Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Mystery sound.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:50 PM
&Beyond37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery sound.

Hello this is my very first post on here so here it goes, I drive a 2011 g37 sport. (2dr).
I've been herding this noise that sounds like I have a supercharger, at idle and now in every gear. I've read around and have come to the conclusion that maybe it's the Throw out bearing/ slave cylinder. I replaced that paid a crazy amount of money but I replaced it and to my surprise the noise is still there...

has anybody else come across this problem and if so what have you done to correct it? I'm sure other bearings come into play but before I go spend even MORE money I'd like some help to pin point what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Btw it's a 6spd ml.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:49 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like it could be powersteering column etc. Take a video of it!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:57 PM
&Beyond37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by josephwhan
Sounds like it could be powersteering column etc. Take a video of it!
Wow that's the first time I've heard that option. I'll post a video as soon as I can!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:38 PM
&Beyond37
Registered Member

Unfortunately it will not let me post the video. But I press clutch in noise stops let the clutch go it comes right back. Set off in first gear very noticeable 2-6 most people say they cant hear it but it's my car I hear it I know what it sounds like. I'll look into the steering column thank you so much.

I'm still open for anything else it could be. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
If noise goes away when you press the clutch the throw out is going out. It will sound like a cement mixer
Old 03-19-2019, 03:50 PM
&Beyond37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
If noise goes away when you press the clutch the throw out is going out. It will sound like a cement mixer
"throw out" meaning throw out bearing??
I've replace my throw out bearing already 2months ago in fact. Got it off the lift started her up and......same result. But maybe your talking about something I have no knowledge of, if that's the case please explain I'm all ears.
thanks
Old 03-19-2019, 04:26 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Maybe I don't know what a supercharger sounds like, but if the noise disappears when clutch is depressed... then power steering might not be it. Upload the video to youtube, then link us!
Old 03-19-2019, 06:00 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Did you replace the clutch along with the throw-out bearing? The clutch has springs to reduce shock load and the springs can break or unseat which will cause noise.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:00 PM
&Beyond37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Did you replace the clutch along with the throw-out bearing? The clutch has springs to reduce shock load and the springs can break or unseat which will cause noise.
I did not. Only the throw out bearing was replaced due to no warranty and budget issues. I know the right move would have been replacing the clutch since I was already half way there but at the time that was the most obvious place to start. The more I get into it seems like I just need a new clutch.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM
josephwhan
Registered Member

Where did you get it fixed at? A dealership or a mechanic? I would call and check with them to what extent the work done revealed when replacing throw out bearing.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 AM
&Beyond37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by josephwhan
Where did you get it fixed at? A dealership or a mechanic? I would call and check with them to what extent the work done revealed when replacing throw out bearing.
My brother in law went to school to be a mechanic been doing in for about 6 years now. After work I would go help out where I could but as far as the work goes all that we inspected was that throw bearing. Mainly because this problem to my knowledge when a sound like this get to this extent throw out bearing was the number one culprit...
Old 03-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Lucasa1321
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
I’m dealing with the same issue on my g37s coupe 6speed transmition I replaced 2 throw out bearings and the noise is still there.but once I step on clutch the noise goes away.i did get a stage2 clucth kit .can anyone help me out ?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 PM
Lucasa1321
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
can you post a picture as an example? Cause I’m having same issue
Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 AM
&Beyond37
Registered Member

I'm willing to bet that it will come down to either a new tranny and a new clutch. I've had this problem for almost a year, and I get different answers all the time. It sounds like a bearing I can hear it clear as day now. As miles go up the noise is getting worse.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:57 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucasa1321
can you post a picture as an example? Cause I’m having same issue
I tried to paste the picture but the site couldn't interpret it correctly.

370Z/G37 clutch plate

Quick Reply: Mystery sound.