Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Issues after gallery gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 10:32 PM
Red_G
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Issues after gallery gasket replacement

Took my G37 to get the gallery gaskets done, and now the car seems to be having intermittent timing issues at idle, if that's even possible. Working through it with the mechanic(guy only works on z cars) now, but wanted to get some thoughts from you all as well.

The timing is physically correct, but sometimes at idle it will start idling poorly, rpm stays the same, and will throw a code for random misfires(p0300) and intake camshaft in bank 1 being advanced(p0011). After this happens, car will not wont to rev past 3000ish rpm and buck(think like someone constantly releasing and engaging the clutch) until brought below 3000rpm, this is does not feel like any limp mode I've ever felt. Whenever the code is not thrown or if I keep the rpms above 1000rpm the car drives and pulls fine, hell when I picked it up the mechanic took me for a ride and did a pull in a second to redline, it was fine. If the timing were physically off, this would be an all the time issue. Bringing the car back over to him to check out saturday, but am a little concerned it will reveal nothing if for whatever reason it decides to not act up on the way there(unlikely but possible)

The car gets real loud when the motor starts getting shaky and stuttery at idle, sounds like it has aftermarket cams(ridiculous comparison I know, but it has that "chopping" sound)

Now, my gallery gaskets were blown, so I have some thoughts here and wanted to bounce it off the forum. I was thinking maybe the vvel solenoid is somehow broken or "confused" due to the gaskets being blown(I have no idea how long they were blown, I was under the assumption they were fine when I took it in.) as they rely on the hydraulic pressure of the oil(correct me if im wrong here). thinking maybe those screens could be a bit clogged or they just got messed up from the lack of oil pressure

Other thought is maybe the camshaft position sensor failed during removal and reinstallation. Right now, my mechanics thought is on the camshaft position sensor having issues, but he plans to give it a thorough look over or tear it all back apart and redo if need be.

Car has no performance bolt ons, just some suspension goodies
Old 02-02-2021, 10:37 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Red_G
Took my G37 to get the gallery gaskets done, and now the car seems to be having intermittent timing issues at idle, if that's even possible. Working through it with the mechanic(guy only works on z cars) now, but wanted to get some thoughts from you all as well.

The timing is physically correct, but sometimes at idle it will start idling poorly, rpm stays the same, and will throw a code for random misfires(p0300) and intake camshaft in bank 1 being advanced(p0011). After this happens, car will not wont to rev past 3000ish rpm and buck(think like someone constantly releasing and engaging the clutch) until brought below 3000rpm, this is does not feel like any limp mode I've ever felt. Whenever the code is not thrown or if I keep the rpms above 1000rpm the car drives and pulls fine, hell when I picked it up the mechanic took me for a ride and did a pull in a second to redline, it was fine. If the timing were physically off, this would be an all the time issue. Bringing the car back over to him to check out saturday, but am a little concerned it will reveal nothing if for whatever reason it decides to not act up on the way there(unlikely but possible)

The car gets real loud when the motor starts getting shaky and stuttery at idle, sounds like it has aftermarket cams(ridiculous comparison I know, but it has that "chopping" sound)

Now, my gallery gaskets were blown, so I have some thoughts here and wanted to bounce it off the forum. I was thinking maybe the vvel solenoid is somehow broken or "confused" due to the gaskets being blown(I have no idea how long they were blown, I was under the assumption they were fine when I took it in.) as they rely on the hydraulic pressure of the oil(correct me if im wrong here). thinking maybe those screens could be a bit clogged or they just got messed up from the lack of oil pressure

Other thought is maybe the camshaft position sensor failed during removal and reinstallation. Right now, my mechanics thought is on the camshaft position sensor having issues, but he plans to give it a thorough look over or tear it all back apart and redo if need be.

Car has no performance bolt ons, just some suspension goodies
It is possible to have over looked the cam phaser. As the gaskets fail the engine tries to send whatever pressure it can to the phasers, these phasers retard automatically without pressure so it is possible that the "wheel" on the phaser might have slipped over time while trying to adjust and gotten stuck in retarded or that there is a possible blockage preventing it from functioning properly as long as the cam sensor passes as good.
An oil pressure test will determine if the gasket is holding. Be advised that though physical timing can be correct the reading on of the Toothed wheel can be off(indicating slipped). This plus a dead phaser or faulty sensors should be your only faults.

Check what I mean.
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...derslipped.pdf

Also this thread is picture extensive on what a slipped encoder ring should look like. It appears to be pressed in so you already know high oil temperatures and lack of pressures can create havoc in these.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...g-weird-2.html
Old 02-21-2021, 05:33 PM
Red_G
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woah, I didnt think anybody responded to this thread. Anyway, the mechanic gave me a call back and said they ****ed up and filled with 10w40 instead of 5w30. This would probably be okay if it weren't like 20 degrees outside currently. He changed the oil out and cleaned up the vvel solenoids(just to be safe) and all is well. For the trouble, he cut me a break on labor for the next job; Had him throw in a clutch for like 3/4 labor