For those who got the vert seatbelt TSB, is it still retracting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
For those who got the vert seatbelt TSB, is it still retracting?

Seems mine is not doing it right and I have some new damage. I have a feeling they won't redo the TSB for me.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Doc750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's getting weak again, but right now it's still working.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the seatbelt is a safety thing and has like a rediculous warranty. If its not retracting, the belt isn't fitting properly and isn't doing its job.

If you take it in, regardless your G has a mechanical warranty or not, don't they have to fix it?

4-year/60,000-mile Basic coverage
5-year/50,000-mile Emission Control coverage
6-year/70,000-mile Powertrain coverage
7-year/unlimited-mileage Corrosion coverage
10-year/unlimited-mileage Seat Belt Warranty
4-year/60,000-mile Genuine Infiniti Accessories Basic coverage (when purchased at time of vehicle sale)
Up to 7-year/100,000-mile Infiniti Extended Protection Plan (optional)
2-year/24,000-mile Federal Emission Performance Warranty
4-year/60,000-mile Federal Emission Defect Warranty
8-year/80,000-mile Federal Emission Long Term Defect Warranty
4-year/60,000-mile California Emission Performance and Defect Warranties
7-year/70,000-mile California Emission Long Term Defect Warranty
Took that from their website. You should call them.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 AM
shtaka
Registered Member

I had the fix done and mine still doesn't retract as well as it should.

I pointed out the damage caused by the metal part of the seat belt to the service adviser when I brought it in for its 15,000 mile service on Friday. I mentioned that the whole design for holding the seat belt in place was kind of a kludge, that those two metal snaps should have been Velcro. He told me that there's a new design and that he could order the parts and change them under warranty.

The parts, including new trim pieces, will be here today. I'll report back.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 AM
lier200a

Mine is still retracting, not as strong as when it was first installed but its still retracting up
Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Calgarywinger

Originally Posted by Mattster
If I'm not mistaken, the seatbelt is a safety thing and has like a rediculous warranty. If its not retracting, the belt isn't fitting properly and isn't doing its job.
How I wish Infiniti agreed with you!
After 3 years of nasty fighting with both Infiniti Customer Service in Ontario and Nissan to replace my inner door panel damaged by the non-retractable belt I gave up.
It has been pointed out to me by Infiniti that it is not a safety issue because the belt works perfectly well when strapped across your torso and clipped in the holder. If the belt failed to keep you in your seat then it would be defective. Retracting after use has nothing to do with the belt's performance when it is used as directed in the manual.
Anyway, you can see where that goes

The Dealer felt bad because they eventually replaced the retractor as per the TSB but will not incur the cost of a new door panel without Infiniti's approval.

The replacement part didn't seem to make a big difference but after 3 years I'm so used to manually feed the belt back into the slot so it's no big deal.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM
lier200a

Originally Posted by Calgarywinger
How I wish Infiniti agreed with you!
After 3 years of nasty fighting with both Infiniti Customer Service in Ontario and Nissan to replace my inner door panel damaged by the non-retractable belt I gave up.
It has been pointed out to me by Infiniti that it is not a safety issue because the belt works perfectly well when strapped across your torso and clipped in the holder. If the belt failed to keep you in your seat then it would be defective. Retracting after use has nothing to do with the belt's performance when it is used as directed in the manual.
Anyway, you can see where that goes

The Dealer felt bad because they eventually replaced the retractor as per the TSB but will not incur the cost of a new door panel without Infiniti's approval.

The replacement part didn't seem to make a big difference but after 3 years I'm so used to manually feed the belt back into the slot so it's no big deal.
I know in Regina, they replaced the door panel as per "accessory damage" due to "malfunction seat belt retraction" under warranty, which does make sense... I don't know if that helps.

There was also another thread on the this issue where others got there panel replaced under warranty too.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...available.html
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It seems to work some times, then other times not as well. Since the TSB was already done, I think the dealer would be reluctant to do it again. I'll call customer car first and see what they say. Replacing the door panel _again_ is what I would like to get done and the seatbelt of course.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
G37Paul
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the TSB done for the seat belt retraction last year. They also replace both door panels that had some damage under warranty. As of today, my belts are still retracting just fine (way better than the original ones). I also had the driver seat back replaced because the leather was pulling away by the seat forward fold release handle. There was no charge for this either. The dealer saw it and said, we can take of that for you and did without me asking.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
psdenno
Registered Member

My dealer did the TSB, replaced both door panels, and replaced seat back skins six months ago. No fuss or muss. Seems to still be working.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 AM
colnajoe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just bought my '09, and im sitting in the dealership waiting for the verdict on my seatbelts, door panels and seat backs-upgraded D rings, etc.... first time to an infiniti shop for repair, life long nissan fan to this point. Curious as to what they will cover or not. Belts stay out and hang below door, 15 plus holes in drivers door panel, 5 in pass side, and some paint chips too. Small tear in leather seat top by recline button. Could get interesting.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
colnajoe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, The retractors work great, got new drivers door panel...passenger side had no damage. The belts still catch a bit on the weak loops at the top of the seat, but overall, they work well, and have fixed the problem
Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Spindoctor

Recently purchased a used 2009. Any way to visually tell if the TSB has already been done?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 AM
crazysim

What yr verts does this affect? I have a 12 and am not seeing any problems with my seat belt.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
psdenno
Registered Member

Did the TSB, replaced both door panels and both seat back skins. Retraction is getting weak after a year.
Dennis

Quick Reply: For those who got the vert seatbelt TSB, is it still retracting?