Sponsored By:

Auto or 6MT??? (opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stefanzo911
German cars are overpriced - service repairs overpriced, reliability: questionable, not my opinion, facts. If I hurt some feelings, sorry but the truth need to come out. I don't hate Bimmers or Benz, I think most people overestimate their value and reliability. Sure they look good but with more and more competition and problems piling up, they are selling less. They appear more and more mundane to the car buff who knows value when he sees it.
You can't state BMWs are overpriced as "fact". Overpriced is a term that is completely subjective. While some people think they are overpriced, others think that they are worth every penny!. As for reliability, the last JD Power & Associates ratings I saw BMW was right up there with Infiniti.

Anyways, back on topic......choosing between a 5AT and the 6MT.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Initial G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, according to JD Powers...Hyundai is number 2 or three. Ranked behind Porsche and some other car brand (not infiniti or BMW). They were also ahead of Toyota, Honda, and Lexus. Watch for the Tiburons in your rear view mirror!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:24 AM
volsfan0911

Originally Posted by Initial G
Well, according to JD Powers...Hyundai is number 2 or three. Ranked behind Porsche and some other car brand (not infiniti or BMW). They were also ahead of Toyota, Honda, and Lexus. Watch for the Tiburons in your rear view mirror!
2006 Initial Quality Survey - Hyundai & BMW 4 stars, Infiniti & Porsche 3 stars. Current N54 motors (335i twin turbo engine) known for high pressure fuel pump failures, oil sensor failures (N54 = $14,000 replacement thanks to lack of a $3 dipstick) and possible overheating/supplemental oil cooler not being standard equipment out of the box (excessive bean counting by BMWNA? Bangled hood with insufficient cooling area in the name of design? Crappy design/bad hot weather testing and R&D by the engineers? who knows?). Anyway - point of all this is Porsche isn't the end all - be all of automotive design and Hyundai has been doing a lot of things right lately. Loved a G35 rental for two weeks recently. Sunroof bellows fell off in my lap the next to last day with it. Parting gift? I'm on my 3rd Honda Accord - first two went 200k and 248k respectively with zero major mechanical defects. Not as fun to drive as a G (and I'm in the market for a G37) but just my personal experience..................

oh - and back to the original topic. I would never buy a slushbox - personal preference and traffic be damned. Lived in Jersey for a few years (commuting on the Garden State Parkinglot) and currently get to go play in DC traffic and that lovely stretch of driving hell known as the Outer Loop/DC beltway/I-495 and I-95 going around and down to Richmond. So I can speak with some authority on traffic. Other than my surgically repaired left knee complaining sometimes, I've never regretted owning a manual. Just being stupid enough to hit DC rush hour and not leaving at 5:00 am instead!...

Last edited by volsfan0911; 05-24-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
You can't state BMWs are overpriced as "fact". Overpriced is a term that is completely subjective. While some people think they are overpriced, others think that they are worth every penny!. As for reliability, the last JD Power & Associates ratings I saw BMW was right up there with Infiniti.

Anyways, back on topic......choosing between a 5AT and the 6MT.
I agree that "overpriced" is subjective. I still think if you broke the car down to what you get for the money, it's not a hard argument to make. Compared to cars in it's class, they nickel and dime you to death. And for every thing it does good, it has an equal flaw.

In terms of reliability - I don't need a JD power survey to explain reliability to me. Most BMW owners are so protective of their cars that it wouldn't surprise me that an owner survey by BMW owners would come back positive. I live reliability day in and day out. EVERY owner of a BMW that I know has had multiple electronic and mechanical issues with their car. They ALL admit the cars are not reliable. The only people I hear that swear they are reliable are people on BMW forums. This is not about the one or 2 people that have had good luck with their BMWs. On average, you will have better reliability with the G than you will have with the BMW. Of course, there are G's with problems - but on average the BMWs will have more issues. This is not me being biased - I am still considering the BMW, but I know what I am getting myself into.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:51 PM
stefanzo911

Originally Posted by muscarel
I agree that "overpriced" is subjective. I still think if you broke the car down to what you get for the money, it's not a hard argument to make. Compared to cars in it's class, they nickel and dime you to death. And for every thing it does good, it has an equal flaw.

In terms of reliability - I don't need a JD power survey to explain reliability to me. Most BMW owners are so protective of their cars that it wouldn't surprise me that an owner survey by BMW owners would come back positive. I live reliability day in and day out. EVERY owner of a BMW that I know has had multiple electronic and mechanical issues with their car. They ALL admit the cars are not reliable. The only people I hear that swear they are reliable are people on BMW forums. This is not about the one or 2 people that have had good luck with their BMWs. On average, you will have better reliability with the G than you will have with the BMW. Of course, there are G's with problems - but on average the BMWs will have more issues. This is not me being biased - I am still considering the BMW, but I know what I am getting myself into.
Good Point! I got my opinions from my own experience and friends BMW owners many of them say they will never get another one for good reasons. Cost of ownership is high with the headache factor of electronic components failing without warnings. Benz have similar issues. Buyer Beware! Of course Bentleys have none of those!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:41 PM
wyatthanson

Even if the BMW isn't quite as reliable... Their warranty will last over 3 years which is longer than I'll keep the car, and their leases include all maintenance such as oil changes and window wipers. If the car has to go in for an iDrive update or some other minor thing, I don't really care... We get loaners!
The engines aren't blowing up, the comfort access keys aren't dying, the wheels aren't falling off... BMW service is outstanding, IMO (I used to work at my local BMW Service Dept, actually!!!).
Old 05-24-2007, 06:05 PM
CalRSX07

6MT is definitely more fun. but you can't turn it off... if traffic sucks, you're stuck and frustrated.

i used to like stick better because you have more control and better performance... but that's starting to not be true anymore.

my last two cars (including the G i own) have been stick... but my next car will be auto. just as fast without requiring as much effort when you aren't in the mood to drive like a boy-racer, and i drive 80 miles a day. as others said, it's a personal choice. i'm sure i'll buy a stick again at some point, but my next car will be auto because i'm ready for some speed without the effort. sure, i'll miss the 6MT on the twisties... but it's fine because I know I won't really be losing performance.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 PM
DropTopGal

Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM
NXT

There's a saying in the bimmer world, why keep a bmw after warranty. And that explains my point. Why do u think most m3 owners just end up selling there cars after warranty is up? They know it's not worth it.

Bimmers have great deals on leases. And if your gonna buy a bmw i think that's the smart way to go.

Unless your a bmw badge *****, alot of bmw owners will tell you, bmw's are not all that reliable, but also they don't mind as long as they can get the driving experience. And after there extended warranty is up they'll buy anew.

I forgot which article it was on, but it could be from Automobile magazine they stated the bmw having numerous reliability concerns.

Bmw are great cars, but if you want to buy a new car everytime the extended warranty is up go right ahead. In the long run that is not the smart way to go. POCKET WISE.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:44 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jnmunsey
They are retarded for buying a $45,000 RWD sports sedan that doesn't have LSD. That's such an insignificant cost that it completely blows my mind why it is missing. The apparent reason for its absence is insulting too: to not cut into M3 sales? Come on BMW, that just pisses me off even more. I'll take my business elsewhere.
That is NOT the reason no LSD is available for the 335i. That is nothing more than i-net speculation. The real reason, at least according to BMW, is that BMW does not have a LSD transaxle which will work/fit in the 335i. All the available LSD's which can fit are not able to handle the 335i's hp/torque. All the available LSD's which can handle the 335i's hp/torque can not fit.

BMW has working on an electronic LSD which will both work and fit. But, the last I heard, about six months ago, was this is not even close to being ready, and most of the engineers are being moved to other jobs. Apparently, the car sells well enough that BMW can postpone this electronic LSD a while.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
volsfan0911

Originally Posted by dmkozak
That is NOT the reason no LSD is available for the 335i. That is nothing more than i-net speculation. The real reason, at least according to BMW, is that BMW does not have a LSD transaxle which will work/fit in the 335i. All the available LSD's which can fit are not able to handle the 335i's hp/torque. All the available LSD's which can handle the 335i's hp/torque can not fit.

BMW has working on an electronic LSD which will both work and fit. But, the last I heard, about six months ago, was this is not even close to being ready, and most of the engineers are being moved to other jobs. Apparently, the car sells well enough that BMW can postpone this electronic LSD a while.
Is the E92 M3 going to have one? Hell of a lot more than 300 ponies and 300 lb/ft. of torque there............
Old 05-25-2007, 05:44 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

That's why I wrote "apparent". If what you state is the real reason, that is just as nuts. They built a car but mucked up the design so much they couldn't fit in a usable LSD? LOL what idiots!

Also 300+ HP/torque is not that much and LSD has been offered in production cars since the 50s, maybe sooner. Apparently BMW is a bit less competent in certain areas than they used to be.

If it had LSD I would seriously be considering the 335i. For now the ONLY reason I haven't checked it out is LSD's omission. Perhaps they will have it in there for MY2008? Oh wait, duh it takes more than a year to make an LSD??? Come on those Germans have been eating too many Brats..

Originally Posted by dmkozak

Old 05-25-2007, 05:51 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

For me at least a stick makes me a much better driver. It forces the driver to pay attention.

An Aussie friend of mine was impressed that I drove a Maxima MT. He said good drivers drive stick. Several of my Euro friends also said more or less the same thing. Their outlook on driving is different though. They enjoy driving and treat it as an experience rather than a luxury/leisure time..

I agree with the above. I actually use my cup holders for coins and stuff and never drinks(I put my beer between my legs like my Dad ). I also don't use cell phones in the car, and actually have a jammer turned on most of the time with a range of about a 30 meter radius. Trouble is the morons who it affects actually start fiddling with their phones when they get near me..

Originally Posted by CalRSX07
my last two cars (including the G i own) have been stick... but my next car will be auto. just as fast without requiring as much effort when you aren't in the mood to drive like a boy-racer, and i drive 80 miles a day. as others said, it's a personal choice. i'm sure i'll buy a stick again at some point, but my next car will be auto because i'm ready for some speed without the effort. sure, i'll miss the 6MT on the twisties... but it's fine because I know I won't really be losing performance.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, please keep this thread on topic.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:59 AM
GT-Ron

I'd really like to see more '07 AT guys giving their opinion.

My main gripes about an AT, an thus my preference for MT, have always been with the AT's (in general) inability to hold a gear and upshifting instead. Likewise, I hate looking for the next lower gear and tipping into the throttle a bit too much and getting a double-downshift when it's not beneficial or wanted.

But the G's manumatic AT should allow driver control over these areas when in manumatic mode. Is this, in fact, the case with you AT owners?

I hope the changes to the G37's 6MT/Clutch prove wonderful, even if it will make my choice harder. But I'm really ready to try the AT. I'll have to test both, if possible.

Quick Reply: Auto or 6MT??? (opinions)