View Poll Results: Have you experienced mechanical problems with the Vert roof?
No, zero roof issues so far!
43.75%
Yes, one minor issue
6.25%
Yes, multiple minor issues
16.07%
Yes, one major issue
14.29%
Yes, multiple major issues
22.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How many Vert owners have had roof issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
BMW's hardtop verts have the same issues, or worse and a 335 vert is more like a $60K car. My neighbor has had nightmares with his 370Z roadster, which is a soft top. No matter what the dealer does it just doesn't seem to fit right, all sorts of issues. I think they replaced the fabric portion once and still having issues. The Z has probably been back to the dealer 10 times in 2 years with roof issues. I think to some degree it's just the price you pay for the top down fun you are having :-).

The reason I didn't get a 6MT vert this time around isn't reliability. Its the fact that I am still hauling people around and need a sedan with a good back seat.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM
ATLcple

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought used, been great

Original ques is over a year old, but I see some recent responses, so I will add mine.
Unlike most here, I am a new owner of a used G37vert. I bought a 2010 in Sep2013 with 38,000 miles on it.
I saw many with the 'snake bite' dents in the roof, and ALL had door panel damage from being closed on the seatbelts...but the Graphite Shadow / Graphite with wood interior one that I bought was by far the cleanest and newest looking example.
So far in 3months of ownership, I have had zero roof complaints. It has opened/closed every time, no water leaks, headliner looks great with top up and hasn't binded or been caught during operation, and no squeaks up or down.
The overall condition as a used car makes me believe she had a caring previous owner (especially for a 'lease vehicle').
I will still purchase a $1,300 extended warranty because of all the reported issues I have read about here.
So far the driving experience has been great...fast, sounds great, looks even better! Wish I could get it away from my wife more often, ha.

Last edited by ATLcple; 11-19-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added content
Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 AM
colnajoe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned mine for a year now and the only roof issue I have had was due to "operator headspacing", all my fault. Those have been fixed and I've learbned all the ins and outs of vert ownership. Winter is upon us again here in the Chicagoland, and I look forward to another winter of driving the snow covered expressways and a rear wheeled drive sports car. Looking forward to spring already..
Old 04-21-2014, 10:15 PM
mongo138
Registered Member

Well the snake bite hit us over the weekend. Took it to the dealer and they asked did you leave anything in the trunk? Gee what a question not much room to leave anything in the trunk if your going to lower the roof LOL!
Any way they took it for an inspection and could not replicate the issue and that I could call Infiniti to talk to them. Wow what a response this is my 4th Infiniti in the last 4 years. Its real simple when the top is down the lower portion will hit the top if you happen to drive over a curb or hit a bump. Lower the top and check it out with the trunk open you can get your hand under it and it will lift up. That's the only way you can make it contact so yes if you left a briefcase it would cause it to hit. But in our case it was either a curb or pot hole. Any way we will see what they say in the morning.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
UN1263

Keep in mind if you leave something in the trunk and screw the top up, even though the warranty won't cover it, your comprehensive insurance should.

My wife's car has about 9900 miles on now and the top rattles going down the road while in the up position and has been since 4500 miles. Amazingly enough, the Mrs is very OCD and hasn't complained about it yet but I think its because she loves the car. Personally, it annoys the crap out of me considering its a low mile, never wrecked high dollar car and I don't want to be in while the top is up.

I probably come off as a bit judgmental but the wife put 45K miles on a '10 Eos before this car and it didn't make a peep with the top up or down so if VW can get a retractable roof right, one would think Nissan could too.
Attached Thumbnails Poll: How many Vert owners have had roof issues?-imagejpeg_0.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 PM
mongo138
Registered Member

So true but it's only $500.00 to fix deductible is that much so their you go with that idea. Worse part is it will happen again some time some day since it really is a factory design flaw.
Probably not as much an issue with a non s car. The 19 in wheels do not have much give in the back. And too think I have the tire delete option as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 PM
mongo138
Registered Member

As for the rattle try some lube on the rubbers of the top. Mine was really bad until I lubed her up!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
crawdad8796

When you say lube the rubbers, do you mean all the gaskets around the different top peices? Also, what kind of lubricant do you use?

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
JRW370
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do get an occasional squeak in cold weather if I'm making a sharp, hard turn and making a drastic up or downhill change in elevation at the same time - like in a parking garage. Otherwise no noise, problems or issues whatsoever. I would expect that much or more with any convertible, when twisting the chassis. After two years and 14,500 miles the problem hasn't gotten any worse. That and the extra weight are the only reminders that I'm driving a convertible when the top is up during the winter.

The Vert handles better than I expected, is a blast to drive and gets more compliments than any car I've owned - including a couple of very nice BMW 5s and an SL from my single days.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Rpeif20

Originally Posted by gerryland
I purchased a 2009 convertible G37S and I had numerous roof problems. It went into the dealer many times but problem always returned. Roof was in the open position and wouldn't close. While driving the alarms were sounding indicating the roof was trying to move. After numerous trips and a history report on the car they indicated the original 2009 had a hydraulic control module problem. It was repaired once before under warranty for $6500.00 and Now in 2013 its had a second repair for $6500.00 under warranty again. The service manager stated the part they took out of the car and the new hydraulic module look much different so lets hope now that the warranty expires Jun 2014 this will be the last one............
How did the dealer come to the conclusion that it was the hydraulic control module? I have the same issues with my 09 and I've talked to the service guy at the dealer. Problem is that they can't change the module until they see it acting up while they have it. These problems are intermittent so that's going to be difficult to prove. Was there a service bulletin? I do think it is a defective module in my car, but until it gives out completely, I'll just have to live with these issues.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 PM
ConvertibleLE

Originally Posted by mongo138
Well the snake bite hit us over the weekend. Took it to the dealer and they asked did you leave anything in the trunk? Gee what a question not much room to leave anything in the trunk if your going to lower the roof LOL!
Any way they took it for an inspection and could not replicate the issue and that I could call Infiniti to talk to them. Wow what a response this is my 4th Infiniti in the last 4 years. Its real simple when the top is down the lower portion will hit the top if you happen to drive over a curb or hit a bump. Lower the top and check it out with the trunk open you can get your hand under it and it will lift up. That's the only way you can make it contact so yes if you left a briefcase it would cause it to hit. But in our case it was either a curb or pot hole. Any way we will see what they say in the morning.
Could you explain exactly what is hitting what part of the roof and what motion causes it? If I go over a speed bump too fast, am I vulnerable to this?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM
mongo138
Registered Member

Pretty easy to see just lower your top and look where the 2nd part of the 3 piece top kind of rests and the other portion lays on top of it.
If you raise the middle piece up you will see where it could hit!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:24 PM
JbabsG37
Registered Member

I have the rattle in the rear passenger side. The dealer has "fixed" it 3-4 times and it always comes back. Next time it goes in for service I am going to sit down with the service manager and see what's up.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:41 PM
gerryland

2009 G37 hydraulic pump problem

I owned a 2009 G37 Convertible. The original owner ad the hydraulic pump replace and then I had to do it as the second owner. So the car had 19000 miles on the car and twice the pump had gone which meant that if I was driving with the top down I couldnt put the top of so I stayed close to home in case of problems. The dealer told me that the part had been upgraded however after 2 pump failures I decided to trade the car and get rid of the problem before the warranty was about to expire. Not sure if others had the same problem or not.