Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

P0524 and low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 03:38 PM
haveyoumetcp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0524 and low oil pressure

So I have a 2009 G37S with about 93,000 miles on it and I am getting the P0524 CEL. I got it starting around 85,000 miles and I took it in to a shop (specialty Nissan/Infiniti shop) as it was in limp mode and I was like WTF! They said they just cleared the code and it was driving fine. I was also having the cruise control issue with the ASCD switch. So, I was hoping these has something to do with each other. However, I replaced the ASCD switch and that was fixed but I got the P0524 CEL again and the car went into limp mode.

So, I checked the oil pressure and looks like I'm running ~5 psi at idle and ~35 psi at 2,000 RPM; which is obviously below the 14/43 psi per the FSM. I've read quite a bit about the rear timing gasket failure and I'm sure that's the issue here but just have a few questions.

Is there anything else that could be the issue?
If it is the rear timing gaskets seems like these are the 2 parts needed (13533-JK21A and 13533-JK21B), correct?
From looking at some pictures of the engine with the front cover removed it looks like the 2 access panels should be able to be removed without removing the timing chain. Is this possible?

I've changed the timing chain on my 240SX and on my previous car 2005 Altima SE-R with the VQ35DE. So, I may try to do this myself. Just want to get as much information as I can.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
While you're at it, check the FRONT oil galley gasket under the front timing cover. Literally reading a thread over on the370z forum where a guy grenades his motor in spectacular fashion due to the front galley gasket, which is under the front timing cover, blowing out and causing oil pressure loss.
Help please, I blew my motor and need to plan the rebuild - Page 5 - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 06-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Could it be something else? Yes. Is it LIKELY to be something else? Probably not. There is a stickied thread at the top of this sub sorum with the part numbers you need. There is also another stickied thread under the coupe section I believe that has the discussion.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 PM
haveyoumetcp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
While you're at it, check the FRONT oil galley gasket under the front timing cover. Literally reading a thread over on the370z forum where a guy grenades his motor in spectacular fashion due to the front galley gasket, which is under the front timing cover, blowing out and causing oil pressure loss.
Help please, I blew my motor and need to plan the rebuild - Page 5 - Nissan 370Z Forum
Thanks I'll have to check that out, hadn't seen anything about the front galley gasket having issues.

Originally Posted by Waste86
Could it be something else? Yes. Is it LIKELY to be something else? Probably not. There is a stickied thread at the top of this sub sorum with the part numbers you need. There is also another stickied thread under the coupe section I believe that has the discussion.
Yea I'm obviously aware this is likely the issue. I've seen other posts where it may have been the Intake Timing Control Valve solenoid was the problem. So, I was just trying to see if anyone had any ideas, and clearly you don't.
Yes, I have certainly seen the stickied post about this, hence I'm not here posting just about having the P0524 code and just asking about that. I've seen most people seem to have the P0021 code in addition to the P0524 code, but I am not getting the P0021.