Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7AT Replacement at 85k miles - 2012 G37xS Coupe

Old 04-15-2019, 09:38 AM
XxRoyerxX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7AT Replacement at 85k miles - 2012 G37xS Coupe

Had no signs of any issues up until Friday. It revved up to 4-5k rpms and didn't want to go into 2nd. Then it jerked really hard and shifted. I got it towed to the dealer and they called in today saying the transmission is completely shot. There's metal fragments in the transmission fluid. The first quote they gave was $8700 plus tax for a full transmission replacement and radiator replacement. They said they are concerned there are metal flakes in the radiator fluid. They called around and found a used one for a new total of $5150 plus tax. It even has a lifetime warranty on it somehow. They also said that not replacing the radiator is an option, but they don't recommend it. That would save $1400. I can cover the costs, I'm just in disbelief that this happened. Is it worth it to not replace the radiator?

What do you guys think I should do?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:56 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
How far out of warranty are you? May be worthwhile to at least reach out to Infiniti USA to make a case that this should be covered. Especially if this is a widespread issue (have no clue if it is but worth researching)

I only say this because my previous car ('07 Subaru Legacy) had an issue where it started leaking oil and there had been a lot of complaints of head gasket leaks for this engine, which was in most of their cars at the time. I was just outside the warranty (hit the years before mileage) so I called Subaru of America and they agreed to cover half the cost of the repair. Can't hurt to ask!
The following users liked this post:
XxRoyerxX (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Radiator replacement is $1400? That seems high.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:01 AM
XxRoyerxX

The warranty was up at 70,000 miles, so 15k over. How would I go about asking for something like that? Do I ask if this is a common issue? Do I ask if they'll cover the costs? I just don't see them helping me out at all, but I'm open to anything.

From what I searched, it doesn't seem to be a common problem. Can't really find any other instances of this.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:08 AM
XxRoyerxX

Originally Posted by Selym
Radiator replacement is $1400? That seems high.
That's what my friend thought too. I'm getting a quote from another garage that specializes in transmissions.

Edit: That garage's transmission dealer doesn't have my transmission available. He did say that the radiator quote seemed awfully high.

Last edited by XxRoyerxX; 04-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 AM
XxRoyerxX

Originally Posted by NealP
How far out of warranty are you? May be worthwhile to at least reach out to Infiniti USA to make a case that this should be covered. Especially if this is a widespread issue (have no clue if it is but worth researching)

I only say this because my previous car ('07 Subaru Legacy) had an issue where it started leaking oil and there had been a lot of complaints of head gasket leaks for this engine, which was in most of their cars at the time. I was just outside the warranty (hit the years before mileage) so I called Subaru of America and they agreed to cover half the cost of the repair. Can't hurt to ask!
Thank you for the suggestion. I called them and they are putting in a case number for my issue. They said a local representative will be reaching out to me tomorrow with any possible "good will" as he said. I put off the decision at the dealership for now until I hear from consumer affairs. Fingers crossed, but I have my doubts they will do a lot. It's worth a shot though, so again thanks for bringing that up.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:04 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Originally Posted by XxRoyerxX
Thank you for the suggestion. I called them and they are putting in a case number for my issue. They said a local representative will be reaching out to me tomorrow with any possible "good will" as he said. I put off the decision at the dealership for now until I hear from consumer affairs. Fingers crossed, but I have my doubts they will do a lot. It's worth a shot though, so again thanks for bringing that up.
No problem! They may tell you to pound sand but it can't hurt to try and will only cost your time. If you have records showing you did all required maintenance and/or if you can find examples of others having transmission issues that'll help. May not be relevant but you can try pointing out this TSB (https://infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB12-027c.pdf) showing there are issues with their transmission/ECU and ask if this was performed. This may only apply if you've complained of these symptoms before and if they didn't do the TSB ask if it could have been part of the issue? Sure, it's a long shot but again, it's worth a try!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Infiniti recommends replacing the radiator because there is a heat exchanger in the driver's side end tank that is used to cool the transmission's fluid. There's no way to get at it for replacement (economically) and no way to guarantee a flush will remove any and all metal bits. Typical dealer mark-up is why they want $1,400. An independent will do for half the price but good luck getting Infiniti to warranty another transmission if they don't also replace the radiator themselves.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
So what did they say?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:51 AM
XxRoyerxX

Originally Posted by mummy2
So what did they say?
Ended up covering 50%, and said they did not need the new radiator, just a flush. Ended up being ~$3400 with tax, so not horrible. But it's definitely changed my mind about sticking with Infiniti.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:22 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Ended up covering 50%, and said they did not need the new radiator, just a flush. Ended up being ~$3400 with tax, so not horrible. But it's definitely changed my mind about sticking with Infiniti.
That's awesome news!