Advice on g37 vert OGs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 08:45 AM
chubbzg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advice on g37 vert OGs

Hello G37vert owners. The wifes and I anniv is comming up. And shes always wanted a g37 vert but i was only able to afford coupes at the time. I try to just pay cash for cars. Her first was g35 coupe we had no issues it was perfect in everyway .From there we upgraded to a g37 2008 first model coupe. Typical TSBs issues were covered . Never really had any other issues with that beauty. Sadly we had to get rid of it when we found out we were having an addition to the family ( a more expensive mod ) lol. Now that our lil one is almost 4 we think we can all fit comfortable in a g37vert. So i would like to suprise her with her dream vehicle for our anniv. I found a 1 owner clean carfax service every 5kmi, low mileage (45k ) 2010 g37 vert (BASE model) for 15grand from a honda dealership . Obviously no warranty available .nor extended warranty ( unless its 3rd party from my bank) my question is , is it worth to buy this low milage base model vert for 15grand with no warranty nor extended warranty available? Also for those with base base model any regrets ?how it for a family of 3+ for daily use ? And for those vert owmers that ran out of warranty or purchased used with no warranty or how it been financially to fix issues regarding the top or overrall in general. PS .i apologize for any type of i am on my (cell) .
thank you
Semper fi
Old 03-07-2018, 12:16 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
While not a 'vert owner, be aware all VQ36 engines up through 2011 have a ticking time bomb called timing cover rear gasket. It's of poor quality and when it starts leaking, it leaks into the crankcase so there is no external evidence. It causes low oil pressure which, if ignored or misdiagnosed, will ruin the engine. Even when caught early, it's a $3000 repair. Primary symptom is the engine switches to limp mode for no apparent reason. Other things can cause limp mode, so...

Me, I just go about my business. I plan on a few cross-country trips in the coming year or two and participate in the occassional track event. Almost to 50k miles.

Get that extended warranty. The car is otherwise pretty bullet-proof.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Timucin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m looking at a 09 vert Bose/ nav sport package 75k miles 6speed asking 14.5K.. what do you think?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I have never looked at vert pricing. I would just try KBB or Edmund to get a ball park number.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:32 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
I wouldn't get a vert as a DD for a family.. Back seats are a pain to use if the roof is up and I cannot even imagine how you'll try stuffing a kid seat in there..
Timing cover gasket is definitely something to think about, but not everyone has this issue.
I'd also be really careful with getting a vert without warranty; if anything goes wrong with the roof, you'll be out 1000s to fix it.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:55 AM
chubbzg37

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
While not a 'vert owner, be aware all VQ36 engines up through 2011 have a ticking time bomb called timing cover rear gasket. It's of poor quality and when it starts leaking, it leaks into the crankcase so there is no external evidence. It causes low oil pressure which, if ignored or misdiagnosed, will ruin the engine. Even when caught early, it's a $3000 repair. Primary symptom is the engine switches to limp mode for no apparent reason. Other things can cause limp mode, so...

Me, I just go about my business. I plan on a few cross-country trips in the coming year or two and participate in the occassional track event. Almost to 50k miles.

Get that extended warranty. The car is otherwise pretty bullet-proof.
Is this known high rating occurrence among all g37 owners prior to 2012? ,
or only a light few got unlucky ?
Old 03-10-2018, 02:04 AM
chubbzg37

okay thank you for the info on not every one having that issue , is there a time when this does usually occur , ( like when water pump on bmws go out ) should i check it say at 80k etc ?

we do have a acura wagon that will mostly be our family car. BTW we purchased a 2011 vert 70k miles fully loaded with new navigation update ( which is a joke ) with gap and extended warranty for 45kmiles
Old 03-10-2018, 01:21 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Checking the gasket is no different than replacing it. It's rather involved. Dealers typically quote $3,000 or so in labor. Infiniti changed the gasket material for 2012 and later cars and I have yet to hear of them failing.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:18 PM
studman
Florida G35 Club Premier Member

My 2010 vert is in the shop right now, partly because of this. I was performing a regular oil change when I noticed that my engine skid plate was covered in oil. I took it off to find that I had a leak in the liquid gasket of the lower oil pan in the rear. I removed the lower oil pan to clean/reseal it. Once it was reinstalled, I filled it back up with oil and cleaned off the skid plate and subframe. Upon starting of the engine, I noticed oil leaking from the oil pressure sensor area, so I shut the car off.

Upon further investigation, I noticed a hairline crack in my upper oil pan where the oil pressure sensor is. Additionally, the oil pressure sensor was broken into 3 pieces, and the spring located inside it was found in one of the grooves of my skid plate. I figured I could replace the sensor and take it to a shop to weld the hairline crack. That's when the upper pan cracked when I replaced the sensor.

So the car was towed to the shop to get repaired. When they were putting everything back together, they found a piece of gasket material inside the oil pump filter housing. That was my FIRST indication that the seals were gone.

I had no symptoms, no SES/CEL, no limp mode, nothing.

If you have a 2012 or older and are in the 90k+ miles range, it's a matter of time.

To fix it, you have to remove the front cover of the motor. And if you have to do that, you might as well go ahead and replace the water pump, timing chain guides, and potentially the chain itself. The overall job is 8-12 hours of labor, so expect it to be a $1000-2000 job depending on how much your shop charges for labor.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:23 PM
studman
Florida G35 Club Premier Member

As far as the rest of the maintenance, here's what fails:

1) Oil gallery gaskets
2) Concentric Slave Cylinder (6MT only)
3) Rear differential bushings
4) Front lower control arm bushings

The rest of the items that fail are common to all cars with certain age and/or mileage on them.

As far as the top, it's $7000 to replace all the components involved. There are 43 moving pieces in the system. Some are easy fixes, some are not.

That being said, mine is my daily driver. I don't have kids (yet), and anyone over 5' tall may not enjoy sitting in the back. Leg space is at a premium regardless. And if you are 6' tall, then your passengers in the back won't like sitting there at all.

I have no other complaints other than what's listed above. Oh, and I have the sport model 6MT.