Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 engine rattling noise after galley gasket repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine rattling noise after galley gasket repair

This has started right after the galley gasket repair at 90K miles. The noise happens only at around 2500 RPM.
The noise is coming form engine itself.
Both catalytic converters were replaced by new EOM ones. And it is not heat shields as I knocked with rubber mallet everywhere.

Please help identify the problem/
ps I'm sick and tired fixing this car.

https://youtu.be/HhKi4Pi2IS0

Last edited by Eugenius; 10-06-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:13 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
I can't say what the noise is, but a surprisingly common source of rattle is the windshield washer reservoir cap.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I can't say what the noise is, but a surprisingly common source of rattle is the windshield washer reservoir cap.
This noise is very pronounced even 100 feet away.
i don’t think plastic cap would make such rattle.
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (10-16-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 12:26 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Take it back. Something was incorrectly repaired or left un placed. Definitely something rotational in the engine.
Eugenius (10-15-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Take it back. Something was incorrectly repaired or left un placed. Definitely something rotational in the engine.
The shop is reporting that the engine probably severely damaged due to low oil pressure and need new engine.
Which is hard to swallow at this point as the Blackstone lab is returning all the time below average metal results and there was no noise like this before.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:39 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Eugenius
The shop is reporting that the engine probably severely damaged due to low oil pressure and need new engine.
Which is hard to swallow at this point as the Blackstone lab is returning all the time below average metal results and there was no noise like this before.
I'm calling BS. The gallery gaskets do not mean damage to the engine. It can be ran fine for years. Hell most dont even know they have the issue.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

I'm calling BS. The gallery gaskets do not mean damage to the engine. It can be ran fine for years. Hell most dont even know they have the issue.
Yeah, sadly, I sense the same.

this is the exact response form the shop:

Eugene,

Removed timing cover and found oil galley gasket job completed correctly, no loose parts or missing. Found main tensioner and upper tension guide worn, also found retaining tabs on upper guide missing. Recommend to replace and recheck, if noise is not gone suspect worn timing components and would recommend a used engine over redoing entire timing components.
We see slight wear on tensioner and the the broken retaining tabs on the guide at the top, recommend replace and recheck
The total amount again $1100
Old 10-10-2019, 01:10 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

They should have told you all this before resealing the engine. That really blows. Idk man. I dont think you have much recourse. Maybe a second opinion. Or drive it until it blows and swap it. Sorry man.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

They should have told you all this before resealing the engine. That really blows. Idk man. I dont think you have much recourse. Maybe a second opinion. Or drive it until it blows and swap it. Sorry man.
Thank you for the support, feeling down little bit
Old 10-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Btw It is a reputable nissan/infiniti shop around our area and doing a lot of galley gaskets repairs, but seems like my case is different.
Don't know what to think now...
Old 10-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Listening to that it almost sounds like the timing chain guides. My dad had an Audi that when not properly lubricated (Like on cold-start) would make a noise incredibly similar to that. Motor was pulled and tensioners and guides replaced. Noise disappeared.

It would either be that, or there's a chance the shop straight-up didn't tighten the tensioners or some other parts in the same area. It's not right, they should be replacing the parts on their dime IMO.
Eugenius (10-15-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Conboss
Listening to that it almost sounds like the timing chain guides. My dad had an Audi that when not properly lubricated (Like on cold-start) would make a noise incredibly similar to that. Motor was pulled and tensioners and guides replaced. Noise disappeared.

It would either be that, or there's a chance the shop straight-up didn't tighten the tensioners or some other parts in the same area. It's not right, they should be replacing the parts on their dime IMO.
Thank you. The manager at the shop says that the technicians always check everything before putting the front cover back and there was no noise when I picked the car.
I do not think it is possible to win the argument here, as I was not there looking over shoulder when they were fixing for first time.
I'm really hoping that this will fix the issue, if it checks out then it would be recommendation for others to replace the tensioner and guides during the gasket job.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:27 PM
tiguy99
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time for an attorney.
May be cheaper to have legal counsel intervention vs going back and forth with the shop.

Few phone calls may be worth it in this case
llebcire (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Conboss
Listening to that it almost sounds like the timing chain guides. My dad had an Audi that when not properly lubricated (Like on cold-start) would make a noise incredibly similar to that. Motor was pulled and tensioners and guides replaced. Noise disappeared..
You were right on the money. After the shop replaced tensioner and guides, noise is gone, at least for now.

Last edited by Eugenius; 10-15-2019 at 02:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eugenius:
llebcire (10-16-2019), PNW_IPL (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Eugenius
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Time for an attorney.
May be cheaper to have legal counsel intervention vs going back and forth with the shop.

Few phone calls may be worth it in this case
This shop is a family business and looks like good people are running it.
I tend to believe what they are saying and doing.
Besides there is no such shop around which is specializing on Nissan/Infiniti products and has a lot of expertise in it, except dealerships which charge way and way more.