Help - post OBDII reset shift lock stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:20 PM
69GTOFarm

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Help - post OBDII reset shift lock stuck

2010 G37 Convertible was showing the SES light. Took to O'Reilley's and read codes. Had several - C1109, P0106 history, permanent & confirmed, P0463 history, pending & confirmed, U0164 history, pending, permanent & confirmed. Cleared OBDII codes with code reader. After reset vehicle shift lock stuck, climate controls won't work, gauges won't respond, radio will play and station memory is still there. Also was getting the Intelligent Key warning light.

I was able to pop out the Shift lock cover and get the vehicle in gear. I could drive home but climate controls, tach, speedometer, odometer did not register. Climate controls still won't work and seat heaters won't come on.

Got vehicle home, attempted ECU reset (multiple procedures so far but no success, probably operator error). I disconnected the battery for about 1/2 hour, pumped brake pedal several times with battery disconnected. Reconnected battery. Now the Intelligent Key warning is gone but shift lock still engaged and climate controls/dash indicators do not show. Vehicle starts and brake lights work.

I'm sure this is all due to the OBDII reset I did but how do I fix or is this going to be a trip to an Infinity stealership? I've got the battery disconnected again and going to try and leave it off for longer but really need help.

Help please!!! it's cold out there (5 F this morning) and New Year's day so naturally dealer isn't open.

FML!
Old 01-02-2018, 02:26 PM
69GTOFarm

also put this and the answer in the General Tech section, probably more correct location. wound up taking vehicle to dealership:

Dealer found 2 blown fuses in the IPDM module - Intelligent Power Distribution Module. Service description was "Found that the shift assembly and the A/c unit was not getting power to both units, checked power and ground on both circuits and found in IPDM that fuses are blown causing this issue.

I've been researching online trying to find where this module actually is, seems to be under hood but pictures of it show plenty of fuses. They fixed the problem and didn't charge me for the fuses, granted that is a little charge but - hey, those things cost money. All I had to pay was the diagnostics fee, which is expected.

I apologize to Plaza Motors in Creve Coeur Missouri for calling them a "stealership" in my OP. They were extremely helpful, polite and didn't attempt to upsell on unneeded services. They pointed out things that could be fixed and how much it was. Service manager Kody Bradford did offer a service to inspect, adjust and lubricate the top mechanism. He said many 'vert owners do that in the spring. Quoted me a reasonable price as well.

Props to Plaza Motors in Creve Coeur Missouri, the got me in first thing in the morning, offered to look at my vehicle while I waited and got to me very quickly. I highly recommend having your Infiniti serviced at this shop. This is the second time we've been there and they have always served us well. They had sent a mailer offering a free oil change, multi point inspection and $1000 off a new car. Asked them to show me a new convertible Infiniti and maybe we could talk. Both the Service guy and I had a small laugh over that. No convert, no new car for wifey! That's OK, love the 'vert!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:50 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Glad everything worked out.
Do you have any modifications done to the car? Curious as to why the fuses might've been blown.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:49 PM
69GTOFarm

No modifications at all - stock as a rock. My only guess is that something happened when resetting codes in the OBDII that blew them. No problems before I read codes and problem started immediately after so cause and effect make me believe the reset did it.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:00 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by 69GTOFarm
No modifications at all - stock as a rock. My only guess is that something happened when resetting codes in the OBDII that blew them. No problems before I read codes and problem started immediately after so cause and effect make me believe the reset did it.
An OBDII reset can not blow fuses in the IPDM or any other module.
Since codes were retrieved, there were other issues, BEFORE the OBD scanner was connected.

One of those issues was a U0164.
This is a CAN network communication fault (of the car's wired networks), which explains why other items didn't function, the are all connected on the CAN bus.

Something may of failed in the IPDM and that took down the car's CAN network.