Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help ECU replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 08:56 PM
Dtyler
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU replacement

If I replace my ECU, and I buy a new key fob.. I know I need to get it program by a locksmith automotive. Is there anything else I need to purchase for my vehicle to run?

Also, if I purchase the same part number ECU. Well I need to get it program to my vehicle or am I able to run it after my key is program to the ECU?

Thank you!!
Old 08-06-2021, 01:13 PM
DonaldMoore
Registered Member

Yes, an automotive locksmith can program it, and then you can use it with the Sedan.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:32 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by Dtyler
If I replace my ECU, and I buy a new key fob.. I know I need to get it program by a locksmith automotive. Is there anything else I need to purchase for my vehicle to run?
Also, if I purchase the same part number ECU. Well I need to get it program to my vehicle or am I able to run it after my key is program to the ECU?
Thank you!!
Contact Eugene @ https://www.yelp.ca/biz/enthusiast-auto-care-concord
and he will give you some affordable options.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2021, 08:18 PM
Dtyler
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ

Good luck!
Hey SonicVQ,

I have looked him up and hes pretty far from me.

Does anyone know if I need to get a BCM as well or can I use my old one? So what I am trying to do is swap my TUNED ECU out when I need to get it smog here in Cali, there fore I am wondering what I would need aside from another ECU, key fob...

Thank you
Old 09-07-2021, 12:10 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Hey SonicVQ,

Does anyone know if I need to get a BCM as well or can I use my old one? So what I am trying to do is swap my TUNED ECU out when I need to get it smog here in Cali, there fore I am wondering what I would need aside from another ECU, key fob...

Thank you
What you need to do is have the spare ECM tuned and remove the NATS (security). You cannot have two ECMs programmed to the car so it's better to mess with the spare one.
The only issue is you'll have to live with the security light on since it doesnt have NATS. There is no way around this unless you want to re program your ecm every time you plug in the other one.

By having the spare ecm tuned and NATS deleted you dont have to reprogram anything nor mess with your BCM and your original fob will work with both.

This is currently what I did, I have my OEM ecm in the garage while the tuned/NATS ecm is in the car. I just deal with the light. It was nice to be able to swap my old ECM back and start the car like normal.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:53 AM
Dtyler
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ

Good luck!
Originally Posted by BULL
What you need to do is have the spare ECM tuned and remove the NATS (security). You cannot have two ECMs programmed to the car so it's better to mess with the spare one.
The only issue is you'll have to live with the security light on since it doesnt have NATS. There is no way around this unless you want to re program your ecm every time you plug in the other one.

By having the spare ecm tuned and NATS deleted you dont have to reprogram anything nor mess with your BCM and your original fob will work with both.

This is currently what I did, I have my OEM ecm in the garage while the tuned/NATS ecm is in the car. I just deal with the light. It was nice to be able to swap my old ECM back and start the car like normal.

Its a little late to now.... The Ecu that came with my car is tuned already. I figured if I get the spare, I can use that for a smog. Question is would I need to get a spare BCM to go with the new programmed ECU as well?
Old 10-29-2021, 01:00 AM
reliable
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question

Just wondering because I have the same issue… if I get a key, BCM, and ECU can I swap all three out and avoid the NATS issue and then swap back to a tuned ECU?
Old 10-29-2021, 11:15 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by reliable
Just wondering because I have the same issue… if I get a key, BCM, and ECU can I swap all three out and avoid the NATS issue and then swap back to a tuned ECU?
Yes. Matching BCM, KEY and ECM will be needed to bring it all back to stock without programing, then swap back to the old components.

I ended up going another route, I kept my OEM ECM then removed NATS on my tuned one. This way I can utilize the tuned ecm on anything. This way keep matching fobs and I dont need to mess with the BCM

PS: The only way this will work is if you swap BCMs or remove NATS on one of the ECUs. You can only program one Key code to the car at a time.
If you dont mind dealing with the NATS light I would go swap to the new BCM, ECM, KEY for what you need then just a plain ECM swap will get you back to tuned.
The following users liked this post:
reliable (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 08:28 PM
reliable
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. Matching BCM, KEY and ECM will be needed to bring it all back to stock without programing, then swap back to the old components.

I ended up going another route, I kept my OEM ECM then removed NATS on my tuned one. This way I can utilize the tuned ecm on anything. This way keep matching fobs and I dont need to mess with the BCM

PS: The only way this will work is if you swap BCMs or remove NATS on one of the ECUs. You can only program one Key code to the car at a time.
If you dont mind dealing with the NATS light I would go swap to the new BCM, ECM, KEY for what you need then just a plain ECM swap will get you back to tuned.
Cool. What I’m thinking to do is register one key to an ECU+BCM combo with the tune, then switch to a different Key+ECU+BCM for the stock. My understand is switching ECU+BCM is not any extra work because they’re next to each other and this means I don’t need to bother my tuner.

Would that work / does that make sense?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:45 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey SonicVQ,

Thank you
It's all done as a mail-in service, you don't need to be local.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:36 PM
BULL
Moderador

Cool. What I’m thinking to do is register one key to an ECU+BCM combo with the tune, then switch to a different Key+ECU+BCM for the stock. My understand is switching ECU+BCM is not any extra work because they’re next to each other and this means I don’t need to bother my tuner.

That will work. It would also work if you deleted NATS on the tuned ECM this way you only need 1 Key, 1 BCM and 2 ECMs instead of double everything.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:59 PM
Chris Reynolds
Registered Member

I have a spare ECU if interested,
Old 01-30-2024, 10:07 PM
arnoosh

I want to do the same thing, have two separate ECUs without disabling NATs. One stock ECU and the other Tuned. I want to switch between them without reprogramming every time. Did it work for you?