top maintenence..

Old 06-29-2014, 01:35 AM
stevelam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
top maintenence..

is it a bad idea to maybe lubricate any of the moving parts for the top? what would use if so? i just dont wanna fudge anything up
Old 06-29-2014, 05:37 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stevelam
is it a bad idea to maybe lubricate any of the moving parts for the top? what would use if so? i just dont wanna fudge anything up
Well, I found this article on the BMW forum that outlines how they think the retractable hard top should be maintained.
Keeping Your 3 Series Origami Top in Tip Top Shape - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
(The G37's top is also made in Germany)

Also, you will find threads here where some people have gotten into some trouble while performing maintenance on the top. What they did was raise it half way and then stopped it and also turned off the car's ignition. Don't turn off the ignition when the roof is at it's halfway point. I have done this half a dozen times and I haven't had any problems (with the ignition left on). When in the half way position I have used Gummi-Phledge on the rubber seals. I haven't needed to lubricate any of the joints - yet. THe BMW post mentions a lubricant to use. I checked and it is NOT cheap.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 PM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, but can you lube the seals with the top in the trunk? Are the seals exposed when the roof is folded up?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zdubin
This may sound like a stupid question, but can you lube the seals with the top in the trunk? Are the seals exposed when the roof is folded up?
Not a stupid question at all. You can reach some of the seals when it's in the trunk, but not all of them. As an example, when the top is up, the rubber seal that runs across the roof above the back seat isn't accessible when folded in the trunk.