New noise from rear seat headrests-not the roof.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
G37Paul
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New noise from rear seat headrests-not the roof.

Just got my car back from the dealer doing an oil change and they noticed a squeak coming from the back seat. When they took the seat out, the squeak is gone. Put the back seat back in, and it sometimes can be heard on certain roads at certain speeds. (Nothing you can't drown out with conversation or the radio, but if you listen for it, it's there). I drove with the tech and and we isolated it to the driver's side back seat head rest. The rear head rest has a safety mechanism that pops up in the event of a roll over.

Apparently, other customers have noticed this squeak / vibration noise and it can't yet be corrected at the dealership yet. Engineering will be working on this problem on another car in the same shop with the same problem only worse than mine. By putting slight pressure on the headrest with you hand the noise will go away. Once a fix is engineered and a bulletin goes out, I'll bring mine back for the correction.

I just want to make everyone aware, that that small noise in the back left may actually be coming from the rear seat headrest assembly and not the roof. I'll let everyone know if there's fix for those that experience the problem.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 PM
G37Paul
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer called me last week to bring my car in while engineering was in town. Got a call back a few days later and the headrest noise is gone. Engineering decided just to replace my rear seat back with a new one. Problem solved. I'm guessing they still don't have a solution other than replacing the defective part, if that's the problem. Car is nice and quiet again. Also, they did a Navigation System update that was a "recall". I don't notice anything different though in any way.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Rudxb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought a vert and i noticed this squeak from the back seats too. I will try to put pressure on it and keep you posted.

Many thanks
Old 07-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Fins160
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Did anyone ever get more details on this? My 2010 vert has developed a squeak from the rear seat area. I removed the seat, and I still hear the squeak. Same description as above. I am pulling my hair out!