Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Ark Grip CBE + Test Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 PM
NBDT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ark Grip CBE + Test Pipes

Ark Grip CBE + Fast Intentions Resonated Test Pipes + Stillen Gen 3 Intake

i recently had my first CBE installed. Previously I’ve never bought a full CBE in any other vehicle I’ve owned including a 05 E55 AMG that I had straight piped with long tube headers.

Originally, I had the FI rTPs installed with the stock exhaust. I developed a rattle in the stock mufflers.

Next, I deleted the muffler and installed Vibrant 1790 resonators welded to the stock piping. The sound quality was unbearable for my daily highway commute. Excessive drone under load between 1.5k rpm - 3k rpm. That didn’t even take into account the WOT sound of the test pipes. Needless to say while it sounded beastly, it was way too loud for my tastes.

So, after researching a true dual CBE option I decided to purchase the Ark Grip in stainless steel tip to see if it would tone down the excessive drone and highlight the VQ growl we all love.

I worked with Luke from THMotorsports after reaching out to him as a forum member. I was pleased with the below list pricing + free shipping direct to my installer.

When the the big day arrived I was completely stoked. Install took less than an hour with no hiccups. The CBE fit perfectly to the test pipes. Thanks to Logan and Will at AW Automotive for taking the time to align and center the exhaust tips and to make sure there were no leaks or potential for vibrations or rattles once installed. Perfect job as always.

The sound. Pure bliss! At startup the low and deep rumble is noticeable without being obnoxious. At idle, it purrs just loud enough so others will take notice.

On on the highway the drone is minimal at cruising speed (3k rpm). From WOT the sound is deep and growling without rasp or rattle. It no longer sounds like a wannabe V8. Rather, the low deep growl continues to grow to redline like the VQ should - just enough to let you know it’s there but without having to feel embarrassed about the sound being emitted from one’s tailpipes. In short, instead ‘babying the throttle’ thru its shift points in hopes of avoiding unwanted attention, now I happily depress the throttle to hear the growl.

As as a side note, I definitely think it’s mire responsive on the top end with matches piping diameter from the test pipes all the way back. At least it feels more responsive on the top end than my previous setup with just the resonators.

Overall I’m extremely pleased with the results, both aesthetically, audibly and performance wise. Next up is a scheduled dyno and tune at AW Automotive in hopes of tying everything together to maximize bolt-ons and to improve overall drivability.

Below are a few pics of the ride and a short video of start-up (the audio cuts on for a brief second during the video).

Last edited by NBDT; 01-25-2019 at 09:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
face05 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 PM
hadialkh97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the detailed review. I have been looking into this combo for 2 months. I am going to pull the trigger for on it. I will let you know how does it go for me.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:46 PM
NBDT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hadialkh97
Thank you very much for the detailed review. I have been looking into this combo for 2 months. I am going to pull the trigger for on it. I will let you know how does it go for me.
I had a great purchase experience with THMotorsports.

The test pipes+Ark Grip CBE still leaves a smile on my face. Love it. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:16 PM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Just wanted to add on my experience on this for anyone curious....The ARK is not a loud exhaust even when paired up with TP (I have ART pipes with ARK exhaust). Like OP says, it's noticeable and respectable. I do wish it was a little louder and slightly more throaty.

But personally from a sound perspective, I enjoyed my muffler delete with OEM cats the best so far lol
Old 04-18-2020, 09:50 AM
Corey Morgan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by axis.
Just wanted to add on my experience on this for anyone curious....The ARK is not a loud exhaust even when paired up with TP (I have ART pipes with ARK exhaust). Like OP says, it's noticeable and respectable. I do wish it was a little louder and slightly more throaty.

But personally from a sound perspective, I enjoyed my muffler delete with OEM cats the best so far lol
Axis so you have the Art test pipes and the Ark Grip exhaust? I have the same set up and I'm getting rasp, I trimmed the bolt and still have a metallic Ricer sound? Did you experience any of this?