought.

As of today, I have driver 73 different cars on the track (yes, I keep a list). The second you hit the first corner, it is immediately apparent if the car is set up for that type of driving."

iko 11-12-2007 07:42 AM

Yeah, I read his review the other day. Great writeups as always. One of the final points is really the clincher. Do you plan on driving it daily or is it a track car?

GSpot37 11-12-2007 08:34 AM

Nice!!!

Thank you for sharing.

Cesar

Greeney 11-12-2007 09:14 AM

More confusion for me...

vinnys coupe 11-12-2007 10:20 AM

thanks for sharing..great find

cvt 11-12-2007 03:39 PM

it's definately surprising comming from a BMW guy..a lot of them seem to hate...quite a few really are car-lovers, but it seems a lot are just badge whores.

S6MT 11-12-2007 04:13 PM

Did you hear the the 335i, even with the Sport package, has an open differential - no limited slip? Several tests say it's constantly trying to spin one rear tire and on the traction control, especially in the rain. That seems inexcusable to me...

Brent72 11-12-2007 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by cvt (Post 2237302)
it's definately surprising comming from a BMW guy..a lot of them seem to hate...quite a few really are car-lovers, but it seems a lot are just badge whores.

The day I picked up my new G37 I had it parked in the lot of a big shopping center and as I was getting back into it a guy in a new 335 pulled up a few spots away. He stared at my car as he got out of his and then as he was walking away he turned around to look at it again. Honestly, I was just shocked that a BMW guy was even showing any interest in a non-Bimmer car. He certainly seemed to be enthralled with my new G, though. :cool:

CHI-TOWN G37 11-12-2007 07:28 PM

Nice track comments, but this is also an unbelievable daily driver with every bell and whistle available. Not sure why he is convinced that the BMW is a better daily driver. The G coddles you more than beats you up. Oh well...:icon43:

GSpot37 11-12-2007 07:50 PM

The King Is Death

The King (bmw) is Death :driving::driving::JAMIN::JAMIN:

:bowdown:G37S

gspotter 11-13-2007 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37 (Post 2237357)
Nice track comments, but this is also an unbelievable daily driver with every bell and whistle available. Not sure why he is convinced that the BMW is a better daily driver. The G coddles you more than beats you up. Oh well...:icon43:

Those Bimmer drivers can't face the truth that the G37 is a better track car AND daily driver! The G has much more coddling features, simply a much cooler car overall! The Bimmer interior looks so bland.

S6MT 11-13-2007 10:52 AM

So we have'em on the track and as a daily driver. That's obviously most important, but if we could just figure out how to give us the edge in a drag race against a stock 335. I would pay something for that...

EJ2000 11-13-2007 12:50 PM

Both cars really have different advantages. The G37 might feel better around the track to some, but it will definitely lose in a drag race if the 335i driver is solid. The suspension on the G (with sport package) is certainly a little harsh for day to day driving (compared with the 335i). When he says it's a better daily driver, it sounds like he is referring to ride quality and not tech/features. It's hard to dispute that the G37 does not have an advantage there in presentation and value.

As for aesthetics, some people swear by the exterior looks and interior simplicity in the 3 series. Personally, I think that the G37 (and G35) are very sharp, especially compared to an e90 335i. I think the e92 is not very photogenic, but looks much better than the e90 in person. On the inside, I like the layout and look of the G37/35 better. But once you spend a fair amount of time in both the 3er and G, you can see that while the quality of materials in the G has improved, it is still a bit lacking on feel/quality.

It's hard to dispute the advantage the 335i has on the dragstrip and in modability. The G might excel a bit more on the track, but it's not difficult to improve the suspension on the 335i. Both are wonderful cars, but each really has it's own distinctive character.

S6MT 11-13-2007 12:57 PM

How about the open differential in the 335? That's a fatal flaw for me...end of story.

cvt 11-13-2007 03:17 PM

my post wasn't intended to put down the bimmer. i was just surprised myself that a BMW guy had stated that the G37 was a better track car. Wasn't it R&T that said 'G37 for the autobhan but 335i' for the track?

Just to goes to show that despite what A LOT of bimmer owners say (and quite a few noobs and haters), these two cars (335i and G37) are very comparable to each other.