Hey, 'vert owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Hey, 'vert owners

I created a sticky in the Newbies forum titled "So you want to buy a G35/G37/Q40" but I am not hip to the common top issues. It would be awesome if y'all could provide a list of common issues specific to the convertible. I've seen "flipper" more than once when I would drop in here. What else?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Fins160
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I have read that the convertible open/close button can fall into the console, but I haven't experienced that one.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:32 AM
John Hannon

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 with 57,000 miles on the clock, no problems with the top at all

Regards
Old 10-12-2018, 10:12 AM
daryn67

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Late model 2010 purchased with 68,000 miles now with 76,000 after a year and a half. No problems with Convertible top and hope it stays that way. I did have a car cover that I had thrown in the back that I forgot about that got caught up in the folds of the roof and the sensors picked up on it as it was supposed to and stopped it from working which was frightening, but relieved it did stop. Otherwise, it could have been a horrific outcome. I was able to slowly pull the cover from out of the folds and the top went back to working properly! You talk about one huge sigh of relief! One other time I had stuff in the back and once again, the sensors did their job and stopped it. Now that fall has finally hit, I look forward to popping the top and take in the cool crisp air and enjoy my ride!

Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I know there are some weak points from the times I've cruised through this forum. I'm surprised only folks who haven't had problems are the members posting.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM
John Hannon

If you fancy one go out and buy one.
If you research any product on the internet and ask about issues people have had with it you would never buy anything.....well that’s my experience, the negatives always come to the front, nothings perfect
The majority of owners never look at forums like this, a small minority look and make a posting when they’ve got an issue....hence why sometimes issues effecting a few owners are thrown out of proportion
We love our vert, best car we’ve ever owned, and we’ve owned a few!!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Julian O.
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2013, 46K miles. No issues at all. I drop the top every chance I get, and have left the top down for as long as a week at a time. As I understand it, some of the more common issues (specifically the plastic flipper gears breaking) were addressed in the later models. I know the gear that actuates the flipper on the 2013 is different from the earlier models, but I'm not sure which year that change was implemented.

I think most of the common issues are just convertible issues, period. I get some rattling every now and again, and sometimes the top lets in a few drops of water. Other than that, I've had a largely trouble-free experience. Top always opens and closes, and I've never had a real leak, even after going through car washes. My last car was an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT, and I had more trouble with that sedan than this convertible.

Trending Topics

Old 10-13-2018, 02:14 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Where do your occassional leaks occur? Header gasket, windows, rear or folds?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Julian O.
Registered Member

Just the driver's side window, near the tweeter. It may just be a function of the windows being frameless.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 AM
Julian O.
Registered Member

*Update* Looks like the vert does leak some. Left the car out while it rained all last night, for the purposes of inspecting in the morning. While the passenger compartment was completely dry, the area under the spare tire was visibly wet. The floor cover and fold-over flap were dry, however. Not sure if this is a common issue or if others have experienced this type of leak, but for the sake of transparency, I wanted to add my findings to the thread.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Cadmandu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We bought a 2012 in January and just love it (we looked for 6-8 months before we found the right one and it was a great purchase, no regrets). our first vert and second G. So much fun to drop the top, so like stated before, if you find the right one and want it, then get it. Can't say there is another hard top vert option out there that looks this good and has this much pep for the money! It's a sporty ride as a sports car should be so that's not a problem, looking to get some new tires soon, it is hard on tires. The only concern on the purchase was the top mechanics, and we are very satisfied. Just know nothing (and I mean nothing) can go in the trunk area where the top folds up, the dealer we purchased from had left the first aide kit in there and it caused a malfunction which took a dealer fix and realignment $250, it only takes once to learn that lesson! One thing my body guy taught me, make sure you keep all the rubber seals and strips for the top lubricated at least a couple times a year to prevent leakage issues and keeping the rubber pliable (he gave me a can of Wurth Rubber Care aerosol), again you have to expect some rattles in the roof as there are some 3000 parts that make it function. Good luck with your choice
Old 11-05-2018, 04:03 PM
b-rad
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadmandu
again you have to expect some rattles in the roof as there are some 3000 parts that make it function. Good luck with your choice
Hi. So I just bought a 2012 Vert, and drove it 1330 miles from PA to home. There were some rattles, it sounds like the large flap that is behind the back seats (between the seats and trunk when open), bounces when driving with the top closed.
Can anyone else confirm if that happens to them also? Is there maybe a boot that's missing or some tightening of bolts or something that would be needed?
It wasn't bad, but when you hit some significant bumps, it's definitely noticeable.
After the 1300 miles drive, I love the car, still getting to know its particulars.
thanks
Old 11-06-2018, 10:40 AM
John Hannon

That doesn’t happen in ours.
If you hit a patch of rough road there are a few rattles and groans....just as you get from any convertible
Give all your seals a good clean and coating of ghummipfledge, that’ll quiet things down
Old 11-11-2018, 10:29 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Julian, where would the leak be if it's wetting the spare?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Julian O.
Registered Member

If I had to guess, I'd say where the rear window panel and trunk lid meet. The floor panel of the trunk is never wet, so maybe it's tracking down the top's arms and pooling under the spare. The area doesn't fill up, but it's definitely more than would be accounted for by condensation or humidity. I'd say about a half-inch or so. The car is normally garaged, but when kept outside, I always remove any leaves, pine needles, or other debris that would normally collect in the drainage channels.
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (11-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Hey, 'vert owners