Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help no start after oil gallery gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 09:42 PM
Purist
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
no start after oil gallery gasket job

so after doing the oil gallery gaskets on my car and putting everything back together, the engine does not want to start
it cranks but sounds like a timing issue? does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be before i go tearing it all apart again?

here's a clip

there are no codes being thrown and trying to run it with only 1 of either cam sensors was the same thing
car sat with battery disconnected for like a week and was running fine before. ive checked all connectors are plugged in, battery is charged, has fuel, oil, coolant, and spark plugs are basically new

this is the last photo of cams/phasers i took before setting TDC to remove guides and tensioner

what is really worrying me now is that cylinder 1 only has 120psi compression now while #2 about 170, and the rest 180... not sure what the numbers were before the tear down
how screwed am i? any help would be appreciated
Old 01-06-2024, 09:48 PM
Natecamp85
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Purist
so after doing the oil gallery gaskets on my car and putting everything back together, the engine does not want to start
it cranks but sounds like a timing issue? does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be before i go tearing it all apart again?

here's a clip
https://youtube.com/shorts/1f42C2Mn5rw

there are no codes being thrown and trying to run it with only 1 of either cam sensors was the same thing
car sat with battery disconnected for like a week and was running fine before. ive checked all connectors are plugged in, battery is charged, has fuel, oil, coolant, and spark plugs are basically new

this is the last photo of cams/phasers i took before setting TDC to remove guides and tensioner

what is really worrying me now is that cylinder 1 only has 120psi compression now while #2 about 170, and the rest 180... not sure what the numbers were before the tear down
how screwed am i? any help would be appreciated
Did you pull all the slack from the water pump side ?
and did you line up all the marks?
Old 01-07-2024, 09:19 PM
Purist
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Natecamp85
Did you pull all the slack from the water pump side ?
and did you line up all the marks?
Pump side was tight. I lined up the marks but did not double check my work after reinstalling the tensioner. Lesson learned

I took the front cover off again today and verified something is off. All the Cam marks lined up but the crank looks like it's a solid 15deg off?? Also the main chain teeth are nowhere near where they should be

What would be the best approach to re time the engine considering both cams are correct but the main chain isnt?
The following users liked this post:
Kpmikey808 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 10:20 PM
Purist
Registered Member

update: educated myself with some forum posts and videos on the vq timing system and was able reset everything. after putting it all back together the 2nd time the car fired up instantly and runs smoother than ever
The following 3 users liked this post by Purist:
beefychicken (01-11-2024), Kpmikey808 (01-11-2024), petemo94 (01-31-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 01:26 AM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
update: educated myself with some forum posts and videos on the vq timing system and was able reset everything. after putting it all back together the 2nd time the car fired up instantly and runs smoother than ever

that’s awesome you got it back running again 🙌
Old 01-28-2024, 04:43 PM
debianivanov
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you explain how did you manage to fix the timing of the crankshaft when your camshaft timing was good?