rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM
blkmanual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattle noise

Guys I am a new owner of a 2010 vert and have a question. I hope this was not discussed already but I apologize in advance if it was. I have 200 miles on the car and notice a rattle like a loose metal sound when going over slight road imperfections. When I go over a bump or something I hear notheing but if there is a small ripple in the raod I hear the noice. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear wheel area. Anyone have this issue? Also when the roof is down the black plastic piece that covers the roof behind the rear seats on the deck lid seems to be moving when I drive. It doesnt move a lot but it does a small bounce, when stopped you can move it a bit by pushing down on it. Is this normal? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wheel noise is unusual but rear deck moving slightly is normal, have your dealer check it out.

My convertible (2009) has no such issue -
Old 08-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Calgarywinger

Does the noise only occur at low speeds? I had a clicking kind of noise from the rear passenger wheel area. It was fixed, on warranty, by the dealer as a result of an ITB and required re-packing the rear axle with grease.
The back cover flexing is normal.
Good luck
Dan
Old 08-30-2010, 10:27 PM
g37vanbc

I have a problem with the hinges for the roof squeaking as you drive down the road. and it gets really bad over bumps or uneven road surfaces.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:26 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by g37vanbc
I have a problem with the hinges for the roof squeaking as you drive down the road. and it gets really bad over bumps or uneven road surfaces.
Lubricate the rubber seals between each of the roof panels with a nice silicone spray applied via a microfiber cloth. Viola - no more squeak!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Poe408

bshurr,

to lubricate the rubber seals, would you suggest opening the conv top partially to gain access to them? if not, how would you recommend doing it?

also... is there a specific type of silicone spray to use? perhaps a car-safe kind?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Poe408
bshurr,

to lubricate the rubber seals, would you suggest opening the conv top partially to gain access to them? if not, how would you recommend doing it?

also... is there a specific type of silicone spray to use? perhaps a car-safe kind?
Yup - open the roof partially then stop so it remains half way up/down & lube all the rubber between the panels - Dont forget the top seal on the front windshield too. I use a 100% silicone spray (dont recall the brand) and I have no squeeks.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Yes, Use 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type), 08897, I have used this on sun roof and my car it works great.
High quality silicone lubricant which eliminates rubber squeaks, prevents sticking and seals out moisture. This product contains no petroleum oils to stain fabrics and will not freeze at -28 degrees F nor degrade at +350 degrees F.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Poe408

my local home depot doesn't seem to have 3m silicone spray (or any other silicone spray). where did you guys buy your silicone spray?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Poe408
my local home depot doesn't seem to have 3m silicone spray (or any other silicone spray). where did you guys buy your silicone spray?
I got directly from 3M for about five bucks + s&h.

Go to an auto store not a home store.. or search on line...

DuPont also makes similar product may be available.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Poe408

thanks cvipgo. i'm not sure why i expected home depot to carry that product. guess i wasn't thinking. i'll try pep boys or autozone or something.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
audiotechnica

Originally Posted by blkmanual
Guys I am a new owner of a 2010 vert and have a question. I hope this was not discussed already but I apologize in advance if it was. I have 200 miles on the car and notice a rattle like a loose metal sound when going over slight road imperfections. When I go over a bump or something I hear notheing but if there is a small ripple in the raod I hear the noice. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear wheel area. Anyone have this issue? Also when the roof is down the black plastic piece that covers the roof behind the rear seats on the deck lid seems to be moving when I drive. It doesnt move a lot but it does a small bounce, when stopped you can move it a bit by pushing down on it. Is this normal? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
I have the same exact bloody thing on my 2009 G37x Sedan coming from the driver side. It doesn't happen on most bumps but if the road is bad enough to make the car jump for a few feet, suddenly it sounds like a metal sheet is loose under the car banging against the body. Of course, when I took it to the stealership, they couldn't hear it because the roads around the place were not ****ty enough. I'll have to take it to a different dealer with crappy streets nearby...

I looked under the car and the ONLY thing that might potential make that sound is the metal shielding around the catalytic converter, but I don't have a jack so I can't look any more closely than crawling under it from the side with a flashlight. Let me know what your dealer says!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
blkmanual

I took my car to the dealer and at first said they couldnt hear anything after 3 test drives they heard it. Turns out it was the emergency brake cable was loose and it rattled against the bottom of the car. Once they tightened it the noise was gone. The brake handle doesnt come up as high as before but other than that it is good for now! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
audiotechnica

Well, I spent some more time under my car today and I found the source of the noise - it's the heat shields over the mufflers! Those things are really thin and have a lot of play in them, so if the car shakes a lot for more than a second or two, they vibrate so much they hit the muffler or the car body, making the metal tin-can-hitting-the-ground-noise. I guess I'll just live with it since there's no way to really bolt them into place (tape or foam will burn/melt, and there's no place to put a screw hole in...).
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
audiotechnica

Originally Posted by blkmanual
I took my car to the dealer and at first said they couldnt hear anything after 3 test drives they heard it. Turns out it was the emergency brake cable was loose and it rattled against the bottom of the car. Once they tightened it the noise was gone. The brake handle doesnt come up as high as before but other than that it is good for now! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Can you describe the exact sound of your rattle? Was it rapid or single hits? Was it sharp or dull? Metallic or not? Did it occur on every bump or only really hard ones?

Quick Reply: rattle noise