Sponsored By:

g37 black / black or g35 black / black

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:19 AM
g37blackonblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question g37 black / black or g35 black / black

All,

I have been stressing about which model I want to pick up. After test driving [an automatic 2007 g35, 6mt g35, and an auto g37], I'm dead set on a 6MT obsidian black coupe with the graphite interior. So far the 6 speed manual g35 was my favorite, as its ride was the most sporty as I could really feel the road and control my speed. All of the vehicles held the road impressively. The g37 automatic wasn't quite as exciting of a ride to me, but I'm sure once some 6MT's arrive I will change my opinion to some degree. The fact that I'm going to buy a G coupe is certain, but I have some doubts about which type I'm going to get.

The new interior and specs are really tempting in the g37, however I'm pretty sure I prefer the sharper edges on the exterior of the g35. I'm in my early 20's and after graduating and getting my first real job, I want a fast and sporty car. Outside of the g coupes I have not seen any comparably nice looking and powerful cars in the same price bracket.

One issue I'm having is that I'm having a heck of a time finding a properly configured new 2007 g35 - they seem to be selling out. I do not really want a used g35. The perfectly loaded black g37 will arrive at a dealer nearby very soon, and I have placed a temporary holding check to make sure that I have the first crack at it.

Have any of you compared black g35's & g37's side by side? Do you think it would be easier to modify the body of the g37 to make it look more appealing to me, or would it be more practical to modify the interior of the g35? The blue lighting, the rear view camera and navigation integration are pretty appealing in the 37. Has the g37 body style honestly grown on you guys? If so, does black seem to be one of the better colors for this body style?

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
a future g35 or g37 owner
Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I traded in a G35 for a G37 mainly because of the refinement difference. But it sounds like you are going more for sporty than anything. I personally like the G37 styling better than the G35 and the interior blows it away. Not sure how you would modify to exterior. If you don't like the overall lines, there ain't much you can do to change that. Same with the interior...trying to get the same level of amenities, guages, ergonomics, dash layout of the G37 in a G35 would seem pretty hard and expensive to do.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:17 AM
07BlackG35Stud

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's evident that one car or the other is just a matter of taste. I have an 07 G35 6mt black obsidian and I couldn't be any happier! I love this car, and when the G37 made its appearance, I was a step away from a trade; but it only took a look at the rear of the new car to make me realize how much I like my car. Yes, the front on the new car has a higher degree of aggressiveness to it, however, it seems like they didn't manage to match that front with a decent rear, or sides for that matter. I'm not a big fan of the bubblier look either; the sharp, more defined lines on the G35 are more appealing to my eye.

If what you're looking for is the extra 30hp and a more refined interior, then sure, the G37 is for you; but if you're going for the sporty feel, the G35 is the way to go. There's more connection between the driver and the car with the G35, whereas the G37 filters out most of the sporty feel. In addition, there are trade offs to both cars - for instance, the upgraded brakes on the G37 seem more appealing, yet the car is heavier than its predecessor and went farther away from a 50/50 weight distribution; the results being a car with slightly better brakes but with less handling ability/neutrality.

Those are my $0.02 on the comparison good luck with your decision!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
In the end, it is your decision. Personally, I prefer the looks of the G37, I think that it looks more put together and more agrresive than the G35. It sounds like you might want something that is a little more of a pure sports car, so you may need to look at other options. Good luck in making your decison man, either way, I am sure you will be happy in the end!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud
the results being a car with slightly better brakes but with less handling ability/neutrality.
I have to disagree with that one to a small degree. Although you are correct regarding the distribution of weight, the handling ability of the G37 is better than the G35. And the quiet more stable nature of the chasis on the G37- to me -inspires more confidence in it's abilities.

I feel like the g37 is an overall improvement to the G35.
The G35 is still a great car, I just think that the G37 is a better one.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM
stefanzo911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In all logic it's expected the new G37 is an improvement over the original G35 however if you drive both, you'll notice the "less-connected-to-the-road feel" of the new G37 as in driving a Lexus.
I have nothing against Lexus and how their cars drive but Infiniti has shifted their attention to refinement and luxury to the detriment of driving fun. IMO.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

The G37 chassis is something like 33% stiffer too.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 AM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only way you can decide is to see and test out both of them yourself in person. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 AM
InfinitiFreak

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I have to disagree with that one to a small degree. Although you are correct regarding the distribution of weight, the handling ability of the G37 is better than the G35. And the quiet more stable nature of the chasis on the G37- to me -inspires more confidence in it's abilities.

I agree with that!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:14 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by g37blackonblack
All,

I have been stressing about which model I want to pick up. After test driving [an automatic 2007 g35, 6mt g35, and an auto g37], I'm dead set on a 6MT obsidian black coupe with the graphite interior. So far the 6 speed manual g35 was my favorite, as its ride was the most sporty as I could really feel the road and control my speed. All of the vehicles held the road impressively. The g37 automatic wasn't quite as exciting of a ride to me, but I'm sure once some 6MT's arrive I will change my opinion to some degree. The fact that I'm going to buy a G coupe is certain, but I have some doubts about which type I'm going to get.

The new interior and specs are really tempting in the g37, however I'm pretty sure I prefer the sharper edges on the exterior of the g35. I'm in my early 20's and after graduating and getting my first real job, I want a fast and sporty car. Outside of the g coupes I have not seen any comparably nice looking and powerful cars in the same price bracket.

One issue I'm having is that I'm having a heck of a time finding a properly configured new 2007 g35 - they seem to be selling out. I do not really want a used g35. The perfectly loaded black g37 will arrive at a dealer nearby very soon, and I have placed a temporary holding check to make sure that I have the first crack at it.

Have any of you compared black g35's & g37's side by side? Do you think it would be easier to modify the body of the g37 to make it look more appealing to me, or would it be more practical to modify the interior of the g35? The blue lighting, the rear view camera and navigation integration are pretty appealing in the 37. Has the g37 body style honestly grown on you guys? If so, does black seem to be one of the better colors for this body style?

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
a future g35 or g37 owner

I was debating between a '07 G35C and the G37. And right now, I'm now pretty much dead set on getting a G37. Newer, more power, and refined. The body style has GROWN on me, from all the pics I've seen here. I've seen it in person but from 40 feet away when I'm passing by the dealer's lot. Just wait until the MOD GODS reign their blessings on this car.
BTW, my friend recently got a '07 G35c black/black last June. He now wants to kick himself in the ***.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM

I agree with the fact that it is an improved product, otherwise it wouldn't be "the new G coupe." However, as stefanzo911 mentioned, the driving fun offered by the G35 is just not there anymore. Contrasting this car to a Lexus hits the nail right on the head. I don't consider the G37 to be a failure at all, but they took things away that many driving enthusiasts would expect to be there. In my honest opinion, it would be wise to wait at least 1-2 years until Infiniti realizes that certain things should have just been left in place, and hopefully they'll make up for the lack of them. If they continue "refining" this car by filtering out its sporty properties, the target audience of the car will shift over to a more mature crowd.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
InfinitiFreak

Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud
If they continue "refining" this car by filtering out its sporty properties, the target audience of the car will shift over to a more mature crowd.
The target audience for the car is older mature people, there was a video saying the average buyer would be like 45 or something, so they are getting the audience that they are targeting, and then some, as I am no where near that, LOL!! If the car is not for you, then it is just not for you, no big deal, lots of other automakers to choose from.

Last edited by InfinitiFreak; 08-31-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

"Driving enthusiasts" make a very small percentage of G buyers. Infiniti is in the business to make money so they need to make sure the car appeals to the broadest range of people as possible.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by Callaway
"Driving enthusiasts" make a very small percentage of G buyers. Infiniti is in the business to make money so they need to make sure the car appeals to the broadest range of people as possible.
I would completely disagree with that. Please refer to the G35 forum, and search for the thread that inquires driver age and profession. A few months back I would have agreed with your statement, however, after reading that thread I was surprised to see that the majority of the G35 drivers are sports car enthusiasts in the low to mid 20's.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:45 AM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
The target audience for the car is older mature people, there was a video saying the average buyer would be like 45 or something, so they are getting the audience that they are targeting, and then some, as I am no where near that, LOL!! If the car is not for you, then it is just not for you, no big deal, lots of other automakers to choose from.
As I previously implied/stated, I'm not bashing on the new car at all. The owner of this thread asked for advise and insight on the new car versus the old one, and that is my opinion on it. I'm sure whatever his final decision is, it will be wise according to his wants and needs.

Quick Reply: g37 black / black or g35 black / black