Rear Spoiler/Aerial

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Rear Spoiler/Aerial

I did a search but could not find a definitive answer. I have a few questions regarding the back of a 'vert:
1) Is the stubby aerial just for satellite or for AM/FM also? Is there a hole through the trunk lid for this piece?
2) Does the nice looking OEM spoiler go over the chrome piece or replace it?

I would LOVE to dump these two pieces and replace both with a spoiler. My local dealer, sales AND service, are stumped about what is involved??

Help.

Last edited by Shane D; 09-09-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
If I'm not mistaken once you get the actual spoiler the antenna is integrated in it. There was a thread talking about this... can't find it right now though.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by soolman32
If I'm not mistaken once you get the actual spoiler the antenna is integrated in it. There was a thread talking about this... can't find it right now though.
I have seen the thread, but it is "iffy" about the ugly piece in the middle. Also I guess the point would be moot if there is a hole in the trunk lid because then you are keeping it anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Weird. I don't remember seeing that when I looked at the verts right when they came out. That looks rediculus.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:15 AM
JohnnyCham
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
I did a search but could not find a definitive answer. I have a few questions regarding the back of a 'vert:
1) Is the stubby aerial just for satellite or for AM/FM also? Is there a hole through the trunk lid for this piece?
2) Does the nice looking OEM spoiler go over the chrome piece or replace it?

I would LOVE to dump these two pieces and replace both with a spoiler. My local dealer, sales AND service, are stumped about what is involved??

Help.
i think when u buy a spoiler, u get a new "cap" for the puck looking thing. the puck is for XM while the "antenna" is for am/fm reception. the spoiler has a AM/FM antenna integrated so u wont have to have a short antenna on the puck. from the pictures in mags and whatnot, the spoiler does replace the "chrome" peice on the trunk. the puck however cannot be removed i think as you would have a hole in the middlle of the trunk, unless you get it filled in or somthing.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by JohnnyCham
i think when u buy a spoiler, u get a new "cap" for the puck looking thing. the puck is for XM while the "antenna" is for am/fm reception. the spoiler has a AM/FM antenna integrated so u wont have to have a short antenna on the puck. from the pictures in mags and whatnot, the spoiler does replace the "chrome" peice on the trunk. the puck however cannot be removed i think as you would have a hole in the middlle of the trunk, unless you get it filled in or somthing.
So, as of right now, is the stubby antenna for AM/FM AND Satellite?
I am thinking that if I got a new spoiler I can at least unscrew the aerial from the base (which you know some *** is going to tear off anyways). All I really want is my ipod hook-up with the AM/FM as an occasional back-up.

My salesman said that they ordered the shorter aerial for a client a few months ago. The new one was only two inches shorter than the one already on it! And everybody is totally stumped on the spoiler option and what does what.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:13 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stubby is just for AM/FM. The base of it is for XM.

If you get the intergrated spoiler, it has the AM/FM antenna built in. Then you just have a painted cap to go over the XM reciever like the regular coupes have. Except ours is on the roof and yours is on the trunk.

This is a perfect example. This is what a car will look like with the spoiler option. As you see, the XM antenna remains but simply has a painted cap. The AM/FM is built into the spoiler....which also removes the ugly chrome piece.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
The stubby is just for AM/FM. The base of it is for XM.

Thanks!

If you get the intergrated spoiler, it has the AM/FM antenna built in. Then you just have a painted cap to go over the XM reciever like the regular coupes have. Except ours is on the roof and yours is on the trunk.

I'd rather have a smooth trunk, but that is a lot better.

This is a perfect example. This is what a car will look like with the spoiler option. As you see, the XM antenna remains but simply has a painted cap. The AM/FM is built into the spoiler....which also removes the ugly chrome piece.

That is the look I would like but my local dealer is lost on it. The service guy found a rear spoiler for cars without nav (no camera?), and the cost was $1,635.00 installed!!
And I do have the HT package so I want the camera.

Thanks for the reply!!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the same problem. I call my dealer every month or so just to check on any updates with the availability of the spoiler.. but nobody knows. I even emailed infinitiusa about the issue, but they said they don't have any information about, and that your dealer will be the first one to know when it actually is available.

On the infinitiusa website, the price is listed as $800 something dollars.. so that price is a ripoff. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jubbliepuff
I've had the same problem. I call my dealer every month or so just to check on any updates with the availability of the spoiler.. but nobody knows. I even emailed infinitiusa about the issue, but they said they don't have any information about, and that your dealer will be the first one to know when it actually is available.

On the infinitiusa website, the price is listed as $800 something dollars.. so that price is a ripoff. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
I decided to mail two of our sponsors, Beshoff Infiniti and Grubbs Infiniti. Beshoff got right back to me. They both have web sites stating that a spoiler is $530.00, but that must be a regular spoiler. I got a reply from Beshoff stating that they have spoilers with AM/FM receiver and the cost is $730.00, painted. I e-mailed back to ask if it includes a camera since he asked about Nav. If that is the correct price, I will be looking at about a grand with conversion, duties, customs and shipping.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:05 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
we'r ewaiting for them to get the spoiler right w/ the strong am/fm signal from the antenna being built into the spoiler.

i rather have them get it right before releasign it and have comebacks
Old 12-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Question

Originally Posted by da mayor
we'r ewaiting for them to get the spoiler right w/ the strong am/fm signal from the antenna being built into the spoiler.

i rather have them get it right before releasign it and have comebacks
So they don't actually exist yet? Where do coupes get their AM/FM signal from?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:41 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
So they don't actually exist yet? Where do coupes get their AM/FM signal from?
in the rear window... it's a diversity antenna right into the rear windshield of the M and G's. The EX, FX have that little stubby antenna just like the verts do.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Question

Originally Posted by da mayor
in the rear window... it's a diversity antenna right into the rear windshield of the M and G's. The EX, FX have that little stubby antenna just like the verts do.
I never even noticed it on my '06 M. I will have a look tomorrow.
So this "fix" is still months away?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 AM
kpmnd85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my convertible I told them I wanted the spoiler. The car was in transit from Japan. The dealer told me the spoilers are being installed at the port of entry and tried to get mine installed there. It didn't happen so they found one at another dealer and had it shipped to them.

It works very well. And after paying $50K, paying an additional $800 takes away a major blemish on what otherwise is a very well styled car.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler/Aerial