Sponsored By:

Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire

Is it true that there's a spare wheel under the trunk of all Gs? If so... then wouldn't the spare wheel weigh down the car? I always wonder why all Gs have such small trunks compared to other vehicles in the same class.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:51 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i think there's a donut at the bottom of the trunk under the mat. don't quote me though.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Comatose

Unless a car is equipped with run-flats (which the G isn't), I believe spares are standard..
Old 06-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by Comatose
Unless a car is equipped with run-flats (which the G isn't), I believe spares are standard..
Oh ok. Well I just talked with Chris from Infiniti and he said that he doesn't even keep the spare in the trunk of his G. He said that it's really not needed with the road side assistance. According to him, there is a lot more trunk space without the tire and a lot of weight is reduced. I wonder how much the car would weigh without the extra tire.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:36 PM
finagle69

roughly 40lbs with spare and all equipment?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by finagle69
roughly 40lbs with spare and all equipment?
Hey that's half of Nicole Richie!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:49 PM
N50

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Hey that's half of Nicole Richie!
LMAO!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:55 PM
finagle69

it's about 2/3 of the "Bad Olsen"
Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

Oh ok. Well I just talked with Chris from Infiniti and he said that he doesn't even keep the spare in the trunk of his G. He said that it's really not needed with the road side assistance. According to him, there is a lot more trunk space without the tire and a lot of weight is reduced. I wonder how much the car would weigh without the extra tire.
I guess you mean "Nancy" from Infiniti.. What bozo loses their spare tire because they can rely on roadside assistance? Learn how to freaking change a tire dude. I can change mine on my Maxima in under 4 minutes. Roadside assistance should be reserved for drivers who are responsible.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 AM
G37Knight

Instead of losing the spare, lose the spare from your waist!

Hit the gym and weights One of the easiest and free mods.

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
I guess you mean "Nancy" from Infiniti.. What bozo loses their spare tire because they can rely on roadside assistance? Learn how to freaking change a tire dude. I can change mine on my Maxima in under 4 minutes. Roadside assistance should be reserved for drivers who are responsible.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

My C32 AMG came with no spare for less weight. A can of fix-a-flat and a small airpump were supposed to get you back on your way. Thank G I never had a flat in that thing, but removing the spare is definately an option to remove weight. Just throw it back in on longer trips for security.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
Thing is he has NEVER needed the spare tire, so that's why he never keeps one in his trunk. Please don't insult Chris... he is a really cool guy. Also... not everyone wants to change a tire on the side of a street. I personally wouldn't want to change a tire and I also have no idea how to. Don't criticize the people who would rather just use the roadside assistance than changing a spare tire. I like having my trunk space also since the actual trunk is tiny!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:52 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

Please don't insult Chris... he is a really cool guy. Also... not everyone wants to change a tire on the side of a street. I personally wouldn't want to change a tire and I also have no idea how to. Don't criticize the people who would rather just use the roadside assistance than changing a spare tire. I like having my trunk space also since the actual trunk is tiny!
He may be cool and you may be too but imo if you can't change a tire you SHOULD NOT be allowed to drive.. I don't know how you got your license - maintenance is taught and required to get a license in my state(Texas) and imo the requirements to drive should be much more difficult.

If you choose to ignore this essential yet extremely easy responsibility then shame on you.

Oh an btw, 10 years ago when she was 84 my grandmother got a flat and changed it herself.. Nancy can't even hang with an old lady..?

My guess is you are from Seattle or California..
Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Yep I'm from California. What does Seattle have to do with it? lol In California... you don't have to know any maintenance in getting your driver's license. So we're coming from two different sides... you were forced to know how to change a tire and I was forced to ONLY know how to drive.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thing is he has NEVER needed the spare tire, so that's why he never keeps one in his trunk. Please don't insult Chris... he is a really cool guy. Also... not everyone wants to change a tire on the side of a street. I personally wouldn't want to change a tire and I also have no idea how to. Don't criticize the people who would rather just use the roadside assistance than changing a spare tire. I like having my trunk space also since the actual trunk is tiny!
I have had a driver's license for 40 years. Since I spent some of those as an over the road truck driver, I estimate I have easily driven over 1,000,000 street miles. In all that time, I can only recall one blowout (and, it was a snow tire that was being driven too fast on a clean interstate). And, modern tires are easily drivable with slow leaks from nail punctures. (I once drove straight from San Francisco to Phoenix with an embedded nail slow leak. I just made sure I had plenty of air before I left.) But, I would never drive without a spare. One reason I cancelled a 335i order was I could not stand the RFT's and I will not drive without a spare. Only an unprepared fool will drive without planning for a tire emergency.

BTW, if you get a flat and do not have a spare, what do you expect roadside assistance to do? You call them and tell them you have a flat. They do not ask if you have a spare, because they assume you have one. They get out and find you do not have a spare. Then, they call for a flat bed, but at your expense because your car requires a spare tire to be road worthy according to your state's requirements and you do not have one. If you tell them up front you do not have a spare, you still have to pay for the tow because you removed an essential safety item. So, you waste a good 4 hours getting your car flatbedded to a tire shop, and you have to pay for the tow.

If you are that concerned about trunk space, and, yes, I think the G37's trunk is smaller than it need be, buy a car with a bigger trunk. People who try and change what they have into something else are just south of smart when they could have bought that something else in the first place.

Last edited by dmkozak; 06-26-2007 at 10:26 AM.