MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   G37 Coupe (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe-239/)
-   -   bimmer guy tracked G37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/175223-bimmer-guy-tracked-g37.html)

EJ2000 11-15-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by S6MT (Post 2238040)
Yeah, why would a 300 HP twin turbo car need a limited-slip differential? Give me a break...

No one is saying it couldn't benefit from one. But a lot of people also think it performs fine without it. And by any performance measure we already have, I'd have to agree.

From what we have to go on, the 335i has the same skidpad numbers as the G37. It is slightly behind the G37 in slalom, but only 1-2 mph (but does the G37 get an advantage due to 4was, LSD, or both??). Lastly, most drag numbers have consistently indicated that the 335i has a much better 60' time than the G37 does. If it was having such a hard time launching, why can so many people pull off 2.0 or lower 60' times while we have yet to see a G37 below 2.0 in the 60'....

cvt 11-15-2007 12:50 PM

i don't thikn the launch is where it needs it...it's when exiting out a turn...when you come out too hot the tail tends to wag a little where as the G37 lines up nice...though many drivers like it when the back end slips, it's definately a preference than anything else.

btw-i've had the G for over 4 weeks and haven't gotten her past 4K....250 miles to go till after the break in.

Deang35c6 11-15-2007 04:56 PM

I felt the the guy had some pretty good points about both cars in stock form, but I can't believe he got the Bremob's to fade. Then again, he didn't say what model year G35 he had. The beauty of the G35 is that it can be made to handle very well for very little money. I've almost forgotten how a stock G35 rides, since my car has Bilstiens now and Tein S-Techs and Tokicos before.

Tarkus 11-15-2007 05:01 PM

No LSD in a tight turn applying throttle almost always = inside wheel spin. This is most noticable on the track, but also applies to street. The theory is most people don't drive a BMW to anywhere near it's limit on the street and in 98% of cases they're right. There are a handful of enthusaists who know and can appreciate the difference. It boils down to safety and cost. Personally, no LSD, on a 50k performance sedan/coupe is a crying shame. And virtually all 335 reviews agree.

For me- I'm enamored by the overall package and value of the G37. I think it's a smarter buy. Wish it had the 335 transmission, but no car is ideal. Although the Ferrari 550 is damn close...

stinger44 11-15-2007 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by cvt (Post 2238034)
+1 these cars are so great....yet so different! we are really living in an era of great cars (too bad gas prices are so high, lol).

you've got a high reving, high rpm frenzied freeway puller that's both street and track compliant with all the techno gadgets you want on the G37S...

...and on the other side of the spectrum you have a tourqey silent killer that leaves more room for power at reasonable prices plus with great handling and all the luxuries amenties that make you feel like a king in the 335i.

definate opposites in approach but also very comparable....

Well stated. Choosing cars is really quite exciting these days. The innovations are superb and we have a tremendous variety of performance and/or luxury to choose from. I love it!

stinger44 11-15-2007 10:49 PM

Give me a break?

Originally Posted by S6MT (Post 2238040)
Yeah, why would a 300 HP twin turbo car need a limited-slip differential? Give me a break...

It's all in what you want in a car. Anyone comparing their cars to the BMWs for handling is treading on thin ice when making claims their car handles better; just from the engineering and reputation standpoint alone. Much of that depends on the driver him/herself. We as ordinary drivers put a lot of stock in the car mags because their drivers for the most part are professionals in their field.

The G37 is very comparable to the BMW 335i in many ways and to start knocking BMW because they don't have a mechanical LSD and somehow insinuating it degrades the launch and handling of the 335i is delirium. Motortrend gave the edge to the G37, C&D gave the edge to the 335i. Who's right? Neither, the owner of the car/customer is right.

cvt 11-15-2007 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by stinger44 (Post 2238225)
It's all in what you want in a car. Anyone comparing their cars to the BMWs for handling is treading on thin ice when making claims their car handles better; just from the engineering and reputation standpoint alone. Much of that depends on the driver him/herself. We as ordinary drivers put a lot of stock in the car mags because their drivers for the most part are professionals in their field.

The G37 is very comparable to the BMW 335i in many ways and to start knocking BMW because they don't have a mechanical LSD and somehow insinuating it degrades the launch and handling of the 335i is delirium. Motortrend gave the edge to the G37, C&D gave the edge to the 335i. Who's right? Neither, the owner of the car/customer is right.

go easy on him...he just bought his car...the endorphins are just in full blast :D

stinger44 11-15-2007 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by cvt (Post 2238046)
i don't thikn the launch is where it needs it...it's when exiting out a turn...when you come out too hot the tail tends to wag a little where as the G37 lines up nice...though many drivers like it when the back end slips, it's definately a preference than anything else.

btw-i've had the G for over 4 weeks and haven't gotten her past 4K....250 miles to go till after the break in.

Did anyone see the video test drive between the 335i and S5? Granted, it was done on dry pavement like many tests but she put the 335i through the paces and came out of the turns very nicely and defeated the S5 (does the S5 have LSD?) on that track. The lack of a mechanical LSD on the part of the 335i didn't seem to be a hinderance then.:D

stinger44 11-15-2007 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by cvt (Post 2238228)
go easy on him...he just bought his car...the endorphins are just in full blast :D

True;)

S6MT 11-15-2007 11:33 PM

Changed my mind. Thanks for your service stinger.

cvt 11-16-2007 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by stinger44 (Post 2238236)
Did anyone see the video test drive between the 335i and S5? Granted, it was done on dry pavement like many tests but she put the 335i through the paces and came out of the turns very nicely and defeated the S5 (does the S5 have LSD?) on that track. The lack of a mechanical LSD on the part of the 335i didn't seem to be a hinderance then.:D

yes. that was fifth gear, great show IMHO. great comparo between power vs handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI

the 335i is a great handling car. i have already stated this on previous posts. i have also stated that i was on the fence regarding the purchse of either G37and 335i. what swayed me was exactly what the reviewer that i posted described the 335i has too much body roll and seemed too soft in the corners. i have driven both G37S and 335i w/ sport package and the G37S seemed more planted with it's stiffer roll bars, revised suspension, lsd, and quicker steering. in comparison the sport package on the 335i only has the speed limiter, 18" wheel/tire upgrade, and better steering ratio...no lsd, no suspension tweaks. is this a bad thing? no b/c the 335i's suspension is very DD compliant and offers great handling to boot. it just doesn't feel that planted.

i don't think anyone in their right mind is saying "the 335i has bad handling b/c it has no LSD". far from it. but with a car that has so much tourque down low and so much across the power band it would benifit it much more comming out of the corners if it did. then again...that would mean another advantage to the 335i over the G37S...

stinger44 11-16-2007 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by S6MT (Post 2238257)
Changed my mind. Thanks for your service stinger.

You don't have to change your mind. We agree to disagree; no biggie.:cool:

Thanks

S6MT 11-16-2007 09:17 AM

Stinger,
I didn't change my mind about the LSD issue. I posted a response and then deleted it. I don't want to argue about it. I didn't realize you had just bought a 335i. It's an awesome car.

stinger44 11-16-2007 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by S6MT (Post 2238329)
Stinger,
I didn't change my mind about the LSD issue. I posted a response and then deleted it. I don't want to argue about it. I didn't realize you had just bought a 335i. It's an awesome car.

Sorry, wasn't trying to argue.. More like debating. :biggthumpup:

S6MT 11-16-2007 08:55 PM

stinger,

Okay, I’ll bite.

It sounded like the beginning of an argument… You’re use of the term “delirium” had me a little tweaked and ready to fire back with equally aggressive language. I actually posted something…

Then I read cvt’s post that said “he just bought his car”. At first I thought he was talking about me, but then I read some of your past posts and one that said you just ordered a 335. I also saw that you are serving our Country, which I respect greatly.

Then I read more of your posts and saw that you used to own a G35 like I did, and that you were not in love with the cosmetic re-design (especially the front) of the G, a feeling I share with you. I swore until the day I bought one that I wouldn’t, if nothing else as a protest of them “softening” the style that was so good on the G35.

So, I deleted my post. I don’t really want to be perceived as dumping on somebody’s new car or purchase decision. Everyone has an opinion…

I’m not anti-BMW. Before my ‘04 G35, I had a 740i that I tweaked with springs, wheels, tires. I can’t imagine a better high speed highway cruiser than that 740. BMW’s steering and driving “feel” is IMHO beyond comparison.

I’m sure that the 335i is a wonderful car. I sure don’t want to drag race one in my G37. In a road race, I’m sure the cars are close enough that the driver would make all the difference. Although the steering feel of the G37 might be closer than ever before, I’m confident the 3 is still the benchmark on which all others should be judged. I think the 335i is a better looking car, but the G37 is growing on me.

For me, the lack of a LSD is an insulting, marketing driven de-featuring of an otherwise great performance car. For me, it means that BMW might care more about their poser majority, than their real performance enthusiast base.

It’s not a matter on general “handling” as most people would describe it. It has more to do with what makes for a proper performance car. Some people think proper performance cars can be FWD. I don’t. But I may actually prefer FWD to an RWD open differential car.

The issue is exactly what cvt described about exiting a corner. It’s also about using your right foot to rotate the car. This rotation can be as precise or as crude as the driver or the driver’s mood. On the precise side, if you’re really good, your passenger, unless they are a fellow enthusiast, will not even notice it. Only the driver will know that the proper throttle input resulted in the expected smooth rotation and transitions. On the crude side, it’s a full-blown power slide. Sometimes I just want to be “tail- out”, “back it into the corner” as they say. Responsibly done, it’s fun driving and I enjoy it. Maybe someday I’ll grow up, but I sure hope nobody‘s counting on it. Call me crazy, but sometimes I just love throttle-on over-steer.

The problem for me is, I can’t do either of those things (properly) with an open differential car. It’s doesn’t matter if it has 300 or 500 horsepower, even though it’s RWD, it just ain’t happ’nin’.

Truth be told, if I could afford it, I would buy a new M3. I guess for $70K, BMW would grant me a LSD rear. I’m just glad Infiniti did it for about half the price.

Sorry for being so long-winded. But I thought you deserved my full explanation.