Retirement

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:36 PM
smithmts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retirement

Thinking about getting a G37 Convertible as a retirement car but don't want to spend a lot of money for it. I saw a 2010 G with 56K miles for $20K. Hesitant to pull the trigger on an out-of-warranty car for $20K.

Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2016, 04:18 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Any pictures or more information on the car? Also are you set on buying a convertible? Congratulations on living the retirement life btw
Old 06-03-2016, 04:56 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Ask yourself what car can you purchase with this much luxury, speed, reliablity and looks for 20k? Below is a picture that was on another thread....it shows how reliable these cars actually are....
The following users liked this post:
Autocutter (06-04-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 05:52 PM
ianphampton
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyz424
Any pictures or more information on the car? Also are you set on buying a convertible? Congratulations on living the retirement life btw
Definitely worth getting a convertible, there's nothing like the driving with the wind in your hair (or over the scalp, in my case)
2mnycars (09-01-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 06:49 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
how the hell is it possible to drive 400k miles in 7-8 years? seriously......?
Old 06-04-2016, 06:50 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
That is crazy. I drive a ton for work and only average 30-35k/year. That puts me at 250k max from new
Old 06-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I got my '09 back in December with 62K miles on it, out of warranty, and I've already put 10K more on it. Drives like a dream. Keep up with the maintenance, which isn't much, and the car just runs.

What other cars are you looking at?

Is $20k your budget?

What are you looking for in a retirement car?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:48 PM
smithmts

Looking for a convertible V6 for my retirement. Not looking at anything else but Infiniti; have a 2001 QX4 that's still running so I'm happy with the brand. The G37 seems to fit what I want: V6, convertible, and reliable. Want to stay around $20K but could bump it up a little depending on the car's condition.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smithmts
Looking for a convertible V6 for my retirement. Not looking at anything else but Infiniti; have a 2001 QX4 that's still running so I'm happy with the brand. The G37 seems to fit what I want: V6, convertible, and reliable. Want to stay around $20K but could bump it up a little depending on the car's condition.
Well it looks like your mind is set. You've only got the G and the M30 My only advice is to get all the features on the car that you're looking for; tech package, lane departure system, sports package etc. I haven't seen any convertibles without Nav, but i know the G comes without it in coupe and sedan. Another thing to look for is the spare in the trunk. The first 2 years didn't come with one and I think it was an option on the others. All these things are harder to get/install after the fact.

As far as picking one, check the headliner for any water stains (might be a leak), and test drive the car with the top up and down; no audio on. With the top up, you'll hear some noise but if it's excessive, that's a problem. You can test the audio, air and other stuff in the lot, but you really need to feel what it will be like driving the car in both conditions. I'm sure you should look at other stuff, but it's really different driving a hardtop convertible.

I wish you the best of luck. There's a wealth of knowledge here so if you have any questions just ask.
2mnycars (09-01-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Autocutter
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smithmts
Yup, I bought a Vibrant Red 2010 vert after I retired too. Love the car's face, and horse power. Down sides are dealing with the service department gross overcharging, poor paint quality, and all the squeaks. Plus sides are good power, good ride, and A/C seats (make sure it works before you purchase.). All in all, it beats a MX-5 (plus you don't have to deal with nut case pickup drivers!)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Autocutter

poor paint quality

A/C seats (make sure it works before you purchase.).
Yup!!! I drive mostly on the interstate and the front of the car has taken a beating. Also, the '09 didn't get air, only heat in the seats :-/. The features change during the years so make sure you get what you want.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Autocutter
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trezzay
Yup!!! I drive mostly on the interstate and the front of the car has taken a beating. Also, the '09 didn't get air, only heat in the seats :-/. The features change during the years so make sure you get what you want.
Agreed, mine has tons of rock chips in front and hood. Now I'm not slamming Infinitii as most Japense cars have crappy paint that easliy breaks down-I see a lot of Japense cars who's clear coat is coming off on the upside surfaces. That said, I've seen lots of BMW's having the same issues.

The A/C seat are awesome here in Florida with the top down, course you have to run the A/C even with the top down but it really helps when it hits +90's
Old 07-29-2016, 03:29 PM
r3dh3dgrl

My 2010 drives like a dream with 54,000k.
Unfortunately I have to sell it because I really need a 4 door. Sniff.......
Old 09-05-2016, 01:17 AM
Melfus Rufus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Owner

I just bought a 2009 G37, 25k miles, Midnight Garnet, black interior, 2 months ago. Very happy I did NOT wait until retirement to buy it (still 10 years out) It's a great car.

Some complaints: The roof rattles in the trunk when the roof is down, and there is no trunk space. Not a car for a small family, but a great retirement car. When we go on trips in the summer, the bags will certainly be in the back seat. We have a screen that covers the rear seat section. No Bluetooth for iPhone music in 2009 models, but the phone works fine. I think later models have the music Bluetooth.

Great points: Handles very well - seems like a lot of understeer to me, but who cares. Use quality premium. I always buy at least 91 (Denver at mile high creates power issues anyway) and noticed a big difference in performance if the gas quality is not right. Costco premium gas works very well. Went 125 mph on interstate once (roof up) and speed still rising before the wife woke up directed an immediate halt to the fun.

Got a partial mask when I purchased. Just a few small rock hits. Bet you can find a lightly used car with a great paint finish you can protect.

The roof jammed and quit working the first day I had it - failure mode: Sometimes when the roof is down and we have the side windows up, the driver's side window does not retract before the roof goes back up. Not good, but they fixed it. Judging from other owner posts, the roof seems tricky sometimes.

I bought an extended warranty for $2500 5/60 and did so based on the roof incident, and probably will never use the warranty, but I sleep better at night.

Wife loves the car, so I leave it for her to drive on nice days during the day. She does not appreciate the power aspects, but loves the driving part - she just does not understand all the reasons why she loves it so much, other than top down mode. The car handles very comfortably on winding roads. It's a smooth ride on the interstate at 80 mph and has much more than that to offer in speed.

My advice - get one!
Old 09-05-2016, 01:21 AM
Melfus Rufus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That mileage is insane, but glad to see it's running so well still!

Quick Reply: Retirement