Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FSM - Gear Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
FSM - Gear Oil Question

Can someone plz explain this for me

"For 7A/T 2WD models: API GL-5 synthetic gear oil, Vis- cosity SAE 75W-90*5 Except for 7A/T 2WD models: Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80W-90 or API GL-5, Viscosity SAE 80W- 90"
Old 05-23-2019, 09:08 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
It’s pretty clear, what do you need help with?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:27 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Corprin
It’s pretty clear, what do you need help with?
Should I be using 75w90 or 80w90?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:07 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

as you can see there is a front n rear section
Old 05-24-2019, 01:04 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
Majority uses 75W90
Old 05-24-2019, 05:46 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Said Amir
Majority uses 75W90
I know what the majority uses but I want some one to explain exactly what it means, I've called many different dealers, now some dealers say 75w90 front n 80w90 rear n others say 80w90 front 80w90 rear. So which 1 is called for per FSM
Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
You are really stressing for 5 digits? Just use either it’s just gear oil lol. The engineers did their work and that’s what it is recommended, choose one.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

I plan on getting redline 75w90 front n rear BUT I would like to know what the actual specs are that's really it a desire for info is all. I called multiple infinit dealers n non can answer the question straight, the moment they open the the FSM they get confused, n simply say "well we've been doing it like this" which is not really an answer.

Last edited by Redgoyabean; 05-24-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
I know what the majority uses but I want some one to explain exactly what it means, I've called many different dealers, now some dealers say 75w90 front n 80w90 rear n others say 80w90 front 80w90 rear. So which 1 is called for per FSM
Am I missing something?...The original quote is for 2WD vehicle applications (which only have rear differentials) ...you seem to be asking dealerships about an AWD vehicle which have a front and rear differential...not that it really matters TBH as the difference in weight is minuscule but I would speculate that the difference is most likely related to the fact that some RWD G's have LSD's and it used to be that gear oil for LSD's would have friction modifiers...they may be reccomending a particular brand/type in a particular weight that is a "better application" without friction modifiers or that works better with friction modifiers....it could also partly be a poor translation/writing...they update things like this in the FSM manuals all the time...just look a a similar section for a newer year...on something like this the component will not have changed but the recommendations may have...lol sometimes they revise recommendations to the point that they will be the opposite of previous iterations of the FSM's recommendation...lol I have found at least one of those as it relates to a the rear differential alone on these cars
Old 05-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
Am I missing something?...The original quote is for 2WD vehicle applications (which only have rear differentials) ...you seem to be asking dealerships about an AWD vehicle which have a front and rear differential...not that it really matters TBH as the difference in weight is minuscule but I would speculate that the difference is most likely related to the fact that some RWD G's have LSD's and it used to be that gear oil for LSD's would have friction modifiers...they may be reccomending a particular brand/type in a particular weight that is a "better application" without friction modifiers or that works better with friction modifiers....it could also partly be a poor translation/writing...they update things like this in the FSM manuals all the time...just look a a similar section for a newer year...on something like this the component will not have changed but the recommendations may have...lol sometimes they revise recommendations to the point that they will be the opposite of previous iterations of the FSM's recommendation...lol I have found at least one of those as it relates to a the rear differential alone on these cars
The pic posted is from the FSM for a 2013 g37X sedan not RWD, like I said when I called the dealer their pulling up the same exact info n getting stumped the moment they look over the FSM, but I guess I can look at the Q40 FSM being that it should a newer version. It's crazy cause some dealers only use matic s for the transfer case n other dealers only use matic j, the dealers that's use matic s say matic j has been discontinued n no longer being used buuuut the dealers who use matic j say they've been stocking n using forever so like I said I'm just trying to find out exactly what's what's, at the end of the day if I had my dealer do the work they be using whatever brand n weight they use but its just a desire for info, thanks.

Last edited by Redgoyabean; 05-24-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

What Pic?...I just see your quote..AFAIK the FSMs for any given year include the parts for RWD and AWD models...also your quote specifically refers to 2WD (i.e. RWD) cars twice...are you sure you're reading the right part of the manual?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

What Pic?...I just see your quote..AFAIK the FSMs for any given year include the parts for RWD and AWD models...also your quote specifically refers to 2WD (i.e. RWD) cars twice...are you sure you're reading the right part of the manual?

Old 05-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

^^^^
Sorry thought I posted the pic already.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

OK I see.

You have to read the quote with the footnotes and read the chart across horizontally.

This is how it is read:

1. For RWD cars: API GL-5 synthetic gear oil, Viscosity SAE 75W-90 Footnotes 5 says to see an INFINITI retailer for the brand type recommendation.

2. For AWD: Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80W-90 or API GL-5, Viscosity SAE 80W- 90 but footnote 4 says use viscosity SAE 90 for ambient temperatures above 32°F (0°C)" (they're recommending both a brand and weight) this applies to both front and rear.

For your situation:

Use an SAE 90 for front and rear differentials if you live in a climate that remains above 32°F
Use a 80W-90 for front and rear differentials if you live in a climate that has a broader range of temperatures.

As I said before, previous FSMs have different recommendations especially for fluids and the recommendations change depending on climate as well. These cars have been in production on almost the exact same chassis for about 9 years and the rear differential on these cars has been used for at least 13 years...they learn new things and change their recommendations on disposal items like fluids over time...there is no right or wrong way to this...its an evolving understanding leading to a more precise recommendation...the FSM you are using was revised in August 2012...it may be different now 5 years later...
The following users liked this post:
G37XS13 (03-09-2022)
Old 05-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

OK I see.

You have to read the quote with the footnotes and read the chart across horizontally.

This is how it is read:

1. For RWD cars: API GL-5 synthetic gear oil, Viscosity SAE 75W-90 Footnotes 5 says to see an INFINITI retailer for the brand type recommendation.

2. For AWD: Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80W-90 or API GL-5, Viscosity SAE 80W- 90 but footnote 4 says use viscosity SAE 90 for ambient temperatures above 32°F (0°C)" (they're recommending both a brand and weight) this applies to both front and rear.

For your situation:

Use an SAE 90 for front and rear differentials if you live in a climate that remains above 32°F
Use a 80W-90 for front and rear differentials if you live in a climate that has a broader range of temperatures.

As I said before, previous FSMs have different recommendations especially for fluids and the recommendations change depending on climate as well. These cars have been in production on almost the exact same chassis for about 9 years and the rear differential on these cars has been used for at least 13 years...they learn new things and change their recommendations on disposal items like fluids over time...there is no right or wrong way to this...its an evolving understanding leading to a more precise recommendation...the FSM you are using was revised in August 2012...it may be different now 5 years later...
Thank you so much for that explanation, now I know n now I can rest, thank you. You should call some dealers n educate them a little, I called about 9 different dealers not 1 straight answer but you cleared it up like butter, gotta love this form.

Quick Reply: FSM - Gear Oil Question