G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Auto or 6MT??? (opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
stefanzo911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convenience vs. driving fun. Paddles are a good compromise but can't quite replace a manual transmission. Traditionally GT car drivers favor a stick.

All my vehicles are stick but I rarely sit in traffic, it's just a personal preference. What transmission type do you enjoy more?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I was going to go 6MT this time until I saw tht there is the option for paddle shifters. It just seems like such a cool option. In addition a dyno comparison of the MT and Auto Sedan showed only a difference of 2 HP at peak (in 6MT's favor). The gear ratios are pretty close between the MT and AT from 1st to 3rd gear. It looks like the 6MT will have an advantage in 4th gear though.
The AT also comes with a high stall TC. Off the line in manual mode in the '07 Sedan is pretty amazing. It feels like you have slipped/droped the clutch in a MT. I would image it will be even more fun in the coupe with the HR.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM
muscarel

It's just a matter of time before all autos are faster than their manual counterparts. I still wouldn't get one. It doesn't seem right to have a car like the G37 and have an auto. That being said it's not high on the importance list for many people, so if you are asking the question, you probably will not miss shifting for yourself.

To Shaybly - The F1 cars use the paddles because it gets them around the track faster. That has nothing to do with a person driving his/her personal car for his/her driving pleasure. The F1 drivers do not use paddles because of the satisfaction or fun that it provides. If you plan on using this car for the track AND it uses a similar quick-shifting system, then I understand. That's not the case for most people.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Sukairain

Sample questions:

That depends, when you have a free weekend, do you

a) Go to a basketball/football game and scream your lungs out.

b) Go to a ballad and sip fruit flavored imported wines

When you approaches a freeway onramp do you

a) Heel Toe rev-match downshift, trail brake, wait for the apex, and then push in the throttle while rotating your steering wheel to counter steer.

b) Slow down below the speed limit just in case God forbid there is a baby lying on the asphalt right around the corner.

When you sit in bumper to bumper traffic do you

a) Rev at random motorists to scare them into letting you cut them off.

b) Talking on the cellphone with one hand, putting on make up with the other and have a Supreme nacho on the passenger seat and salsa dip in the cup holder.

Just a taste of things to come in the coming 2 years on the G37 forum. I'd pick the 6MT just to avoid all the name calling. In the end, just buy whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:19 PM
tkbr0wn

Originally Posted by muscarel
To Shaybly - The F1 cars use the paddles because it gets them around the track faster. That has nothing to do with a person driving his/her personal car for his/her driving pleasure. The F1 drivers do not use paddles because of the satisfaction or fun that it provides. If you plan on using this car for the track AND it uses a similar quick-shifting system, then I understand. That's not the case for most people.
And the reason it gets them around the track faster is that the shifts are almost seamless. If you guys ever get a chance to see a Formula 1 race, I would highly reccomend it. The cars sound amazing (TV does not do it justice). They sound like the are going to explode at the end of the straights. I have been to the US Grand Prix the last two years and it is awesome, although Indianapolis is a crappy city to visit. I am planning on either the Canadian Grand Prix or Brazillian Grand Prix next year.

I would go paddle shifters in a semi-auto system(SMG, F1, Ferraris, etc...) but I could never bring myself to getting an auto.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Sukairain
Sample questions:

That depends, when you have a free weekend, do you

a) Go to a basketball/football game and scream your lungs out.

b) Go to a ballad and sip fruit flavored imported wines

When you approaches a freeway onramp do you

a) Heel Toe rev-match downshift, trail brake, wait for the apex, and then push in the throttle while rotating your steering wheel to counter steer.

b) Slow down below the speed limit just in case God forbid there is a baby lying on the asphalt right around the corner.

When you sit in bumper to bumper traffic do you

a) Rev at random motorists to scare them into letting you cut them off.

b) Talking on the cellphone with one hand, putting on make up with the other and have a Supreme nacho on the passenger seat and salsa dip in the cup holder.

Just a taste of things to come in the coming 2 years on the G37 forum. I'd pick the 6MT just to avoid all the name calling. In the end, just buy whatever you feel comfortable with.

None of that makes any sense as regards a preference of a transmission. Just because someone drives an auto or MT doesn't mean that they prefer any of the above.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
DropTopGal

The MT is always a bit more "fun" to drive, although it can be tedious in traffic. I am going with the 5AT for one main reason--> Nissan / Infiniti 6MT clutch has a high release and the shifter is to notchy. Even with the "improved" clutch, I doubt it will come close to refined clutch/shifting that is silky smooth on other makes.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
swordsman54

Just remember, dont let anyone make the final decision for you on which transmission to get. Also, dont succumb to peer pressure to get one of the two. I am personally going to get a 5AT because its easier. When you want to drive more agressive, there is always the paddle shifters...
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
stefanzo911

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
The MT is always a bit more "fun" to drive, although it can be tedious in traffic. I am going with the 5AT for one main reason--> Nissan / Infiniti 6MT clutch has a high release and the shifter is to notchy. Even with the "improved" clutch, I doubt it will come close to refined clutch/shifting that is silky smooth on other makes.
I don't agree with the "high release" and "notchy shifter" statement, from (extensive) experience driving many makes, the 6MT on the G has a very good system compared to more conventional 5-speed manual transmissions, the short-throw shifter is a blast to drive, the clutch is NOT long-throw.
Get your facts straight. Nothing wrong with the 6MT, on the contrary!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
BadBoy06

I have paddles on my Pontiac GP (Comp G package) but then again
its a totally different car. you got to drive them and feel them. sometimes
I sit in traffic and sometimes I whine out the gears to past time
Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 PM
DropTopGal

Originally Posted by stefanzo911
I don't agree with the "high release" and "notchy shifter" statement, from (extensive) experience driving many makes, the 6MT on the G has a very good system compared to more conventional 5-speed manual transmissions, the short-throw shifter is a blast to drive, the clutch is NOT long-throw.
Get your facts straight. Nothing wrong with the 6MT, on the contrary!
With in the past 2 weeks, I drove an 07 G35C and 335i, both manual. The G35 and the 350Z DOES have a high clutch release and a notchy shifter when compared to the 335i and is considerably less smooth/refined than the S2000. Other G35 and 350Z owners have contributed to several threads related to the 6MT clutch and shifting. Heck, the 350Z guys even have a home fix for the clutch high release. This does not mean that there is something "wrong" with the 6MT, rather, it is not as refined as other manuals. Get my facts straight...take a hike...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:31 PM
muscarel

My 6mt was far from perfect but it wasn't so bad that I would buy an automatic over it. If I hated it that much, I would just buy another car - not settle on an auto (for me) for a sporty coupe.

I hear people complain about take-up, etc, but I never noticed it. I drove the car well from the day I got it. I did drive a 335 recently and noticed that the clutch take up was very high. I'm not sure if the 07 sedan is like that as well.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
muscarel

With in the past 2 weeks, I drove an 07 G35C and 335i, both manual. The G35 and the 350Z DOES have a high clutch release and a notchy shifter when compared to the 335i and is considerably less smooth/refined than the S2000. Other G35 and 350Z owners have contributed to several threads related to the 6MT clutch and shifting. Heck, the 350Z guys even have a home fix for the clutch high release. This does not mean that there is something "wrong" with the 6MT, rather, it is not as refined as other manuals. Get my facts straight...take a hike...
I didn't realize the 350z guys have a way to shorten up the high release. My friend has a 325 and has installed a device to shorten his up as well. He tells me it is very common in the 3-series. It is definitely higehr than my 04 6mt.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 PM
muscarel

ok, one last post on this. The S2000 definitely has a better shifter than the G (at least my 04). Hondas have manuals licked. I have a 90 accord 5-speed and that runs great as well.

I still can't see how the G's 6-speed could drive a person to switch to an auto, unless driving a manual was never high on their list of things that make driving fun.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 PM
stefanzo911

Seems to me you need a little guidance...Facts: Bimmers are overpriced and troublesome, Hondas are boring even with a smooth shifter, your only real alternative? the G. or if you win the lottery.....You know.

Quick Reply: Auto or 6MT??? (opinions)