My turn, stuck convertible roof, and key not detected, won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:07 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My turn, stuck convertible roof, and key not detected, won't start.

So the backstory is...

Key light came on while driving Sunday night in the rain. It's been raining all day Sunday with the car outside. Seems to not be detected/lost programming all of a sudden. Going to get that looked at after work, and hopefully get the roof cycled to close properly. And hopefully be able to start the car. When I turned off the car at my destination the lights were in the on position although turned off when i got out of the car. The keyfob, did not open the car when I tried to get back in after locking it, and I tried the door button, but pressed too long. This puts the windows and roof down.. Got the car started as the roof was going down once, and still could not cycle the roof closed or open with the car on. With the car off that was it. No more starting. Battery is good. No jump worked. Key fob in the key fob hole (to start in case of dead key fob battery) did not work. So getting key fob checked, and reprogrammed to the car later today. Fingers crossed. hopefully that resolves it. Oh, and to get the roof cycled through. One of the guys has a shop with the software tool to reset the roof. Wish me luck!!!

Last edited by cereal2k; 12-05-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Once you get the key problem solved, you can reset the roof by simply complete open/close procedure.

The roof position memory get's messed up every time the battery is disconnected or battery went dead, resulting on annoying beep when locking the car. Open/close the roof solve the problem.

BTW! did you tried to use the spare key to start the car? if the spare key don't work, then you might have a serious BCM problem on that car... is NOT normal for the car to loose the key memory...
The following users liked this post:
kiseliok (12-14-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
any update?? I see you didn't add anything to Atlanta Gs either
Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 PM
cereal2k

Current status, waiting for a tow truck. But HUGE shout out and THANK YOU to Moe from Electronics Masters for getting my roof cycled, (No dings), the car in Neutral, and started for a quick minute and identifying a fault area, ignition harness area was wet, under passenger side floor area of the G37. Ignition goes in and out, car won't start at the moment and not recommended to drive if it did again. This will be heading to Electronics Masters (in Norcross, Ga) for the full diagnosis and fix, and getting the plastic by the lower windshield sealed to block water entry. 0_0. Moe is the real MVP. 👍👍

The following users liked this post:
Trezzay (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
As a convertible owner, this definitely puts fear in me. Best of luck with the repairs.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:57 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Elco
Once you get the key problem solved, you can reset the roof by simply complete open/close procedure.

The roof position memory get's messed up every time the battery is disconnected or battery went dead, resulting on annoying beep when locking the car. Open/close the roof solve the problem.

BTW! did you tried to use the spare key to start the car? if the spare key don't work, then you might have a serious BCM problem on that car... is NOT normal for the car to loose the key memory...
Water got to the ignition harness, so that was just cleaned out to have the car start. Finding the source of the leak specifically is what's next.
With the ignition faulty all the normal reset procedures did not work, nor the spare key which was tried at the time.

A consult 3 type reset for the roof was needed and pulling the shifter console was also needed to move the shifter for tow. The normal removing the key lock cover and inserting the key to move the shifter while holding the shifter button did not work.

So water causes the strangest things. But thankfully getting it resolved and prevented for the next heavy rains.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
This thread might help you to locate the water leak: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...s-haunted.html
Old 12-08-2016, 08:07 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Elco
This thread might help you to locate the water leak: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...s-haunted.html
Thanks Elco!!!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Man that's crazy! Keep us posted.
Hopefully in won't cost you both arms and both legs.