Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

bimmer guy tracked G37

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
EJ2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
my post wasn't intended to put down the bimmer. i was just surprised myself that a BMW guy had stated that the G37 was a better track car. Wasn't it R&T that said 'G37 for the autobhan but 335i' for the track?

Just to goes to show that despite what A LOT of bimmer owners say (and quite a few noobs and haters), these two cars (335i and G37) are very comparable to each other.
I completely agree. Both my friend (who owns a 335i) and I agree that the R&T article read opposite to what we felt. It should say 335i for the autobahn but G37 for the track. At any rate, I still notice the G37 "feels" like it has a much better high speed stability than my old G35 did.

My previous post was more to clarify that one car is not really that superior to the other - and that they both excel in different ways. On e90post they unfairly trash the G37, I don't want the same thing to happen here about the 335i.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:04 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i think many of the bimmer owners are just a little shocked. BMW has been the king as far as luxury+performance+price is concerned for quite some time. there seems to be some anamosity when a "jap POS" company like Lexus or Infiniti is now gaining some ground. i don't understand it. it will only push BMW to be better along with the other companies. and we as the consumers are the better for it. i never quite understood being so loyal to a badge or percieved "german engineering". the germans make fine cars yes, but so do italians, japanese, etc.

btw-if you ever search for the term "jap POS" on a bimmer forum...your computer will literally explode...lol! j/k.

as far as i'm concerned i love the 335i as well as my G37S.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 PM
EJ2000

Good post.

There are many users on those forums who post that way about japanese cars, american cars, or anything cheaper than their "german engineering". It is nice to see that not all of the members are that way, as some see that the competition between Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lexus, and MB is producing some very capable sport coupes/sedans, with each manufacturer really growing into their own niche within the market. In each generation, the cars become faster, better handling, better looking, and have more features. Without that intense competition, the segment would stagnate a little. Personally, I was deciding between the G37 and 335i because I value strong performance, visual appeal, tech features, and value itself. To me, the G really set itself apart in the latter 3 categories.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Brent72

Originally Posted by EJ2000
On e90post they unfairly trash the G37, I don't want the same thing to happen here about the 335i.

That's because they're so insecure about real competition that the only thing they can do is put down the G to make themselves feel better.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:35 PM
05Scoobyroo

I'm just happy that the guy who responded about the way the car drives actually makes up the 2% of BMW owners thats not a fanboy.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:00 PM
stinger44

Originally Posted by S6MT
Did you hear the the 335i, even with the Sport package, has an open differential - no limited slip? Several tests say it's constantly trying to spin one rear tire and on the traction control, especially in the rain. That seems inexcusable to me...
Not true. Dynamic Stability Control performs very similarly to Infiniti's VDC.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 PM
S6MT

Motor Trend Quote: ...the fact that BMW offers no mechanical limited-slip device on the 335i (it's standard on the G37), and you get a lot of DSC intervention on corner exits in the rain, however gently you squeeze the go-pedal.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...i_g37_bmw_335/
Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 PM
S6MT

How about this quote from a company selling a limited slip unit to 335i owners?

"Have you taken your 335i to the track yet? Have you turned off traction control and tried to launch your 335i? Imagine how fast your car would go 0-60mph if both wheels had power going to them! Its unbelievable that such a great performance car is lacking a limited slip -- perhaps BMW didn't want the 335i to be THAT much faster that an M3! BMW stopped putting limited slip differentials in all cars in 1995 (except for “M” cars). So, if it’s not an M3 or M5 your car does not have power going to BOTH wheels at the same time. In other words, it is “one wheel drive.” This is not good for any type of performance car and if you have taken your car to the track or have auto crossed it you can see why."

I guess for $3,700 plus installation you can get the standard equipment of the G37...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...=100-100-00008
Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 PM
cvt

i think this was one of the key things aout the 335i...with as much as the G37had to offer i was on the fence about the G37 and 335i...that just goes to show what a great car the 335i is.

had the 335i come with LSD and firmer suspension with less roll...no question...i'd be a 335i owner right now.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:44 AM
stinger44

Slip

Originally Posted by S6MT
Motor Trend Quote: ...the fact that BMW offers no mechanical limited-slip device on the 335i (it's standard on the G37), and you get a lot of DSC intervention on corner exits in the rain, however gently you squeeze the go-pedal.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...i_g37_bmw_335/
True, the 335i does not have a mechanical LSD (and I don't understand why it's not standard). My point was that slip is compensated by DSC and DTS on the 335i much like VDC in the G35/37 by cutting power and/or applying brakes in a slip differential condition.

BTW, an open differential applies the same torque to the rear wheels in a good traction situation so the piece about the BMW being a "one wheel drive" car is an exaggeration by a company that wants to sell something.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:49 AM
stinger44

Tough Choice

Originally Posted by cvt
i think this was one of the key things aout the 335i...with as much as the G37had to offer i was on the fence about the G37 and 335i...that just goes to show what a great car the 335i is.
Like you, I really wrestled with the G37 vs the 335i and it was painful because of how good both cars are. The deciding factor for me was almost purely the disappointing redesign of the G37 exterior IMO. I guess I was expecting more so I ordered the 335i. The G37 is still a beautiful car though.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 AM
cvt

Originally Posted by stinger44
Like you, I really wrestled with the G37 vs the 335i and it was painful because of how good both cars are. The deciding factor for me was almost purely the disappointing redesign of the G37 exterior IMO. I guess I was expecting more so I ordered the 335i. The G37 is still a beautiful car though.
+1 these cars are so great....yet so different! we are really living in an era of great cars (too bad gas prices are so high, lol).

you've got a high reving, high rpm frenzied freeway puller that's both street and track compliant with all the techno gadgets you want on the G37S...

...and on the other side of the spectrum you have a tourqey silent killer that leaves more room for power at reasonable prices plus with great handling and all the luxuries amenties that make you feel like a king in the 335i.

definate opposites in approach but also very comparable....
Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 AM
EJ2000

True, the 335i does not have a mechanical LSD (and I don't understand why it's not standard). My point was that slip is compensated by DSC and DTS on the 335i much like VDC in the G35/37 by cutting power and/or applying brakes in a slip differential condition.

BTW, an open differential applies the same torque to the rear wheels in a good traction situation so the piece about the BMW being a "one wheel drive" car is an exaggeration by a company that wants to sell something.
That's what I was thinking. When all is said and done, even without the LSD, the 335i handles nearly as well as the G37 does. Any company that wants you to buy an LSD is really going to play up how badly it needs it.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 AM
EJ2000

I had a tough decision as well! If I was solely looking for performance, I would be riding in a black/black e92 335i with PROcede right now. However, I was happy with the redesign of the G37, I think it's a stellar car - plus with all the tech (I'm an engineer) and value of it, I had made my decision. Both cars certainly have my respect, though!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 AM
S6MT

Yeah, why would a 300 HP twin turbo car need a limited-slip differential? Give me a break...

Quick Reply: bimmer guy tracked G37